Volvo Grey (OutDrive) RAL Colour?

alt

Visit site
Hi all,
As mentioned previously, i'll be re-spraying my DP-G outdrives soon. I'd like to get close (or as close as possible) to the original Volvo grey, I quite like it! Looking at the RAL chart below, if you were a guessing person, what number would you go with? I'm going with 7033, but i'd love to hear opinions...

ral08_01.jpg

BruceK

Visit site
tbh I dont think I have ever seen an unpainted ....as in no Antifoul.... outdrive. The grey I've seen is invariably Trilux 33 which then begs the question, why care getting an exact colour match?

Momac

Visit site
Its impossible to compare colours looking at a computer screen. It's hard enough in broad daylight. Not that it really matters for an outdrive that is mostly submerged when in use.

alt

Visit site
Just to confirm, I am on FRESH water hence not anti-fouling.

The out-drives were anti-fouled approx. 9 years ago (1 season on salt water) and in fairness they did a good job, however the out-drives now look grubby because of this hence why I want to sand off the remaining anti-foul / primer, sand a bit more to get a good key and then re-paint.

So far, the winning top coat seems to be Cromadex 700 based on tico's recommendation.

The issue now is, I don't know what primer to use. 95%+ will be keyed volvo paint base, with the remaining little bits bare metal (small bits down at the skeg)