Sailing Yaba

Laminar Flow

Visit site
I have been watching it on and off. As long as I can suppress the urge to smack the lad for (still) not knowing the names to the parts on his boat, I am quite enjoying watching the Brazilian shipwrights going about their business.

It should be quite instructive to the cult of contemporary wooden boat building, I imagine, more concerned with building floating furniture rather than proper wooden ships that are actually meant to get wet and be used. I was on the board of our local wooden boat building school, so I have some insight into the more rarefied echelons of the faith.

Observing the ongoing destruction of the young couple's ship, as more and ever more rot is removed, I cannot shake the impression it might have been kinder to have let the old girl sink to her final rest on the bottom.

38mess

Visit site
I have been watching this, It seemed hopeless at the start, those shipwrights obviously know what they are doing and have done this many times before. The guy is quite annoying I agree, hopefully they can get it finished before the money runs out. Good luck to them

Wansworth

Visit site
Looks like it’s a common design in those parts,I wonder what treatment is used to stave off the tenido and general decay in warm humid conditions,no treatment as far as Ican see on facing surfaces.The boat was not that old but was almost a goner.

Rappey

Visit site
I wonder how much they have already thrown at it ?
"Ship happens" is another project on a large wooden boat that I can't see ever getting completed but will succesfully drain all their finances .
It's interesting to watch the Brazilians trimming the new wood with chainsaws versus tallyho who use block planes and high accuracy.

38mess

Visit site
I wonder how much they have already thrown at it ?
"Ship happens" is another project on a large wooden boat that I can't see ever getting completed but will succesfully drain all their finances .
It's interesting to watch the Brazilians trimming the new wood with chainsaws versus tallyho who use block planes and high accuracy.
I think 'ship happens' are a canny pair, they are trying to build their YouTube patron base to help pay for refurbishment. Tally-ho finance entirely from YouTube patrons and advertising, as Leo informs us at the end of his videos.
Just look at 'Sv delos' take in every year from YouTube.

Rappey

Visit site
they are trying to build their YouTube patron base to help pay for refurbishment.
They have not really achieved much yet other than messing around with existing systems that the boat has.
They have a huge rebuild ahead of them and with just two of them messing about they are not making any headway with the structure of the vessel.

38mess

Visit site
They have not really achieved much yet other than messing around with existing systems that the boat has.
They have a huge rebuild ahead of them and with just two of them messing about they are not making any headway with the structure of the vessel.
Yes this is an epic adventure for just two people. I guess there is no rush

steveeasy

Visit site
I really like watching this couple. They are hands on and ive never heard them ask for money. (Novel that on YouTube) However, its a waste of time and would be financially unviable if it were not for YouTube , but I wonder if was the game plan. without the project, no films. no films, no patrons. Its self financing but morally madness.
Steveeasy

Wansworth

Visit site
The pair on Yaba seem to have no idea what they are doing,progress is being made bythe boatyard but the owners are at loss of what they should be doing,still not treating the frame faces as they contact with the planking,a bit like arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.Sorry to be negative

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
The pair on Yaba seem to have no idea what they are doing,progress is being made bythe boatyard but the owners are at loss of what they should be doing,still not treating the frame faces as they contact with the planking,a bit like arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.Sorry to be negative
But they are living on the donations to their YouTube channel and patron which was of course the reason for doing it. It's just the new begging and nothing to do with boating.

Rappey

Visit site
Progress is reasonably swift on yaba so don't think it will be a huge amount of time before they are afloat again.
I can see ship happens still being in the muddy creek in many years time.
Until they get in a yard or similar then progress will be extremely slow

clyst

Visit site
SHIP Happens is a puzzle to me.... they have no rebuild plans just stumbling from random ripping out to random ripping out . So far it appears that any equipment fitted have been donated .... the canny pair have not spend much of their ownn money . Anyone with even a little knowledge of boats would have run a mile once seen the condition of it . I dont think they have any idea of the costs involved in restoring the "ship " ........ .. utter madness IMHO

Wansworth

Visit site
The good ship Yaba seems to be quite a common design in the area it’s ina handy off wind rig with lots of space for partying and a large engine to beat the wind previous yt footage showed it in working Oder with it would seem paying guests,why it went to ruin is mystery but they will certainly need to protect the bottom from gribble etc

38mess

Visit site
SHIP Happens is a puzzle to me.... they have no rebuild plans just stumbling from random ripping out to random ripping out . So far it appears that any equipment fitted have been donated .... the canny pair have not spend much of their ownn money . Anyone with even a little knowledge of boats would have run a mile once seen the condition of it . I dont think they have any idea of the costs involved in restoring the "ship " ........ .. utter madness IMHO
I think that their YouTube channel is the main reason they are involved with this boat, they can make a lot of money and have fun messing around with the boat.