The EA / DE needs to get a grip on the moorings ?

Scapegoat

Visit site
Travelling downriver last week there were lots of spaces on moorings -Egham towpath, Staines, Laleham, Shepperton, LL Lawn, Weybridge, Walton towpath.
The only “regular” moorers I noticed were Amadeus and Sexy Beast, both at Walton towpath and Bairns Pride on Desborough Island.
Really was quite good to see fewer abuses of short term moorings ?

Also noticed a few boats on the new private moorings at Doyle Carte Island

Northern Star

Visit site
Indeed, it is great that Doyle Carte Island is being used again and hope that all those empty pontoons on the far side from Shepperton become available again.

Good to hear things are getting quieter as I have been away from the Thames for a few weeks and look forward to a cruise down to Laleham soon for lunch at the Three Horseshoes.

Amadeus was looking in splendid the last time I saw her and he has done a really nice job of the restoration over the past few years.

Scapegoat

Visit site
Just seen on Twitter

Maria Herlihy EA

we carried out Registration checks on vessels moored at Cherry Orchard Gardens West Molesey.
35 vessels checked and 29 booked unregistered.
4 sect 16 notices served and
4 No Name Notices served.
2 vessels given advice and guidance for excessive wash

https://t.co/I28OjL03N1

Last edited:

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Just seen on Twitter

Maria Herlihy EA

we carried out Registration checks on vessels moored at Cherry Orchard Gardens West Molesey.
35 vessels checked and 29 booked unregistered.
4 sect 16 notices served and
4 No Name Notices served.
2 vessels given advice and guidance for excessive wash

https://t.co/I28OjL03N1

Could be a turning of the screw!

That is a lot of boats booked for non-registration - not sure why they have been missed in the previous 10 months?

This is probably the first use of Section 16 of the 2010 IWO and is a small step forward (This allows EA to remove unregistered from the Thames)

No name - unmarked vessels are exceedingly difficult to enforce! A good step forward.

And just in case you think I am EA friendly I have attached the details of my recent complaint which EA are investigating - all are personal observations and not just reports.

Attachments

• Complaint EA Thames.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 54
  • List of Issues.pdf
    34.2 KB · Views: 43

ms1

Visit site
Travelling downriver last week there were lots of spaces on moorings -Egham towpath, Staines, Laleham, Shepperton, LL Lawn, Weybridge, Walton towpath.
The only “regular” moorers I noticed were Amadeus and Sexy Beast, both at Walton towpath and Bairns Pride on Desborough Island.
Really was quite good to see fewer abuses of short term moorings ?

Also noticed a few boats on the new private moorings at Doyle Carte Island
Bairns Pride, still there - February 2024.

Scapegoat

Visit site
Saw this in Dominic Raab’s newsletter last week. Be interesting to see if there are any positive developments

“For too long, illegal moorings have been a blight along the Thames riverbank in Elmbridge and a key concern for local residents.

I have consistently favoured the removal of illegal moorings through a Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO). In 2019, I formally requested that Elmbridge Borough Council pursue the implementation of a PSPO as soon as possible.

Despite four years of dither and delay, following pressure from myself and the Conservative group at Elmbridge Borough Council led by Cllr John Cope, the Council has now reversed its position and voted to accept my proposal to tackle illegal moorings properly with a PSPO. This is fantastic news for riverside residents and river users who can now expect to see proper enforcement against illegal moorings on council owned land.

As the Environment Agency also own a considerable stretch of the riverbank in Elmbridge, I will continue to work with both Elmbridge Borough Council and the Environment Agency to see both organisations taking a joined-up approach to enforcement.”

This is the link from the newsletter

Tackling Illegal Moorings

Attachments

• IMG_1406.jpeg
    IMG_1406.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
PSPO is an interesting tool. I could see a few Boats being abandoned and ending up on Sunbury weir. Its already got 2 or 3 on there. Displacement is another interesting question in this story.

In the image it looks a bit like a Trotman slumboat but they have proved quite awkward to shift over the years so enforcement will have to be quite strong.

Richmond got him off their land using byelaws but Elmbridge are declining to pursue this route.

Interesting to see what happens here.

Neither the EA nor councils want the hassle of dealing with this problem.

oldgit

Visit site
This is still on going on the Medway.
'Monstrosity’ houseboat blighting village's river views
Court has ordered removal of the barge and all the structural works around it.
Piles must be drawn and the landing stage removed.
The owner has of course appealed the judgement.
Now awaiting the appeal date, when this little horror is sorted, attention will be on sorting something else a bit further upstream.

Last edited: