Topping lift

dom

Visit site
Sure, but if the main's down, then you can put the halyard on the end of the boom and use that to take the weight (and take some of the bounce out).

Of course, tie it to an arch, clip the main halyard back, drop the boom, or even just restrain the boom from moving side to side.

The key point is not to rely on the strut in such conditions. A spare main halyard is also a must offshore IMHO.

rib

Visit site
Having both has to be the way to go imo. I have seen 4 struts fail in my time, either springs rotten. Or seals. Or retaining bolts . Ask any Rigger.. As far as the I've never had it happen to me chaps I lived next door to London Airport for 40 years with 20.000 landings and take offs a year.. I never saw a plane crash. But I bet they do sometimes ✈️✈️???

Daydream believer

Visit site
Sure, but if the main's down, then you can put the halyard on the end of the boom and use that to take the weight (and take some of the bounce out).
It amazes me how many people disconnect the halyard from the main when finished. I never disconnect it as I am always concerned it will fly up the mast out of reach & spoil my sailing. I watched a boat in the next pontoon yesterday. The chap stowed his sail , untied the halyard & tied the end to the deck at the base of the mast. Why? :unsure:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
It amazes me how many people disconnect the halyard from the main when finished. I never disconnect it as I am always concerned it will fly up the mast out of reach & spoil my sailing. I watched a boat in the next pontoon yesterday. The chap stowed his sail , untied the halyard & tied the end to the deck at the base of the mast. Why? :unsure:
I guess to stop it flapping about and making a horrid banging noise when the wind gets up. Personally I attach my main halyard to the end of the boom beside my topping lift.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I've never lost a halyard since moving away from snap shackles to captive shackles on all halyards. I only use a snap shackle to trip a cruising chute when I use it about once a year.

Do you tie off your still attached main halyard to stop it banging ?

Stemar

Visit site
I guess to stop it flapping about and making a horrid banging noise when the wind gets up. Personally I attach my main halyard to the end of the boom beside my topping lift.
That's why I take mine off the sail. I normally clip the shackle to one of the loops that attach the lazyjacks to the sail cover 'cos I can't be bothered to drag it all the way to the other end of the boom

dom

Visit site
That's why I take mine off the sail. I normally clip the shackle to one of the loops that attach the lazyjacks to the sail cover 'cos I can't be bothered to drag it all the way to the other end of the boom

i normally just take it back a meter or so and attach it to the kicker strut ?
?

jimi

Visit site
On previous boat I had a boom strut and topping lift, I lost my halyard up the mast leaving Alderney going down the Swinge and was very glad to have the topping lift available to use as a halyard. My only niggle is that the topping lift on current boat sometimes gets a couple of wraps on the backstay when hard on the wind. I've got a spare rope wire halyard that I keep meaning to replace the all rope topping lift with to stop that but I've been too lazy so far to get round to it:)

Daydream believer

Visit site
He attached it to the base of the mast so it still able to flap.
However, I ALWAYS tie my halyard to a point to the shroud but leave it attached to the sail. I then pull it tight at the clutch