WARNING - DANGEROUS MEDICANE FORMING

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It's heart breaking to see all the destruction in small seaside villages where we once spend so many years enjoying sailing around .
You have to wonder how much more these small Greek Towns can take , first the late tourist season and now this storm .
Also the lasting damages where in pass years the Ionian has been know for fair weather and novice sailor flock from all over the world to sail there will these storms now start to made people think twice .

Going back to what I and others have wrote about anchoring and the best way to weather these storm ,
In these powerful storm , the reality is you can set your anchor or how many anchors you like at the end of the day your at the mercy of the weather .
No amount of chain or anchor are going to be a match for wind and seas combin .

noelex

Visit site
I hope everyone stays safe. We spent several years in and around Greece, always at anchor even over winter. The winds can be strong, especially outside the normal sailing season.

The general consensus when we were cruising seemed to be that anchoring was not really safe in these strong wind events. Personally, I always felt safer at anchor using our own gear, and it is good to see similar views expressed in this thread.

We nearly always deployed a single big anchor, and as others have indicated, I think this is generally the best option. The biggest problem was always the risk of other boats dragging. This was not an issue over winter as we were invariably the only boat anchored even in popular spots, but at this time of year it is a more significant consideration. This applies especially in the Ionian where there are many boats accustomed to settled summer conditions with only poor anchoring gear. If you can dive and inspect the anchors of others boats it will help show which boats are vulnerable. Sometimes the best anchorage is a little less suitable on paper, but is less popular. Deeper anchorages are sometimes a great choice, as deeper spots are not often mentioned in the pilot books and boats with poor anchoring gear often only consider shallower anchorages.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...I always felt safer at anchor using our own gear...
We nearly always deployed a single big anchor...
The biggest problem was always the risk of other boats dragging...especially in the Ionian where there are many boats accustomed to settled summer conditions with only poor anchoring gear...
Sometimes the best anchorage is a little less suitable on paper, but is less popular.
Deeper anchorages are sometimes a great choice, as deeper spots are not often mentioned in the pilot books and boats with poor anchoring gear often only consider shallower anchorages.

Read and take note of all of the above, it's great advice.
Whilst I and others have mentioned Vonitsa, what I actually meant was the Amvrikos Gulf as a whole; that anchorage to the east of the islet at Vonitsa doesn't have the best of holding and with bad weather forecast you'll be sharing it with lots of other boats. Ignore the pilot books and look at your charts, we sat out more than a few ooh nasties in the NW corner of the gulf - Salaora Bay - and whilst the wind howls through, the water's flat and you'll be sharing the space with two or three others if it's busy, each 1/4 mile apart. Once upon finding a flotilla fleet plus others in Igoumenitsa Creek we instead anchored with one other boat in the area at the north side of Igoumenitsa Bay, east of the spit; it was very windy, but a steady blow rather than the 'gusty' conditions often encountered in theoretically more sheltered spots. When using Petalis further south, everyone invariably seems to anchor on the NW side (under the cave) but we'd often drop the hook further east; the shelter's not significantly worse, but you've a half mile's clearance on everyone else when the wind changes. Similarly, on those days when everyone's turning left and squeezing into the ever dwindling anchorage area at Vathi on Ithaca (is there any anchoring area left in there nowadays?) with it's patchy holding and vicious wind-gusts, we'd often instead carry on to anchor at the head of the gulf, near Aeteos, a bit rollier, but you're sharing the space with only 3 or 4 rather than 30 or 40 other yachts.

One final suggestion (an idea which we learnt one nasty night in Vathi) for when a big blow is forecast: Fasten a buoy/fender with a suitable length of line to your anchor chain and lightly tag it to the guardwires, if there's sudden wind increase/reversal and the whole fleet begins dragging in your direction, your quickest escape route is to drop rather than raise the anchor, just run out what's left, cut the rope at the bitter end and then return and recover it when things have settled down again.

Davy_S

Visit site
Forty three (43) boats in total, of various types, sank during the two days 17-18 / 09/2020 in Kefallinia, due to adverse weather conditions, while in nine (09) boats material damage was caused and nine (09) boats ran aground . Particularly: -one (01) boat sank in the port of Argostoli, material damage was caused to two (02), while a barge landed on a bridge and then was removed with the care of the owner, -in the Argostoli marina two (02) boats sank, while five (05) suffered material damage, -six (06) boats sank in the port of Maistratos, Argostoli, four of which were lifted with the care of their owners – two (02) boats sank in the port of Agia Pelagia -five (05) boats sank in the port of Agia Kyriaki – three (03) boats sank in the tourist port of Legatata Lixouri, -in the area “ATHERAS” Paliki sank four (04) boats, while one (01) ran aground, -four (04) boats sank in the port of Fiskardo, which were already lifted with the care of the owners, -in the bay “FOKI” sank two (02), -five (05) boats sank and four (04) ran aground in the port of “ASSOU”, – three (03) boats sank in the port of Sami -in the area “KARAVOMYLOS” one (01) boat sank and another (01) ran aground, -in the tourist port of Agia Efimia, five (05) boats sank and three (03) ran aground, while one (01) boat suffered material damage. -in the port of Poros Kefallinia one (01) boat suffered material damage. From the aforementioned incidents, no pollution of the marine environment was found, except for heavy alluvium and sediments in several ports and port facilities of the island, while no injury has been identified or reported. The Port Authorities of Kefallinia prohibited the departure of all the stranded boats and those that suffered material damage until the presentation of a relevant certificate of worthiness. plus 5,000 houses have been damaged!
PContinue reading at Sinkings, groundings and material damage to boats due to adverse weather conditions in Kefallinia - The Kefalonia Pulse | The Kefalonia Pulse

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Before the 2018 Medicane we laid out our spare anchor on deck and also had the main one with a line already on the chain, back through the pushpit ready to release. I thought about deploying it but wind shift was likely to be large and final direction could have been 180 deg. from starting point.

Main problem was finding a quiet spot and of course we got a last minute arrival late one night. We had about 70m chain out with the anchor as close to shore as possible. Another boat slightly behind had the same idea with the wind at an angle from the shore and expected to be at 90 deg. at the worst. A charter boat arrived, deployed about 10m of chain and ended up close to the other boat. We both pointed out that he'd drag and his anchor was certain to snag our chain, either now or later when the wind came round. I think he want to the town quay instead of just moving behind us.

I would certainly have avoided Vathi on Ithaca if we'd been in the Ionian. It does get crowded, holding is variable and gusts can be bad from SE as already mentioned earlier.

Tony Cross

Visit site
When using Petalis further south, everyone invariably seems to anchor on the NW side (under the cave) but we'd often drop the hook further east; the shelter's not significantly worse, but you've a half mile's clearance on everyone else when the wind changes.
Did anyone seek shelter from the Medicane in there (behind Nisis Petalas)? How was it? That's where I would have gone........

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Myself and my wife were talking about it when we heard about the storm before it hit and we thought that would be a good place, it's normally not busy even when every other place is
Same here, I mentioned in #4 that either Igoumenitsa creek or behind Petalas Island looked reasonable, depending on how far North or South we were cruising. I'd worry about Ig. Creek being very busy and had 2 other spots in mind in case. I have often wondered about holing up behind Petalas Island and would certainly have gone there instead of Vathi or Vlycho if I didn't have time to head well North (looked a lot safer about 80nm up the coast).

I have noticed boats dragging in a couple of spots behind Petalas Island, though they may just have lacked knowledge about anchoring. The wind certainly howls down from the North and can kick up a bit of chop. However, you can go quite a lot further into the bay than indicated on some Pilot notes and charts. I would be interested to hear from anyone who did hole up in that area. I imagine seasoned sailors may well have headed there as it is usually very quiet.

tchierici

Visit site
Any good allround bomb shelters in the Aegean? (as far as Naxos)
I remember Noussa bay being pretty good shelter and solid holding on sand. How did Poros fair in the 2018 event?

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
I heard from a friend who holed up in a bay on Meganisi as he wanted to avoid a quay. It sounds as if the area was quite busy and that would restrict his options. He mentions having a 25kg ROCNA and 20kg kedge at an angle off the bow plus another 20kg anchor at 90 degrees. Extra lines taken back to stern and midships cleat to spread the load. At least they came through it with little sleep and with little damage. The 20mm line to his 3rd anchor parted in the middle of the night.

He also mentioned a stern line to a small cat. behind him, I assume he veered it downwind in an attempt to help the smaller boat.

Good to hear that they are safe and well as I was getting a little worried.

wwalsh

Visit site
43 boats sunk at kefalonia :oops:
Kefalonia-Ianos: 43 boats sank in 48 hours ATHENS 9,84

Forty-three total boats, of various types, sank during the two days 17-18 / 09/2020 in Kefallinia, due to adverse weather conditions, while in nine (09) boats material damage was caused and nine (09) boats ran aground. Particularly:
-one (01) boat sank in the port of Argostoli, material damage was caused to two (02), while a barge landed on a bridge and then was removed with the care of the owner,
-in the Argostoli marina two (02) boats sank, while five (05) suffered material damage,
Six (06) boats sank in the port of Maistratos, Argostoli, four of which were lifted with the care of their owners
- two (02) boats sank in the port of Agia Pelagia
-five (05) boats sank in the port of Agia Kyriaki
- three (03) boats sank in the tourist port of Legatata Lixouri,
-in the area "ATHERAS" Paliki sank four (04) boats, while one (01) ran aground,
-four (04) boats sank in the port of Fiskardo, which were already lifted with the care of the owners,
-in the bay "FOKI" sank two (02) boats,
-five (05) boats sank and four (04) ran aground in the port of "ASSOU",
- three (03) boats sank in the port of Sami
-in the area "KARAVOMYLOS" sank one (01) boat and ran aground another (01),
- in the tourist port of Agia Efimia, five (05) boats sank and three (03) ran aground, while one (01) boat suffered material damage.
-in the port of Poros Kefallinia one (01) boat suffered material damage.
From the aforementioned incidents, no pollution of the marine environment was found, except for strong alluviums and carried materials in several ports and port facilities of the island, while no injury has been identified or reported.

also 39 at Ithaki

Posted by Hellenic Coastguard Press on Monday, 21/09/2020 - 01:37
Sinking, grounding and material damage to boats due to adverse weather conditions in Ithaca

Thirty-nine (39) boats in total, of various types, sank during the two days 17-18 / 09/2020 in Ithaca, due to adverse weather conditions, while one (01) boat ran aground and one (01) suffered material damage. Particularly:
-seventeen (17) boats sank in the port of Vathios and the bay of Dexa and one (01) suffered material damage,
twenty (20) boats sank in the port of Kionio,
-two (02) boats sank in the port of Polis Stavros Ithaca and,
-in the area of the bay of Schinos Ithaca, one (01) boat ran aground on the shore.
In the afternoon hours of 18-09-2020, the injury of a 64-year-old man who was aboard an E / P-T / R boat which was anchored in the middle of the port of Kionio and with the care of the Ithaca Port Authority after the improvement of the weather conditions was transported by patrol vehicle LS-EL.AKT. morning hours of 19-09-2020 at the Health Center of Ithaca, from where after the provision of first aid, he left the same day.
From the aforementioned incidents, no pollution of the marine environment was found, except for materials brought to the port of Vatheos, Ithaca.
The Port Authority of Ithaca prohibited the departure of all the above vessels until the submission of relevant certificates of airworthiness.

Last edited:

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
... material damage to boats due to adverse weather conditions in Ithaca...
The Port Authority of Ithaca prohibited the departure of all the above vessels until the submission of relevant certificates of airworthiness.

Glad ours wasn't amongst them, even on its very best day I don't think we ever had her fit to fly.

pmartin127

Visit site
Has anyone been into Kioni since the storm? I'm coming out on Sunday and would like to know whether there's any point heading to
Ithaca and Kioni and Frikes in particular.

From what I've read the harbour wall was pretty smashed up but lining to the shore opposite was viable but is anything open there.

I know that some places, such as Poppy and Nek's in Frikes, have simply shut early.

TIA

Davy_S

Visit site
This one in Agia Efimia needs a bit more Tcut.
ag3.png