Solo sailor saved by a PLB

PhillM

Visit site
OK I'm doing this and a PLB, expensive but useful thinking going on on this forum.

How do you get around the spray hood though? (the boats not the LJs) I suppose I could have a tether that stays attached to the stays and is hooked for keeping until needed at the edge of the sprayhood. I'd then hook onto that before leaving the cockpit. That would make it longer than ideal though. But i suppose could have that until get around, then hook the shorter tether and leave the longer one there until on the way back. Seems like a good plan

l don’t have a spray hood. Partly for that very reason. Yes, I can see an argument for a warm and dry place, from a safety perspective. So, on my little boat I’ve made a seat in the companionway that I can sit in with the hatch closed and still have good visibility while staying mostly warm and dry. I do want to improve that and have a few ideas for post lockdown, but a full spray hood won’t be the answer.

Adios

Visit site
l don’t have a spray hood. Partly for that very reason. Yes, I can see an argument for a warm and dry place, from a safety perspective. So, on my little boat I’ve made a seat in the companionway that I can sit in with the hatch closed and still have good visibility while staying mostly warm and dry. I do want to improve that and have a few ideas for post lockdown, but a full spray hood won’t be the answer.
They're problematic things aren't they. The worse the visibility (spray or weather) the more likely it is we shelter behind them reducing the visibility further. We'd be better off accepting we want a wheelhouse and doing it properly. I've had a couple of motorboats with them and have to concede it might be the way forward. We're only a hundred years behind commercial shipping in being the last nutters on the sea without a wheelhouse

Stemar

Visit site
Interesting thread - thanks everyone.

I have jackstays on my little Snapdragon and I use them. Running them along the centreline seems like a better idea than their current position along the side decks, but I can't see how to do this effectively, as there's nowhere aft of the mast to attach them. As things stand, I can clip on before leaving the cockpit, and I use the closest I can to the climbers' three point idea - at least one foot and one hand on something solid, plus the line. When I get to the mast, I'll clip on to the spinny pole eye with as short a tether as I can manage with.

I always figure that, if I do go over, Milady will be able to stop the boat and press the big red button, so I'm in with a chance. However, she's now retired from sailing, so I'm on my own most of the time. So, for Solent pottering in reasonable weather, I'm starting to think that I may be better off not being hooked on when going forward to remove the risk of being dragged along, and having my LJ, a PLB and a waterproof mobile phone. Still be hooked on with a short tether when working at the mast or the bow, of course.

PhillM

Visit site
I think that there are a few layers around the safety issue. For me the first was to find ways to prevent having to leave the cockpit. Changing a genoa down to working jib in rising wind, at 0200 when 11 miles S of Portland Bill, finally convinced me that roller reefing with a conservative sail was a good idea.

Similarly, finding ways to reef the main from the cockpit (albeit using two lines) is useful too. I have added a step below my fore hatch, from which I can reach the lower part of the mast. If I needed to get to the bow, I can clip on before leaving the hatch. I no longer need to walk/crawl down the side decks, which on my 24 footer are only a few inches wide (oh and I don't have guard rails as they were not part of the 1961 design, nor easy to retro fit).

I have setup my fenders so I can tie them to the grab rails and can launch them overboard from the cockpit. I have a line that runs outside of everything from port-aft quarter to a block on the bow and back to starboard aft quarter. This has a dual purpose. It can be used as a preventer on the main (I have a short line which it attaches to on the boom, or if you cleat it off on one side, you can use the other as a temporary bowline. This saves having to leave the cockpit to rig (or remove) warps and fenders.

Adios

Visit site
I have setup my fenders so I can tie them to the grab rails and can launch them overboard from the cockpit. I have a line that runs outside of everything from port-aft quarter to a block on the bow and back to starboard aft quarter. This has a dual purpose. It can be used as a preventer on the main (I have a short line which it attaches to on the boom, or if you cleat it off on one side, you can use the other as a temporary bowline. This saves having to leave the cockpit to rig (or remove) warps and fenders.
I can't picture that but it sounds interesting. Did you get the idea from something you can link to or explain in another way?

PhillM

Visit site
I can't picture that but it sounds interesting. Did you get the idea from something you can link to or explain in another way?

Ok so the grab rails are on my coach roof. I can lean forward from the cockpit and tie on a fender, then toss it forward of the forward stay, so that I have one fender each side about mid ships. I then attach other fenders after of it, which gives me enough protection for coming alongside.

Re the preventer, I take a line from the cockpit, run it outside of everything, then back in by a fairlead on the bow and through a block which is attached to the Samson post on the centreline. It then exits by the opposite bow fairlead and runs back to the cockpit on the opposite side. It has a dual purpose. I can cleat one side and attach the other to the end of the boom (via a pre attached rope that unclips from the boom which has a snap-shackle attached) thus giving me a preventer. Or, I can cleat off one side and use it as a temporary bow line.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Ideally I'd like a centre line jackstay but i haven't worked out how (yet) so it's currently the usual arrangement down the side decks

However, using a 3 hook lifeline and using the shorter tether on the jackstay means I'm unlikely to actually go over the guardwires although it's not particularly dignified crawling along on your arse :)

Critically however, i act as if I'm not tethered at all times. The jackstay and lifeline is a last resort backup, making sure it doesn't come to that is the main aim when moving about on deck

If the worst happened I have a purpose designed lifeline cutter in the holder designed for it on my lifejacket (Crewsaver Ergofit) so if push comes to shove i can cut myself free.

And i always have a PLB in its pouch on my belt as the chances of Jane being able to effect a rescue are literally zero (it is mutually agreed that should i ever go overboard, it's every man and woman for themselves - she will see to her own safety and I've hopefully got the right kit to give me a fighting chance)

Adios

Visit site
Ok so the grab rails are on my coach roof. I can lean forward from the cockpit and tie on a fender, then toss it forward of the forward stay, so that I have one fender each side about mid ships. I then attach other fenders after of it, which gives me enough protection for coming alongside.

Re the preventer, I take a line from the cockpit, run it outside of everything, then back in by a fairlead on the bow and through a block which is attached to the Samson post on the centreline. It then exits by the opposite bow fairlead and runs back to the cockpit on the opposite side. It has a dual purpose. I can cleat one side and attach the other to the end of the boom (via a pre attached rope that unclips from the boom which has a snap-shackle attached) thus giving me a preventer. Or, I can cleat off one side and use it as a temporary bow line.
I understand about the fenders now but with the line is it one line all the way around? And some distance up each side there's maybe a knot with a loop that you can attach the preventer rope to, you can reach the loop and the preventer rope from the cockpit and once attached you can then pull it forwards by pulling aft on the other end of the rope on the opposite side of the boat and cleating it off? That sounds very good. I always have my bowline led outside and back to the cockpit for picking up a buoy, much better than trying to run forward to the highest point just at the right time! But this preventer addition sounds well worth a try thanks!

Adios

Visit site
And i always have a PLB in its pouch on my belt as the chances of Jane being able to effect a rescue are literally zero (it is mutually agreed that should i ever go overboard, it's every man and woman for themselves - she will see to her own safety and I've hopefully got the right kit to give me a fighting chance)
If she can't stop the boat to rescue you it'll be interesting if she gets the boat back to port :ROFLMAO:

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
If she can't stop the boat to rescue you it'll be interesting if she gets the boat back to port :ROFLMAO:

It's her ambition to learn enough to do so, for now she knows how to stop the boat and yell for help!

Not ideal but better than panicking and piling up on something solid

PhillM

Visit site
I understand about the fenders now but with the line is it one line all the way around? And some distance up each side there's maybe a knot with a loop that you can attach the preventer rope to, you can reach the loop and the preventer rope from the cockpit and once attached you can then pull it forwards by pulling aft on the other end of the rope on the opposite side of the boat and cleating it off? That sounds very good. I always have my bowline led outside and back to the cockpit for picking up a buoy, much better than trying to run forward to the highest point just at the right time! But this preventer addition sounds well worth a try thanks!

Yes the line all around - one line, with a bowline in each end. On the boom a line from the aft with a snap-shackle on it, which I keep attached to a fitting near the kicking strap. Disconnect the boom line, snap the shackle onto the all bow line on all around line and pull from the other end ... hey presto a preventer.

Adios

Visit site
Yes the line all around - one line, with a bowline in each end. On the boom a line from the aft with a snap-shackle on it, which I keep attached to a fitting near the kicking strap. Disconnect the boom line, snap the shackle onto the all bow line on all around line and pull from the other end ... hey presto a preventer.
The best ideas are the simplest and thats seeming pretty damn good. And you can get the line back to the cockpit once the boom is centred to be able to switch sides. I love it!

PhillM

Visit site
The best ideas are the simplest and thats seeming pretty damn good. And you can get the line back to the cockpit once the boom is centred to be able to switch sides. I love it!
TBH it wasn't my idea, but I cannot remember where it came from. I do lay claim to thinking about how to use the line as a temporary bow line.

Stemar

Visit site
Current water temp in Southampton is 8.5 C, 47 F

Hypothermia-Chart_large.jpg

You've got about 5 minutes to get yourself out. Without a lifejacket, you'll be dead within the hour. That's assuming you don't get a big gasp reflex from hitting the cold water while you're under it, or have a heart attack, which isn't unlikely for older folk.

Just don't go in!

Triassic

Visit site
It's always hard to get a true picture of events from a short report like that. The headline says "Rough seas" so would all like to think we would be taking extra special care in such circumstances, especially if going on deck whilst under way and single handed, but the sailor says he was knocked over by a "freak gust of wind" which suggests he wasn't expecting it and that the boat "drifted away" rather than sailed off over the horizon. That's also supported by the fact the boat was only 23k away after eight hours? All it takes is a moments carelessness or inattention when we are least expecting it for accidents to happen which is why I always clip on when leaving the cockpit single handed, even in relatively calm conditions. I also always have the remote for the tiller pilot around my neck so hopefully am in with a chance of stopping the boat! Admittedly I do have the advantage of a big net round most of the boat so the only place I can actually reach the water is between the bows, but the thought of getting battered to death there doesn't appeal!

Stemar

Visit site
Sailing in the Solent, I'm especially careful when the weather says I don't need to be. That container ship that went past ten minutes ago? Yeah, it's wake should be arriving around now. Likewise the big gin palace that was best part of a mile away. If its wake coincides with the Solent chop, it'll tip you over the side in a moment if you're concentrating on something else.

sails_02

Visit site
Resurrecting this thread as there are new details here:
How a PLB saved my life when I was knocked overboard - Yachting Monthly

Some things I noted.

Jacklines:
So the question is would he have survived if he'd have been clipped on and gone over and been dragged along?

From the article:
> The jackline wrapped itself around one leg while the end tethered to the lifejacket tautened, leaving me hanging like a piece of washing, almost horizontal, off the side of the boat.
> My head and shoulders were being driven underwater every time the yacht went through a wave.
> As far as I’m concerned safety lines are the work of the devil. They’re just out there to kill you.
> If I hadn’t been able to cut loose, I would have drowned.

My Spinlock deckvest has a small knife for cutting lines, I’ll certainly keep it handy and practice accessing it. And I usually carry a pocket knife, which I need to practice as a backup. Certainly speaks to what I've heard that falling overboard on the lee side with jacklines attached is incredibly dangerous.

Inflating lifejackets

From the article:
> I was psyching myself up to make the climb when my lifejacket self-inflated, and the drag pulled me off the boat.

Reading John Kretschmer’s book Sailing to the Edge of Time, he indicates something to the effect of that he has his lifejacket set to manual inflation only, for this exact scenario where mobility is more important than flotation. I’ll dig up the passage. Interesting to think that the inflation caused him to lose contact with the boat.

New years resolution - Always wear a PLB.
Yes, initially a MOB type AIS device felt fine, but I think for the extra money a PLB is worth it.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Sailing in the Solent, I'm especially careful when the weather says I don't need to be. That container ship that went past ten minutes ago? Yeah, it's wake should be arriving around now. Likewise the big gin palace that was best part of a mile away. If its wake coincides with the Solent chop, it'll tip you over the side in a moment if you're concentrating on something else.
If I'm sailing and there's someone on deck, I always call out when I see a wake coming to warn them to hang on.

Stemar

Visit site
If I'm sailing and there's someone on deck, I always call out when I see a wake coming to warn them to hang on.
That works if there's someone else to look out for it. If there is, there's a decent chance of them picking you up if you do take an unscheduled swim. Solo, there's no warning. Yes, I should be multitasking and keeping an eye open while I'm dealing with whatever took me forward, but I have all lines aft, so anchoring apart, if I'm out of the cockpit, there's a problem and I'm sure I'm not the only bloke who has a bad habit of concentrating entirely on the problem in hand to the exclusion of all else.