Spotted this... perfect livaboard long range cruiser which isn't a Nordhavn?

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
Think of a catamaran, which can't be stabilized but depending on sea conditions can roll frantically, like there's no tomorrow.
Erm - do they roll in the same way - if so I’ve yet to find the conditions that cause that roll. The twin hulls stop the pendulum effect that you might get on a monohull - it’s really very different - uncomfortable but different. So where as the extended beam of the boat in discussion increases the roll potential, the beam of our cat, 26ft, reduces the effect of roll - (a 20’ beam cat would have a > ‘roll’).
For clarity, and you must have done this, watch the masthead of a cat at anchor or in the marina when there’s some sea going underneath and compare that to a nearby monohull.
What we do get is some frantic bobbing in a quartering head sea and poor tracking - but not downwind - which is good - we’re strictly focused on the Trades ;)

The OP boat would strictly be for ICW - Rivers - Lakes and dockside were it mine. I’d love to see it in the flesh tho’....

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Hi NP, funny how your post is supposed to go against what I said, but actually I agree with all your comments ('cept the point on narrower cats rolling more, which of course can be true, but depending on sea conditions the opposite can be true as well).
Anyway, in hindsight I suppose it's the use of term rolling which can be misleading.
I'll revert asap,' cause I'm travelling atm and there are few things which drive me nuts as much as typing on a mobile... :rolleyes:

EmptyPontoon

Visit site
I guess this skipper is holed up here at Port Solent waiting for some foul weather to go and play in.

Lovely looking craft and very unusual in these parts.

104kkeu.jpg

Aardee

Visit site
I guess this skipper is holed up here at Port Solent waiting for some foul weather to go and play in.

104kkeu.jpg

He's been in & out a few times (I can see it from my balcony) - A very tough looking boat, even if it does seem very tall for it's length

EmptyPontoon

Visit site
Hi Neighbour! Pic taken from my balcony...

Interesting. Never seen it here before. It was just locking in the other day when I was driving home and I thought blimey that looks purposeful...

MapisM

Visit site
Erm - do they roll in the same way - if so I’ve yet to find the conditions that cause that roll. The twin hulls stop the pendulum effect that you might get on a monohull - it’s really very different - uncomfortable but different. So where as the extended beam of the boat in discussion increases the roll potential, the beam of our cat, 26ft, reduces the effect of roll - (a 20’ beam cat would have a > ‘roll’).
For clarity, and you must have done this, watch the masthead of a cat at anchor or in the marina when there’s some sea going underneath and compare that to a nearby monohull.
What we do get is some frantic bobbing in a quartering head sea and poor tracking - but not downwind - which is good - we’re strictly focused on the Trades ;)

The OP boat would strictly be for ICW - Rivers - Lakes and dockside were it mine. I’d love to see it in the flesh tho’....
Ok, now that I'm back to a decent size screen where typing is not a pita, I'll try to clarify what I meant.
The train of thought behind my previous comment was based on stelican "albeit 20ft beam" statement, which suggested the idea that a more beamy hull is more stable, hence less prone to rolling.
Now, leaving aside the fact that hull stability depends on many other factors on top of length to beam ratio, and accepting the idea that the boat which is being discussed might well have a high inherent stability, my point was that such hull can still roll a LOT, depending on the waves form/direction - and as opposed to Nordies or other similar boats, she's bound to be much harder to stabilize.

Catamarans were just incidental in my reasoning, and I didn't want to imply that their behavior is similar to monohulls.
In fact, I'm well aware that it isn't. In a sense, it might be more appropriate to say that catamarans do not roll at all - they just constantly "copy" the sea movement.
But in turn, this means that they can "list" (so to speak) on either side, unpredictably, as much as the sea surface wants.
In other words, as opposed to monohulls, there's no inherent roll period to speak of, and they are un-stabilizable.

Bottom line, I fully agree that cat motion is very different, but at the end of the day, as you also said, it can be as uncomfortable (if not worse, depending on sea conditions) as what we normally call rolling on monohulls.
Whether they are better or worse when compared to a non-stabilized monohull of similar size, it's impossible to tell in general terms.
In some sea conditions, the former can be better, and in different conditions, the opposite can be true.
Even in the very same sea, everything can change depending on the route (=waves direction)!
This is also the reason why I said before that even within cats, not necessarily the beamier is the one which always "rolls" (for lack of better wording) less.
With a beam sea and a very short wave length, where with your 26' beam vessel one hull reaches the top of the crest while the other one is right inside the trough, it is possible that the motion of a narrower cat would be more comfy.

Otoh, there's a couple of generalizations which I think that can reasonably be made:
1) a stabilized monohull is the vessel that grants the better cruising comfort in all conditions.
With monohull sailboats as a close second (sails being in fact a rather effective stabilizer), but only for those who don't mind the listing, of course.
2) in most pleasure boating conditions, catamarans have indeed many advantages, and they can be VERY comfortable.
Btw, their stability at anchor without needing any sophisticated equipment is indeed remarkable, also because when an anchorage becomes rough enough to make a decent size cat roll/list, you would rather go elsewhere anyway... :encouragement:

It's just the principle that cats don't need stabs because they are always stable no matter what, which is a bit of a myth.
In some conditions, they would definitely be much more comfortable if stabilized - but unfortunately, that's a task which nobody managed to accomplish so far... :)

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
‘a stabilized monohull is the vessel that grants the better cruising comfort in all

Agreed, having crossed the Atlantic 4 times on the QM2 - it’s astonishing how effective the stabilisers are in a force 10. Although not quite as smooth as a dived O boat but that’s not cruising!

I’m not sure that anyone is saying that Catamarans don’t need stabilisers because they are always stable, well not me and certainly not Ann! But yes, at anchor with wind and sea coming from the same direction then it’s fantastic.

I was really being a bit of a pedant, because of your comparison between the roll of a wide beam mono and a two hull catamaran; anyhow - we sail NORTH to Lisbon next week, head seas and head wind expected so watch this space - there might be a very nice Lagoon 450f, late 2017 for sale very soon ;)

Bajansailor

Visit site
Teddi Bear reminds me of a grown up aquatic Tonka toy - very chunky and purposeful. But not a boat for chasing storms with.

I think that if I was spending that sort of money I would prefer to have a Nordhavn 52 like Dirona -
https://mvdirona.com/

Here is a 2016 Nordhavn 52 for sale
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2016/Nordhavn-52-3153024/Anacortes/WA/United-States

Dirona (along with a couple of other Nordhavns) arrived here (Barbados) a couple of years ago - the other two had crossed from the Cape Verdes, and Dirona had come non-stop from the South Atlantic.
Dirona is now in Norway
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:445631/vessel:DIRONA

Re the other two, Starlet is now in the South Pacific
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:446596/imo:0/mmsi:367470230/vessel:STARLET

And Southern Star is in the Bahamas
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:698788/vessel:SOUTHERN STAR

These Nordhavns certainly get about!

MrB

Visit site

104kkeu.jpg

He's been in & out a few times (I can see it from my balcony) - A very tough looking boat, even if it does seem very tall for it's length

Hi Neighbour! Pic taken from my balcony...

Interesting. Never seen it here before. It was just locking in the other day when I was driving home and I thought blimey that looks purposeful...

Teddi Bear is in Port Solent? :confused:

*Edit* No photo was showing when i replied to the posts so null and void!

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
I’m not sure that anyone is saying that Catamarans don’t need stabilisers because they are always stable, well not me and certainly not Ann!
Yup, I'm well aware that you didn't say that - in fact, I don't think anyone who actually experienced a bit of cat cruising in some rough seas would say that.
The myth I mentioned in the last para of my previous post is mostly referred to dock talks, and widespread perception among weekend boaters... :rolleyes: :encouragement: