The Alden ketch 'Walkabout' at Barbados

Bajansailor

Visit site
The Alden ketch \'Walkabout\' at Barbados

I got a surprise phone call a couple of weeks ago from an old pal Clive, who has been owned by the lovely 'Walkabout' for the past 30+ years.
They had recently arrived here after a routine singlehanded passage from the Cape Verdes, en-route to Australia where Walkabout was built in Fremantle in 1952.

Here are a few photos of her at anchor in Carlisle Bay :

Walkaboutatanchor1.jpg

Walkaboutatanchor2.jpg

Walkaboutforedeck.jpg

And here is her lines plan - this is from the book 'Deep Water and Shoal' by William Albert Robinson, who sailed around the world in the 1920's (I think) in a sister ship to Walkabout called Svaap.

Walkaboutlinesplan.jpg

Walkabout's hull is built of jarra, and Clive is very proud of the fact that all of the hull planking, keel, deadwood, stem et al is still original.
He has replaced all of the original steam bent frames though with laminated frames - massively strong, and all of the hull planks are through rivetted to the frames, not just screwed or nailed.
I have a few photos of the interior (which is simply exquisite) - I do not want to post them on this open forum as Walkabout is Clive's home, but if any classic individuals would like copies by email please scribble me a PM.

Some details about her from my Lloyds 'Green Book' :
LOA 33.2', LWL 28.1', Beam 9.5', Draft 6', Registered tonnage 11.98.

Spuddy

Visit site
Re: The Alden ketch \'Walkabout\' at Barbados

Thanks for the post.
What's the tender ? At first glance looked like a Fairey Duckling but nose a bit too pointy.

Bajansailor

Visit site

Sorry, I meant to ask Clive about his lovely tender - she does look rather like a Duckling, but as you say the nose is a bit too pointy.
He had the same tender when he and Walkabout were here last almost 30 years ago....... and it was no spring chicken then either....
Changing tack, those immaculate topsides are not splined - just caulked and puttied in the usual fashion.

joeh

Visit site

do you know if she has a sister ship call Dyad based in oz ?

Bajansailor

Visit site
Re: Dyad in Oz

Oh dear, sorry, I do not know of any other sisterships other than Svaap and Mirelle.
(Mirelle has the same hull lines, but with the addition of a counter stern, rather than a transom stern).

But I would guess that there is a good possibility of there being other sisterships.

Visit site
Re walkabout sailing cruiser

Hi
Thanks for the great pics of Walkabout. Is this the same walkabout as
seen in Eric Hiscocks book `Voyaging under sail`.? Built by the Driscoll
brothers of Australia. I would like to see the pics of the interior of the
yacht is that ok.
Thanks Geoff Cottam.

Tranona

Visit site
I got a surprise phone call a couple of weeks ago from an old pal Clive, who has been owned by the lovely 'Walkabout' for the past 30+ years.
They had recently arrived here after a routine singlehanded passage from the Cape Verdes, en-route to Australia where Walkabout was built in Fremantle in 1952.

Here are a few photos of her at anchor in Carlisle Bay :

Walkaboutatanchor1.jpg

Walkaboutatanchor2.jpg

Walkaboutforedeck.jpg

And here is her lines plan - this is from the book 'Deep Water and Shoal' by William Albert Robinson, who sailed around the world in the 1920's (I think) in a sister ship to Walkabout called Svaap.

Walkaboutlinesplan.jpg

Walkabout's hull is built of jarra, and Clive is very proud of the fact that all of the hull planking, keel, deadwood, stem et al is still original.
He has replaced all of the original steam bent frames though with laminated frames - massively strong, and all of the hull planks are through rivetted to the frames, not just screwed or nailed.
I have a few photos of the interior (which is simply exquisite) - I do not want to post them on this open forum as Walkabout is Clive's home, but if any classic individuals would like copies by email please scribble me a PM.

Some details about her from my Lloyds 'Green Book' :
LOA 33.2', LWL 28.1', Beam 9.5', Draft 6', Registered tonnage 11.98.

It is always fun trying to sort out Alden designs, particularly those built out of period as builders tend to borrow bits from different and related designs - just as Alden himself did.

Anyway the definitve book on Alden is by Carrick and Henderson. Svaap was built to design 224 one of two sisterships to the original of the design which was called Eaglet - all around 1925. The dimensions you show are different from the original and closer to design 307 a development of 224. There ar no lines for 307 in the book, but the photo suggests a counter rather than a transom, although the diffference in LOA is only 6 inches. The quoted drafts however are very different. 224 is 5'5" 307 at 4'6". The first 307 (Joloma) was built by CA Morse in 1927 and 3 sister ships (presumably also by Morse) in 1927/8.

BTW the lines plan you show is a typical Alden "working" drawing. There is a sanitised and much more elegant set including cabin plan and sail plan on pp 110/1. Like many Alden boats he did not actually design it - his contribution was usually a back of the envelope sketch in thick pencil showing the basic shape and characteristics he wanted. The actual desgin is by Fenwick Williams and Sam Crocker, both later (particularly Crocker) successful designers under their own name.

Must have been really exciting working for Alden in the 20's and 30's when he was the leader in the development of affordable yachts (and many unaffordable ones!)

Visit site
A lovely boat.Given the money it would be hard to resist Aldens schooner Malaba.Or a Hereshoff 50/60' schooner I saw a while ago in the yachting press made of Epoxy:(
There are somethings that money can't buy but a win on the lottery would do me no harm at all:rolleyes:

Seanick

www.nickgates.co.uk
I am quite a fan of Fairey Marines products.:D

It would be nice to know more about Penguins though. All I know so far is that they're either very similar or actually from the same mould as the Dinky. Built under license perhaps?

Don't know, but I have one hanging up inside my workshop if you want to put a tape over it.