Recommend me a new tender or small RIB

BruceK

Visit site
You'd be hard pressed to find a ali hulled RIB second hand now within your price range. They are fairly new with the exceptions of some of the top brands (Ribeye et al) but even a raggedy old one sells for mega bucks. The Waveline on wooden chocks is going to cost the same as a ali deck on Hurley's. If it wasn't for the fact you are a hydraulic platform I'd say snap davits with stand offs but that's a compromise too far imo. GRP hulled ribs second hand would be more available but they are far heavier. With a hydraulic platform that shouldnt be an issue, however depending where you use them their massive failing in UK waters is big tides. Beaching one of them is just a headache all round and those that have them in my circles rely on us lighter tenders to ferry them to the beach while they anchor in deeper water.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Hi Bruce, yes thank you, that's helpful. The weight of the GRP ones was what drew me to the Ali. I'm an aging weakling so humping great heavy tenders around is a bad thing. Also I'm conscious of all that weight right at the stern of my boat.

Looking at the positives, the Hurley solution makes launching and retrieval even easier, and leaves more platform clear when it's stowed too.

BruceK

Visit site
Looks good. If you can get the max rated 15 hp in a second hand 2 stroke it could still prove to have enough legs enough for some fun should kids / guests etc want to try a bit of towing yet light enough to manhandle

BruceK

Visit site
Not really viable with a aluminium deck. Even if you dont plan to fold it down, every now and then you need to quickly dismantle the alu deck to rid yourself of sand debris that has washed below. But should you decide to anyway you can buy jockey seats but it would be rather odd and also perfectly doable. (You could well start a trend :p )
You'd need to work out a quick release mechanism rather than bolt it down though. Here is a console, you'd need to supply your own remotes and steering.

Jockey console - Consoles - Tenders - Mooring & Tenders | Plastimo, happy boating to you

bare cast units can be got on ebay for ~500

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Not really viable with a aluminium deck. Even if you dont plan to fold it down, every now and then you need to quickly dismantle the alu deck to rid yourself of sand debris that has washed below...

Ah yes. Rats.

I need to think this through and actually see some product. Pity SIBS is likely to be off (but not confirmed yet AFAIK)

BruceK

Visit site
If you had it on locking rails so it could slide off when required things become simpler. Or a locking latch ....

Bouba

Visit site
I have a Highfield (2.6 if I recall correctly). I use a Torqeedo but I have also used a 2.3 Honda, both go fine. There is a keel protector strip for dragging up beaches. I didn’t get the false deck, big mistake as the curved sides get slimy and make getting in and out difficult for man and dog. I ended up making a wooded deck, it is very functional and looks good but I could have saved the effort. I also got PVC for the cost, big mistake, keeping the boat covered is like an obsession that I could do without. Also the transom was a little low for the Torqeedo to function properly so I’ve raised it.
All in all a nice dingy but my setup is not for someone wanting it for watersports. For some reason all the for hire catamarans around here use Highfield tenders with Hondas

Elessar

Visit site
Um. All a compromise. Inflatable keel not viable with chocks obviously. I might stick with the RIB. Definitely right about the engine weights, that's one of the attractions of the TQ is that it's installed in three bits the heaviest of which is only a few Kg.

EDiT Sorry just seen you said that about the chocks ... have just had a look at the Hurley Davits, about 1400 squids plus fitting costs. :( But an inflatable keel tender may well be cheaper.
I thought you had an up down platform? Engine weight irrelevant as you only put it on once.

Once you’ve got the boat, put the outline of the hull plus the tipped up engine on the platform In tape.

Then do the same with the cabrio that I suggested.

Because the engine doesn’t stick out beyond the sponsons it really makes a huge difference to the usability of the platform when the dinghy is on it.

And you can’t pinch the outboard without launching the dinghy either.

Plus you won’t drop the tipped up engine and gouge your teak.

With a 10 on in will plane easily with 2 people and get up there with 3. I have a 15 which is downright fun.

Im a huge fan of the design.

Elessar

Visit site
OK. Good idea on the second hand 2T, I'll start 'browsing' those famous selling sites...

Any ideas on converting it to wheel steering with a console?
I have a spare 2 stroke mariner 10 you can borrow for the summer to see if it’s the right size for you.

If you like it you can buy it if not just give it back. No obligation.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I thought you had an up down platform? Engine weight irrelevant as you only put it on once.

Once you’ve got the boat, put the outline of the hull plus the tipped up engine on the platform In tape. Then do the same with the cabrio that I suggested. Because the engine doesn’t stick out beyond the sponsons it really makes a huge difference to the usability of the platform when the dinghy is on it.
With a 10 on in will plane easily with 2 people and get up there with 3. I have a 15 which is downright fun.
I'm a huge fan of the design.
Yes, boat has a hydraulic platform, I started off wanting a rigid bottom tender and it got diverted rapidly due to the costs.
I see the benefit of the transom arrangement, the cost of the Cabrio is the sticking point. I see they do a version of it with a console and wheel steering which looks appealing but of course it's even more money....! Shame I spent all I had plus a bit more on the boat!

I have a spare 2 stroke mariner 10 you can borrow for the summer to see if it’s the right size for you. If you like it you can buy it if not just give it back. No obligation.
Thanks that's a great offer, another forumite has also offered me a 2T 15 by PM so engine sorted...!

Elessar

Visit site
Yes, boat has a hydraulic platform, I started off wanting a rigid bottom tender and it got diverted rapidly due to the costs.
I see the benefit of the transom arrangement, the cost of the Cabrio is the sticking point. I see they do a version of it with a console and wheel steering which looks appealing but of course it's even more money....! Shame I spent all I had plus a bit more on the boat!

I paid £1200 for mine including an 8hp from RogerRat. They do come up second hand.

Elessar

Visit site
Has RogerRat got any more and can I get 1st dibbs?
Nope he only had the 1!
He had an azimut with 2 transom doors. The folding transom on the dinghy meant it was short enough to fit between the 2 doors and so mooring either side was equally convenient. Was a great set up.

Last edited:

gordmac

Visit site
Look at waveline 280 then. The Bombard initially was a similar price but has now also become stupid money. It seems ludicrous the prices some ask, almost as if they were competing to see who could sell the least to boast exclusivity. I was in a chandlery a while back they had some inflatable tenders in for 40k I kid you not. Madness.

Waveline 280 Aluminium Hull RIB
I have a friend with one of those as a tender, lives on snap davits on 11m boat. I am impressed with it, much drier and more stable than the basic inflatable. Quite deep at the bow for getting in and out is about the only drawback other than a small basic inflatable is easier to carry up a beach.

Elessar

Visit site
I have a friend with one of those as a tender, lives on snap davits on 11m boat. I am impressed with it, much drier and more stable than the basic inflatable. Quite deep at the bow for getting in and out is about the only drawback other than a small basic inflatable is easier to carry up a beach.
That’s what wheels are for.