Solar Panel Battery Charging

Tugw

Visit site
I have installed a Solar Panel and a dual charge regulator on me old tub,There are two banks: starter 85Ah Domestic 2x 85Ah(I will be increasing these later) The panel indicates that it is charging the starter Bat(Bat No1 on the priority setting) But does not show anything on the second bank(No2 on the priority setting)now,just to see if it was working on the 2nd bank i directed all the charge current to the No2 Bank,but it did nothing,I then disconnected the No1 Bank--still nothing on No2 Bank.I don't know if I've missed something but i,m at a loss what to do next to test it properly.All three earths from the batteries are connected together,Could this cause a problem?--or am i not giving it a chance? Also,whats the use of the setting to change the charge freq.(25Hz 50Hz 75Hz) and what setting should it be? Any help would be gratefully received.:confused:

tinkicker0

Visit site
Does the charge frequency mean it's putting in AC intended to run gadgets directly? Batteries need DC to charge (as I am sure you are aware).

Also does your charger have settings for battery types - Flooded, Vented, Gel ect (mine does) and is it set to the correct setting for the bank in question?

Tugw

Visit site
Does the charge frequency mean it's putting in AC intended to run gadgets directly? Batteries need DC to charge (as I am sure you are aware).

Also does your charger have settings for battery types - Flooded, Vented, Gel ect (mine does) and is it set to the correct setting for the bank in question?

I don't have a clue why their is a frequency setting.It is set to 25Hz by default,That's where Ive left it. I have set the thing to Flooded batteries(your quite right--there is a selection of types but i have set it to the correct type)

noelex

Visit site
I don't have a clue why their is a frequency setting.It is set to 25Hz by default,That's where Ive left it. I have set the thing to Flooded batteries(your quite right--there is a selection of types but i have set it to the correct type)
Without seeing the instruction manual it's difficult to provide reliable advice, but

Some controllers have a setting where the frequency of the Pulse width modulation can be altered to reduce interference.
It does not usually make any practical difference, if you are not getting interference leave it on the default 25hz setting.

Last edited:

pappaecho

Visit site
Usually the charge controller will charge both banks unless there is a major disparity between the banks, like one is heavily discharged.
I would double check the connections.
I would also use a meter to check the voltages of both banks, leave the system to run and then recheck. If only one bank is charging, and the connections are OK, then you may have a faulty controller

VicS

Visit site
What controller are you using.

It may be possible to find the instructions on line if we know what it is.

As nolex says, "Without seeing the instruction manual it's difficult to provide reliable advice"

Tugw

Visit site
Usually the charge controller will charge both banks unless there is a major disparity between the banks, like one is heavily discharged.
I would double check the connections.
I would also use a meter to check the voltages of both banks, leave the system to run and then recheck. If only one bank is charging, and the connections are OK, then you may have a faulty controller

Yes,The domestic bank is completely discharged

Tugw

Visit site
What controller are you using.

It may be possible to find the instructions on line if we know what it is.

As nolex says, "Without seeing the instruction manual it's difficult to provide reliable advice"

I do have the instruction manual,but this condition is not listed

vas

Visit site
I may be talking bull, but how about charging the flat battery first with the "normal" method and then trying the solar thing? Maybe it cannot cope with the charge level the flat battery demands?

Tugw

Visit site
I may be talking bull, but how about charging the flat battery first with the "normal" method and then trying the solar thing? Maybe it cannot cope with the charge level the flat battery demands?

I was thinking along those lines myself.But i don't know enough about them to make a judgment.Could be worth a try though,It cant hurt that's for sure

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Think you will find solar fairly useless and from flat, imposible. Even a normal battery charger wont charge from flat. You need a big boost. Thats if the battery is not knackered already.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Think you will find solar fairly useless and from flat, imposible. Even a normal battery charger wont charge from flat. You need a big boost. Thats if the battery is not knackered already.

Actually you can. Bypass the regulator and feed the output directly to the batteries one at a time. leave it on for 3 or 4 hours then see what battery voltage you have. If it is still very low say 2-3 volts you can try leaving them on for longer but it is not good.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Ill give you an idea. I know little about electrics. But the wife left my parking lights on the car, whilst we were away on the boat for two weeks. Comercial jump leads on, tried everything, with a mechanic. Took an hour for that engine to turn over and start. No problems since.

I once had the same problem on the boat, for no apparent reason. Connected the little Honda gen up to shore power, back up and running in five minutes. It seems to be a case of wacking it in, but then I am no expert.

BAtoo

Visit site
I suspect if your domestic bank is really low then the SP is just not up to it.
I would charge it with a conventional charger first or take the boat for a run (assuming the alternator works :D) or bypass the controller as that will give you a little more V.

Very akin to the flat car battery needing some time charging before it will turn over.

Oh, and recheck all of the connections.

VicS

Visit site
Sorry VicS

One of these things off fleabay 10 amp dual

Oh one of these things
$(KGrHqN,!hEE7vzSR4hSBO+NhT7DGw~~60_12.JPG

It does not look as though we will be able to find a manual to read then.

From what you say it t charges the starter battery when that is connected to the "battery no 1" terminals. but not the house battery connected to the no. 2 terminals

Have you tried connecting the house battery bank to the battery no. 1 terminals and the starter batter to the no.2 terminals.

If so and it still does not charge the house battery but charges the starter battery then there is a problem with the battery or the connections to it. perhaps do as suggested above and charge the battery by another means and then try again

If however it fails to charge which ever battery is connected as no2 battery the unit probably is faulty.

I notice it automatically selects 12 or 24 volt operation. It may therefore need to recognise a 12 volt battery as being connected before it will charge it. I assume the instructions require the batteries to be connected before connecting the solar panel ??

Last edited:

Tugw

Visit site
I think it could well be that the domestic batts are discharged too far,Over the weekend i done what was suggested,i connected the SP directly to the domestic bank for around 2 hours,This charged the batteries to around 8 volts, when i reconnected the SP controller it recognized there was another battery connected (indicated by a flashing LED) but again started to charge the starter battery(which is priority)

I have to admit that i didn't think of swopping the charge and domestic banks,Ill be down the boat again sometime this week so ill give that a try.

Oh one of these things
$(KGrHqN,!hEE7vzSR4hSBO+NhT7DGw~~60_12.JPG

It does not look as though we will be able to find a manual to read then.

From what you say it t charges the starter battery when that is connected to the "battery no 1" terminals. but not the house battery connected to the no. 2 terminals

Have you tried connecting the house battery bank to the battery no. 1 terminals and the starter batter to the no.2 terminals.

If so and it still does not charge the house battery but charges the starter battery then there is a problem with the battery or the connections to it. perhaps do as suggested above and charge the battery by another means and then try again

If however it fails to charge which ever battery is connected as no2 battery the unit probably is faulty.

I notice it automatically selects 12 or 24 volt operation. It may therefore need to recognise a 12 volt battery as being connected before it will charge it. I assume the instructions require the batteries to be connected before connecting the solar panel ??

VicS

Visit site
I think it could well be that the domestic batts are discharged too far,Over the weekend i done what was suggested,i connected the SP directly to the domestic bank for around 2 hours,This charged the batteries to around 8 volts, when i reconnected the SP controller it recognized there was another battery connected (indicated by a flashing LED) but again started to charge the starter battery(which is priority)

I have to admit that i didn't think of swopping the charge and domestic banks,Ill be down the boat again sometime this week so ill give that a try.

I was not sure if you'd tried that or not.

If your battery is only at 8 volts that may be the problem but if its been allowed to go that low, esp if not recharged straight away, its almost certainly knackered anyway.

However putting a known good battery in its place will hopefully establish whether or not the regulator is OK. You may not know for sure though until you get two good batteries on it.