Trip to Amsterdam

Status
Not open for further replies.

westhinder

Visit site
I visited Delft on business a few years ago, and rather liked that town - the water front and rivers looked very attractive, and there's a lot of interesting history - Vermeer and Delft Pottery are the big things. The town is also pleasant. What I don't know is whether it can be reached reasonably easily by sea from the East coast - I'd be interested in heading that way if it is.
The rivier that runs through Delft is the Schie, and runs to Schiedam, which is really a part of Rotterdam. So you can certainly get to Delft from the Nieuwe Waterweg, as the river Maas/Rhine is called at that point. Serious barges travel that stretch every day. I haven't checked in detail, but I would not be surprised if all the bridges between Schiedam and Delft were lifting ones. I am certain the last bridge just before Delft Technical University is lifting bridge, it would be a nonsense if the ones before that were not.
I will check with my daughter who rows on the Schie.
And I do agree that Delft is a most pleasant town. It has a very lively and young atmosphere, thanks to its university.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
The rivier that runs through Delft is the Schie, and runs to Schiedam, which is really a part of Rotterdam. So you can certainly get to Delft from the Nieuwe Waterweg, as the river Maas/Rhine is called at that point. Serious barges travel that stretch every day. I haven't checked in detail, but I would not be surprised if all the bridges between Schiedam and Delft were lifting ones. I am certain the last bridge just before Delft Technical University is lifting bridge, it would be a nonsense if the ones before that were not.
I will check with my daughter who rows on the Schie.
And I do agree that Delft is a most pleasant town. It has a very lively and young atmosphere, thanks to its university.
Yes, my meeting was hosted at the University, and I agree that it makes the town youthful feeling, despite it's history!

johnalison

Visit site
When we first went to the IJsselmeer in the early '80s we used a Michelin guide which told us that in Makkum there was a pottery that made stuff a bit like Delft. "Oh goody" we thought, "we can get some souvenirs cheaper than Delftware". How wrong we were. Makkum ware costs two or three times as much as Delft. It is lovely though, and has richer colours and a different and finer glaze. Unfortunately, the factory over-extended itself and no longer has facilities for visitors, but I believe is still in production in a small way under their old name of Tichelaar. We have some tiles mounted, which cost about £15 each at the time, but a medium sized plate would cost about £150. Ouch.

Stork_III

Visit site
When we first went to the IJsselmeer in the early '80s we used a Michelin guide which told us that in Makkum there was a pottery that made stuff a bit like Delft. "Oh goody" we thought, "we can get some souvenirs cheaper than Delftware". How wrong we were. Makkum ware costs two or three times as much as Delft. It is lovely though, and has richer colours and a different and finer glaze. Unfortunately, the factory over-extended itself and no longer has facilities for visitors, but I believe is still in production in a small way under their old name of Tichelaar. We have some tiles mounted, which cost about £15 each at the time, but a medium sized plate would cost about £150. Ouch.

Seem to have gone up in price. 510 euros for a 23cm plate. https://www.tichelaar.com/webshop/borden-schalen-kommen-potten/plate-bo-23-04

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Sorry to have hijacked the thread but very useful comments, we have AIS transponder so ticked that box, ATIS sorted ia Ofcom last night. Just now need to book weather and time off work, probably end May so far

Eer, you may already know this but Ofcom can't sort ATIS on your VHF, they just issue the licence variation to allow you to use it legally

If it hasn't already been done, your set well need to be programmed for ATIS by a main dealer

Daverw

Visit site
Yes understand this, Radio is programmable in its ATIS menu also enabled and disable there when needed.

johnalison

Visit site
Uses a wider palette than Delft, but not such a vivid blue. I think Delft shows the Chinese influence more than this.

I haven't compared the blues but I like the wider palette. In particular, I like the way that some colours bleed slightly, giving a three-dimensional look, similar to the superb old Iznik ware. The ornate look reminds me a little of the painted wooden stuff at nearby Hindeloopen, which is said to have derived from earlier trade with Indonesia and the Far East.

Here is one of our tiles and a small antique dish, which we have acquired over the years. Harlingen still has a small workshop and shop in the town, which has restored an old tradition. Their ware is attractive, but a little softer in appearance.

P1030194%20copy.jpg

Last edited:

Daverw

Visit site
We are further on with our trip planning, from looking at harbour info and locks they appear to require comms on channel 30/31. These are obviously not on our UK radio, are they actually needed in if so can they be enabled on UK radio sets

Last edited:

DavidofMersea

Visit site
We are looking at a similar 1st trip as well this coming year, really interested in the advice given so far. Just starting to review what docs we need and the process upon arriving, we’ve never sailed outside UK before.

Reminds me of a trip I did with some friends many years ago. When we arrived in IJmuiden we all went and reported to the customs. The Customs officer said to me "What is your name", and one of the others said "Don't tell him Pike", and we all fell about with laughter. The Customs Officer did not know the joke and was not amused

Ali-alshira

Visit site
Our experience is in the North of the Netherlands, IJsselmeer, Markemeer, the Friesian islands, on to Grmany, Denmark... But we have never needed to use Ch30/31. For locks or bridges, just turn up and loiter, or occasionally, we have radioed them on a channel displayed on the lock or bridge which has always been a channel which is available on our radio, or pressed a button by a mooring place. For marinas on the islands, or in Germany, Denmark etc, go in and find yourself a free place, usually marked with a green label (or at least not with a red label). Inland, the marinas usually have a "Hier melden" pontoon (which means report here), so moor up, go into the marina office and they will tell you where to go. One or two have had a phone at the Hier Melden pontoon.
Don't worry about it - it's all friendly and easy!

johnalison

Visit site
We have encountered the odd harbour with a channel that we didn't have. The only one I can remember is Scheveningen. We have just gone in regardless and they've been quite happy with out excuses, and our money. I've never met a lock or bridge with an odd channel.

Stork_III

Visit site
Some marinas use CH31, Breskens & Wemeldinge for 2. You can get a Variation of Licence from OFCOM to allow CH31 to be added to your VHF fixed or H/H, one of the Licence conditions is CH31 not to use within 30 Miles (?) of UK coast. CH31 used in UK mostly for beach rescue patrols.

Boz

Visit site
We are further on with our trip planning, from looking at harbour info and locks they appear to require comms on channel 30/31. These are obviously it on our UK radio, are they actually needed in if so can they be enabled on UK radio sets

I have the licence variation and had my radio converted to Automatic Transmitter Identification System (ATIS), but in two trips to the Netherlands have never had cause to use it. For Marinas I tended to phone ahead, and then again on approach.... Most Locks and Bridges had a bell to ring and I presume CCTV if not manned locally...

johnalison

Visit site

I have the licence variation and had my radio converted to Automatic Transmitter Identification System (ATIS), but in two trips to the Netherlands have never had cause to use it. For Marinas I tended to phone ahead, and then again on approach.... Most Locks and Bridges had a bell to ring and I presume CCTV if not manned locally...
The bridge and lock-keepers are usually quite human. On one occasion, at the motorway bridge at the western end of the North Sea Canal on the way to Haarlem, we arrived on our own and I was surprised after tying up when the intercom gave a buzz. On my answering it, the bridge lady told me that they thought that there was a fault and would I give her a buzz back to check. There was a fault and my reward was that she opened the bridge for me.

Dan Tribe

Visit site

Same here. Went through all the hoops of getting ATIS etc., but after a few days we seldom bothered to switch on. The automatic robot weather forecasts are handy though.
The Dutch don't seem to understand that the main purpose of VHF radios is to send radio checks, as the Brits do.:)

Boz

Visit site
Same here. Went through all the hoops of getting ATIS etc., but after a few days we seldom bothered to switch on. The automatic robot weather forecasts are handy though.
The Dutch don't seem to understand that the main purpose of VHF radios is to send radio checks, as the Brits do.:)

:):) But they do have their priorities right ----- Boats and Bikes - sod the traffic :):)

Daverw

Visit site
ATIS the easy bit, NOV online about 30secomds, programming radio less than 1 minute. The issue will be adding channel 31 to radio, will ask SH at boat show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Other threads that may be of interest

Members online

No members online now.