Selling yacht in marina

wklein

Visit site
Our boat is in a marina and we are considering selling it next year. We have an annual contract which we pay monthly as a payment plan with 3 month deposit. Before I discuss it with the marina (as they will obviously try and make as much money as possible) I would try to get you fine peoples opinions. If I sell it the day after I renew will I be liable for the rest? Will I need to pay weekly? How likely are they to come after me if the boat leaves? Thanks in advance (btw we livaboard so sticking it in a boatyard is impractical if sale drags on, which is pretty likely)

Tranona

Visit site
Our boat is in a marina and we are considering selling it next year. We have an annual contract which we pay monthly as a payment plan with 3 month deposit. Before I discuss it with the marina (as they will obviously try and make as much money as possible) I would try to get you fine peoples opinions. If I sell it the day after I renew will I be liable for the rest? Will I need to pay weekly? How likely are they to come after me if the boat leaves? Thanks in advance (btw we livaboard so sticking it in a boatyard is impractical if sale drags on, which is pretty likely)

Depends entirely on the terms in your contract. You need to look at what notice you have to give (if any) what you are liable for if you leave before your contract runs out and whether you can transfer the berth to a new owner.

It will all be in writing - they won't make it up as they go along.

bedouin

Visit site
If there is no explicit provision in the contract then you will be liable for the whole year as soon as you have signed/renewed the contract. That is the norm in most marinas,

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You may also find that the contract entitles the marina to a share of the sale price, however the boat is sold. However, I have a feeling that someone took one of those to court and had it deemed unfair and therefore unenforceable.

pvb

Visit site
You may also find that the contract entitles the marina to a share of the sale price, however the boat is sold. However, I have a feeling that someone took one of those to court and had it deemed unfair and therefore unenforceable.

It is essentially unenforceable.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

I was that person:D It has been successful in the small claims court now on at least two occasions but has yet to be tested at the high court.