Raymarine Type 2 Rotary Drive Experience / Recommendations for Other Rotary Drives

• Thread starter Deleted member 36384
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36384

Hello,

Has anyone got experience of using the Raymarine Type 2 Rotary Drive, comments on reliability, ease of installation, custom sprocket design? Any recommendations for other rotary drives to work with a Raymarine Evolution ACU400 Autohelm.

Raymarine Type 2 Rotary Drive 12v (M81136)

Currently I have an old Neco motor converted to run from the ACU400 but last weekend it stopped working. The clutch still works but the motor will not turn the wheel to correct the direction, it just stays in the same position. If anyone has an idea or thoughts on what could be wrong, ideas welcome. Upto last weekend it was working fine. I checked the fuse inside the motor, okay after the breaker tripped. Breaker resets and stays on. ACU400 fuses all okay.

I have not looked at Linear drives as the space is narrow at the stern, may be able to fit one, but currently would prefer to connect a rotary drive to the existing sprocket on the torque tube.

Thanks,

BlowingOldBoots

D

Deleted member 36384

Do you have the space to mount a Type 1 drive fore and aft?

The Type 1s are too light I understand. The stern pinches up and forward of the rudder post, port side I have a draglink from the rudder stock to a gearbox with another tiller arm . On the starboard side I have a set of drawers and immediatly infront the aft cabin seat between the bunks with foot locker below. The way the hull curves up, the rudder stock sits in a deep V and any linear drive would be mounted at an angle pushing down onto the tiller arm. I only have 28 degree of rudder movement and if a linear drive could fit it would be very tight at some odd angle. Jeffa make motors but pricy however, interestingly, they make motors that bolt onto the side of bevel bevel boxes, of which I have a few. Easiest solution, if I cant repair the Neco motor, would be a Type 2 Rotary Drive with a custom sprocket to match my chain.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The Type 1s are too light I understand. The stern pinches up and forward of the rudder post, port side I have a draglink from the rudder stock to a gearbox with another tiller arm . On the starboard side I have a set of drawers and immediatly infront the aft cabin seat between the bunks with foot locker below. The way the hull curves up, the rudder stock sits in a deep V and any linear drive would be mounted at an angle pushing down onto the tiller arm. I only have 28 degree of rudder movement and if a linear drive could fit it would be very tight at some odd angle. Jeffa make motors but pricy however, interestingly, they make motors that bolt onto the side of bevel bevel boxes, of which I have a few. Easiest solution, if I cant repair the Neco motor, would be a Type 2 Rotary Drive with a custom sprocket to match my chain.

Given your description here, a linear drive is not suitable, even if you could squeeze it in. You cannot fit it so it pushes down on the tiller arm, for one thing.

D

Deleted member 36384

Given your description here, a linear drive is not suitable, even if you could squeeze it in. You cannot fit it so it pushes down on the tiller arm, for one thing.

Yes, that's my conclusion, if a linear system could fit, it would be by trial and error as opposed to detailed measuring as the spaces is very tight. Likely a dog leg tiller arm or some offset could be constructed and drawers removed but that would start getting into big hassle and expense.

The Raymarine Type 2 Rotary would likely fit with a custom sprocket but I am not sure of reliability of these devices and have found little information on them beyond Raymarine technical information. I could commit to a Jeffa motor such as the Jefa 200 Nm sprocket autopilot drive unit if the Raymarine was not reliable. The assumption being, spend the cash once and have a reliable system. The Jeffa is about £1200, The Type 2 about £1400.

I guess what I am looking for is advice on what is more reliable, Jeffa or Raymarine, if I am going to commit to a new rotary drive instead of trying to get the Neco +40 year old tech working.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Yes, that's my conclusion, if a linear system could fit, it would be by trial and error as opposed to detailed measuring as the spaces is very tight. Likely a dog leg tiller arm or some offset could be constructed and drawers removed but that would start getting into big hassle and expense.

The Raymarine Type 2 Rotary would likely fit with a custom sprocket but I am not sure of reliability of these devices and have found little information on them beyond Raymarine technical information. I could commit to a Jeffa motor such as the Jefa 200 Nm sprocket autopilot drive unit if the Raymarine was not reliable. The assumption being, spend the cash once and have a reliable system. The Jeffa is about £1200, The Type 2 about £1400.

I guess what I am looking for is advice on what is more reliable, Jeffa or Raymarine, if I am going to commit to a new rotary drive instead of trying to get the Neco +40 year old tech working.

Jefa kit is top notch, they make the Garmin linear drives. I don't hear any complaints about Raymarine rotary drives, but if it was me, i'd fit the Jefa unit.

D

Deleted member 36384

Jefa kit is top notch, they make the Garmin linear drives. I don't hear any complaints about Raymarine rotary drives, but if it was me, i'd fit the Jefa unit.

I like how Jeffa explains the load sharing across the the planetary gears and more efficient working. The Raymarine looks like a motor driving a gear that connects to the drive shaft gear, because of the offset look, but its not clear. Thanks for your advice.

chubby

www.flickr.com
I have that type of raymarine rotary drive linked by chain to a sprocket on the rod steering system that was there before from a very ancient autopilot, this was to replace the bolt on raymarine system attached directly yo the wheel, very happy with it, much quieter and more effective than the previous system. Took a bit of thinking about chains and sprockets and tooth ratios but solved with the help of a local engineering company who did that sort of thing for agricultural and commercial drives.