• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

IN ADDITION it seems that conspiracy theories are finding their way onto the forum. This is not the place for such content. Users who post it may find their access limited or permanently suspended. Please leave it where you find it.

The end of Rose Hearty

cherod

All that and not a picture if it in its former glory 😱

Mark26

Yes, we saw the field team emptying the barge full of boat bits into a truck at Bell Weir lunch time today

Outinthedinghy

I bet there were some very nice boat bits going to the scrap man. Having said that most of the bronze seemed to have been removed some time ago.

Barge

It went past me on its way up for what i hoped was a restoration project...sad to see it's decline since and eventual demise.

Time Out

I saw that on Twitter earlier. Replied in fact.
I hope the took the Avon RIB away before trashing it !!
Very sad

Outinthedinghy

I think the rib with the Evinrude 55 on it had been removed.

There was also a very nice electric davit unit on the boat at one stage which lifted the rib onto the top of the stern part of the cabin.

plumbob

Wonder if Triad which has been languishing just above Pangbourne College for 30 years will get the same treatment 😋

ianc1200

Interesting photo of her on the Orwell. She was the support vessel for the Dunkirk Little Ships and oe friend of mine, the late Keith Beautement (who owned the Bate Starcraft Arcadia, & always was to be found in the chandlery at Penton Hook with his friend Fred Bourne) crewed on her a lot - I think it's Keith on top of the wheelhouse in the photo.

Outinthedinghy

There’s currently two sunken vessels on the Runnymead reach.
I noticed the big wooden thing with a shed on top outside one of the houses has gone down but which is the other sunken boat there? Unless you meant the Rosehearty.

There has always been a sunken Fairey huntress or huntsman round the back of Runnymede island but that's barely noticeable these days.
Not been down there by boat for a while but have driven along the road past the Bells of Ouzeley a few times recently.

I presume the big old Humber lighter Bustardthorpe is still floating... Aidie used to be on it quite a lot with the fire going but not sure it is occupied much now. By the mini roundabout.

That would be a huge salvage job if that went down..

Outinthedinghy

Nah someone appears to have done some work on it this year.
Someone definitely keeps a close eye on that one. It's not exactly a thing of beauty but I do like to continue seeing it. Nice to think it might be there in another 25 years. That would be quite cool. Probably not though.

Old Crusty

Big Dave at Bell Weir helped Ian , a previous owner, restore Rose Hearty then crewed for several ADLS trips over the Channel back in the 1980s. A sad end but neglect takes many a fine wooden boat. I was last on her in 2012 and she was showing signs of serious rot.

Outinthedinghy

Has Dave gone yet? I heard he was retiring.

Will be odd with him missing as he has been a fixture since I started boating.

One of the characters.

Old Crusty

Has Dave gone yet? I heard he was retiring.

Will be odd with him missing as he has been a fixture since I started boating.

One of the characters.
No, he finishes in March 2021 - knowing him as I do, he'll just slip out the back door and drive away (probably with the back door in his van!)

TrueBlue

It's the 'characters' on the River that help to make it enjoyable to use (some of the new lockies are really dour and need knocking into shape = engaging with the customers...)
While commenting on who's stil in place / retiring - Is Tony at Culham still in post or will be next year? I tried to ring the lock several times recently but didn't get an answer. I don't know whjo to ask...