Red Diesel

MJGH

Visit site
Just been reading the latest guidance on use of red diesel from April 2022 issued by HMRC
It states

Sailing, boating and marine transport (excluding private pleasure craft in Northern Ireland)
With the exception of private pleasure craft in Northern Ireland, you can use rebated fuel in all types of boat. This includes in their engines and in other machines and appliances permanently on the boat. Since 1 October 2021, you have not been able to put rebated fuel into the tank that supplies the engine used to propel a private pleasure craft in Northern Ireland.

There is no mention of a 60 / 40 split?

st599

Visit site
Just been reading the latest guidance on use of red diesel from April 2022 issued by HMRC
It states

Sailing, boating and marine transport (excluding private pleasure craft in Northern Ireland)
With the exception of private pleasure craft in Northern Ireland, you can use rebated fuel in all types of boat. This includes in their engines and in other machines and appliances permanently on the boat. Since 1 October 2021, you have not been able to put rebated fuel into the tank that supplies the engine used to propel a private pleasure craft in Northern Ireland.

Not sure there is a 60/40 split in NI anymore. I think you'd need a separate tank that doesn't connect to the engine.

JOHNPEET

Visit site
It states

The document also states that the higher rate of duty will only be required to be paid on the fuel used for propulsion.

Was the 60/40 split ever written into law/ official guidance, or was it just an accepted method of assessment by HMRC

st599

Visit site
The document also states that the higher rate of duty will only be required to be paid on the fuel used for propulsion.

Was the 60/40 split ever written into law/ official guidance, or was it just an accepted method of assessment by HMRC

The excerpt you posted said you couldn't put rebated fuel in to a tank connected to an engine, so presumably a second tank for a heater is allowed to be rebated.

Momac

Visit site
Very useful information to those of us not in NI but no doubt a veritable PITA to those that are based there. :(
If I understand correctly there will be a relief scheme in NI equivalent to the 60/40 split. I am not sure it will be any different to now if fuelling a boat in a marina except the fuel will be white.

Robin

Visit site
If I understand correctly there will be a relief scheme in NI equivalent to the 60/40 split. I am not sure it will be any different to now if fuelling a boat in a marina except the fuel will be white.
Any 'new' fuel may well be white but what about that already there?

In our case in England we have just fueled up and have 2 x 500 litres of red in our two tanks in 'stock' As we are not going thataway we can just watch from afar

Momac

Visit site
Any 'new' fuel may well be white but what about that already there?
It seems simple enough . I expect retailers will be required to take white diesel well in advance of next April. I don't expect there is any plan for disposal of any red diesel already in marina tanks.

Robin

Visit site
It seems simple enough . I expect retailers will be required to take white diesel well in advance of next April. I don't expect there is any plan for disposal of any red diesel already in marina tanks.

i wasn't thinking about marina tanks more about the boat tanks filled by owners for the winter with dyed diesel. Academic interest only in my case as we will fill in UK mainland with any colour available and declare our own useage breakdown, certainly have no intention of installing additional separated tanks or revising pipework. I think this is yet another BBM , *Buggers Muddle.

Momac

Visit site
i wasn't thinking about marina tanks more about the boat tanks filled by owners for the winter with dyed diesel. Academic interest only in my case as we will fill in UK mainland with any colour available and declare our own useage breakdown, certainly have no intention of installing additional separated tanks or revising pipework. I think this is yet another BBM , *Buggers Muddle.
I don't see it as a muddle . Very simple in fact . Do nothing as far as the boater is concerned.
The colour of the fuel in the tank of a boat is only a problem if HMRC make it a problem. I think they have better things to do .
Nor is there any indication of any need for separate tanks in any part of the UK (including NI). Marinas are not installing facilities to provide both white diesel and red diesel are they?

Falcoron

Visit site
From what I've been told by a marina owner who has a large red diesel tank for his occupiers. Marked ( red) diesel will be phased out completely in NI .
Fishing vessel's and farmers can claim the tax relief back as they buy, so it wont be available to boat owners who will have no choice other than to buy white.
Before this legislation came into law i had my boat removed from the water in March 21 as i am refurbishing her, she has been on hard stand since.
At that time i filled the tanks to the rim to stop condensation and diesel bug occurring.
there is no way i'm getting rid of that, and the red marker would show up for years after emptying it and refilling with white as its a chemical marker not just a dye.

Surfacesub

Visit site

Am I missing something, this must mean no cost benefit to propel a diesel boat from April 22. So why the excitement?
I'm off to Shop around for a good battery deal!

Hunterlees

Visit site
Am I missing something, this must mean no cost benefit to propel a diesel boat from April 22. So why the excitement?
I'm off to Shop around for a good battery deal!
Leisure users in NI such as myself will not be able to reclaim the duty on propulsion fuel, so will be paying full whack for white diesel.

Surfacesub

Visit site
Leisure users in NI such as myself will not be able to reclaim the duty on propulsion fuel, so will be paying full whack for white diesel.

I feel for you in NI, but the way JOHNPEET's quote reads the rest of the UK is no different to NI, and also paying full whack! MJGH and JOHNPEET is conflicting info or taken out of context, help please?