Volvo 2020 engine odd starting behaviour

Visit site
Just a point guys, when checking glow plugs note a different formula for resistance in parallel to resistance in series. If you check them from a point all connected the result could be misleading, always best to disconnect and check individually.

TernVI

Visit site
Can anyone quote a figure for the resistance of a volvo glow plug? Then I can check mine in a 2030 without the need to dismantle.
Also, am I right that having just one working will give good starting so it's only when the last one fails that it's hard to start?
Derek
The 'resistance' will be quite different when it's hot. Measuring a cold one with a multimeter it will look much like a short.
There should be a current spec'd for it?

TSB240

Visit site
The glowplugs on the volvo 20x0 range are pretty robust.
If your starting is taking longer than usual try swapping over the relays in the black box on the side of the engine.
You may well notice on doing this that the glow plug relay has worked loose and is not giving its full current to the glowplugs. I always put an additional packer between the relays and the box lid to ensure they can't work loose on the terminals with engine vibration. I find our instrument illumination on the VP control panel dims considerably whilst preheating for 10 seconds if the glowplugs are working.

38mess

Visit site
Can anyone quote a figure for the resistance of a volvo glow plug? Then I can check mine in a 2030 without the need to dismantle.
Also, am I right that having just one working will give good starting so it's only when the last one fails that it's hard to start?
Derek
I had difficulty starting my Perkins M30, same engine, last winter, one glow plug had failed. Starts instantly now even in the coldest weather. Parts4engines have glow plugs in stock, it's the simplest job replacing them except the one nearest the injector pump.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
The glowplugs on the volvo 20x0 range are pretty robust.
If your starting is taking longer than usual try swapping over the relays in the black box on the side of the engine.
You may well notice on doing this that the glow plug relay has worked loose and is not giving its full current to the glowplugs. I always put an additional packer between the relays and the box lid to ensure they can't work loose on the terminals with engine vibration. I find our instrument illumination on the VP control panel dims considerably whilst preheating for 10 seconds if the glowplugs are working.
You must have a bad connection somewhere.
Clean and remake all the connections on the main battery positive terminal on the starter motor solenoid

Never Grumble

Visit site
I had difficulty starting my Perkins M30, same engine, last winter, one glow plug had failed. Starts instantly now even in the coldest weather. Parts4engines have glow plugs in stock, it's the simplest job replacing them except the one nearest the fuel pump.
Did you change that one nearest the fuel pump ... if so any advice?

38mess

Visit site
Did you change that one nearest the fuel pump ... if so any advice?
Yes I did, you need to take off the return fuel pipe union on the injection pump, take the bolt out, watch out for the washer, a small amount of fuel will leak out, don't worry it will soon stop.I managed to move the pipe to one side and remove the glow plug. Be careful, the return pipe is quite fragile

Never Grumble

Visit site
Yes I did, you need to take off the return fuel pipe union on the injection pump, take the bolt out, watch out for the washer, a small amount of fuel will leak out, don't worry it will soon stop.I managed to move the pipe to one side and remove the glow plug. Be careful, the return pipe is quite fragile
Out of interest which pipe is the fragile one?
Screenshot 2021-05-08 at 16.52.12.png