Round Britain day 14

Concerto

Visit site
After a number of enjoyable days in Hartlepool due to adverse wind direction, today I continued on northward. There was no need to rush this morning as a late start was good for the tide, so topped up the water and diesel tanks. After leaving the lock at 11, the wind was on the nose so I raised the mainsail before leaving the harbour. It did mean motoring into wind to gain some sea room before turning onto a course of 340. The wind was supposed to be SE with SW later and dropping in strength. The wind was more NE meaning a reach with the wind just in front of the beam and I was making 5½ to 6 knots.

I kept my fingers crossed as I still have not use the spinnaker on this trip and longed for some southerly direction. Alas, the wind stayed NE for a long time and slowly dropped. Then a heavy rain storm hit and killed most of the wind and I was now only making 3½ knots, so on went old faithful. The wind never returned fully and I had to use old faithful for the rest of the day. The sea was quite confused with rollers coming from the NE and SE, plus waves between them, none this made it a very uncomfortable ride. The mainsail kept swinging to the centre line of the boat and a couple of times the mainsheet managed to disconnect the autopilot. After sheeting the main in tight to stop it swinging, the headsail was rolled away and was never unrolled again today. There was even another shorter and lighter rain shower.

Checking the boatspeed over the ground, I realised I was going to reach Amble before the tide had a chance to rise enough to allow entry. So reduced the engine revs to 1800rpm and made a steady 4¾ knots through the water. This would make my arrival after low water just about right. To make things interesting I passed between the shore and Coquet Island and it went down to 1.7m under the keel. Even so I did go down to 0.3m just inside the entrance (I drawn 1.6m). Motoring close to the moored fishing boats provided plenty of depth. The cill at Amble Marina was showing 1.8m and when I slowly passed over it, my depth sounder showed 0.2m. I slowly chugged to F pontoon and then ge tly reversed back to lie alongside. It was like a millpond with virtually no wind and as I was still wearing full oilskins, I felt a tad warm. It was now 19.30. A lady came over to help me moor, but I still did it all singlehanded. I also had a welcoming committee of some large ducks with their chicks.

To end the day, I cooked some lamb steaks garnished with mint jelly, along with boiled new potatoes, carrots and broccoli. Very tasty and washed down with some cider.

Nearly forgot to mention the first video is ready to upload to YouTube, so will try and find some wifi tomorrow to do it. Once loaded I will post the link. Now to start the second video.

RB Map 7.jpg

The previous thread is here. Round Britain day 11

For those just reading this group of threads, this is the first post. Round Britian day 1
Every thread has a link to the next part.

Last edited:

PeterV

Visit site
Croquet island was on spring watch last night but I didn’t see you passing! Did you see any Puffins?

Concerto

Visit site
Croquet island was on spring watch last night but I didn’t see you passing! Did you see any Puffins?
No, no puffins as I was concentrating on the echo sounder as the passage between the shore and island is quite narrow. I expect to see some when I am a little further north. Hope to get some good photos and videos in due course.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Finally I managed to load the first video. After about 11 hours of editting and then 2½ hours to load via the marina wifi and then a further ½ hour of YouTube checks. Hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/7kR_gBC_lvc
Lowestoft has not changed. I always found the wind farm service vessels reversing quite funny.

Any reason you have turned comments off?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I loved Amble when there last year. Well worth spending a couple of days wandering round the town.

From there I headed up to Eyemouth, had some awful fish and chips, then up to Arbroath.