Rope Luff Vs Foam Luff

Habebty

Visit site
My second question tonight, queries the choice between foam and rope luff padding.
I was pursuaded by my sailmaker to choose a rope luff over my previous foam luff for a new Genoa 2 years ago. In my experience, the rope luff gives a much poorer sail shape when taking in a few rolls in a blow. Also, when completely furled, The Genoa looks twisted and generally a bit rubbish.
Whilst my old foam luff did eventually squash up a bit, it did a better job of keeping the sail nicely shaped when reefed and smoother when completely furled.
Are rope luffs a cheaper easier option for sailmakers, or are there genuine advantages that my limited experience has not taught me?

michael_w

Visit site
I've found that foam gets crushed away to nothing and the reefed shape is barely improved over nothing at all. Conversly the rope luff doesn't squidge and the reefed shape is much improved.

I am intrigued by the claim that foam is more 'efficient in the long run'; what do you mean?

Last edited:

wilkinsonsails

Visit site
The foam is shaped to take up the belly in the correct place ,it's flatter giving a smoother entry.If the correct foam is used and secured in position,it should not crush.
Rope is a hard abrupt lump behind the luff tape.
Some sailMakers don't even bother to taper it down at the ends.It needs to be secured all the way up the luff other wise it flips about in the pocket causing internal wear.
We have removed bits of rope that have slipped down to a bulge in the luff pocket ,and even one type that turned to fluffy dust when removed.:eek:

michael_w

Visit site
Thank you. I'll still stick to a rope luff though. The one on my best genoa had several layers of rope to achieve the desired result.

Birdseye

Visit site
Yes much cheaper ,usually polypropylene is used.Sail doesn't need a shaped panel to enclose the foam either.
Foam is far more efficient in the long run.
For someone who wants a cheaper sail, nothing wrong with that. After all you pay more for a laminate or a radial cut sail. You pays your money and makes your choice.