Raymarine ST60 Log transducers

ithet

Visit site
I have just had a response from NASA Marine, saying that they will have a modified version of their EM transducer that will output a pulse output suitable for use with the ST60.

Thanks for following that up. Probably one lest project for me now, although I might explore the E85001 option sometime, but it would be far simpler with the updated NASA unit.

[163233]

Visit site
Yes, but NMEA is very much a second class citizen in their ecosystem. Not all NMEA sentences make it, and not all are used.
I'd imagine the log is a pretty basic message, but I can't check as I can't get to the boat.
Bloody lockdown.

My E7 is wired to a Raymarine AIS via NMEA (can't bring myself to pay raymarine rates for cabling) and can get GPS position from that and also forwards it to the radio, but also via NMEA. However I could test the log by connecting the computer up to generate log messages on NMEA into the E7 and see if it appeared on the log display. If I could get there... grrr....

[163233]

Visit site
So, having finally got to the boat (only minor damage), I tried this out.

My boat has an ST60+ speed wired through Seatalk to an E7D plotter and an AIS650 transponder connected to the plotter via NMEA 0183 (the fast version)
Because of the gubbins it's easier for me to get to a spare NMEA input on the AIS, so I wired up the PC to that, and set it to churn out speed messages. The plotter needs to be set to use NMEA as its data source for speed, and the ST60+ needs the paddlewheel disconnecting.

But, sure enough I had my boat doing a good 23.4 knots whilst tied to the pontoon according to both the plotter and the ST60+.

ithet

Visit site
So, having finally got to the boat (only minor damage), I tried this out.

My boat has an ST60+ speed wired through Seatalk to an E7D plotter and an AIS650 transponder connected to the plotter via NMEA 0183 (the fast version)
Because of the gubbins it's easier for me to get to a spare NMEA input on the AIS, so I wired up the PC to that, and set it to churn out speed messages. The plotter needs to be set to use NMEA as its data source for speed, and the ST60+ needs the paddlewheel disconnecting.

But, sure enough I had my boat doing a good 23.4 knots whilst tied to the pontoon according to both the plotter and the ST60+.

Just to confirm, you were sending speed through water messages?

And did the ST60 distance/trip increment. And if you have an ST60 wind was it showing true wind based on the speed you were sending?

[163233]

Visit site
Just to confirm, you were sending speed through water messages?

And did the ST60 distance/trip increment. And if you have an ST60 wind was it showing true wind based on the speed you were sending?
Yes, VHW.
Specifically:- $APVHW,245.1,T,245.1,M,023.45,N,023.45,K*44
So I was pretending to be from the autopilot which doesn't normally send this info. I could try others.

Sadly my wind is tacktick, and I don't have the hull converter so all I get is apparent.
The ST60+ Speed/Depth was only wired via seatalk, and I can't see any other way a seatalk wired wind instrument would get water speed.
The plotter was showing the same speed.

I think a different message is used for the log.
Actually it can't run the log on the slave ST60 because there's not enough info in the speed messages about timing.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Update!

I have, after a bit if a struggle with the wiring, got the NASA transducer working with the ST60. It reacts to speed changes much quicker than the SOG from the GPS, and seems to be reasonably accurate. I need to calibrate it properly!

cpedw

Visit site
Update!

I have, after a bit if a struggle with the wiring, got the NASA transducer working with the ST60. It reacts to speed changes much quicker than the SOG from the GPS, and seems to be reasonably accurate. I need to calibrate it properly!
Congrats.
Is that using NMEA or did you get hold of a pulse generating version?

CPD

Visit site
Pulse generating.

Was that using a "modified unit from NASA which generates a pulse output, or did you use n alternative method ? (and oif so what ?).. Really interested in this but my electronics knowledge isn't what you might call advanced :). Many thanks ......

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Does it have a part number?
Was that using a "modified unit from NASA which generates a pulse output, or did you use n alternative method ? (and oif so what ?).. Really interested in this but my electronics knowledge isn't what you might call advanced :). Many thanks ......
It was a modified unit from NASA that emits a pulse output via a modified electronic interface unit. I only have the part number EML-2, but I think that's the original NMEA emitting unit; the unit I have has all the hallmarks of being a prototype, including incorrect documentation that required several emails to clarify! However, I'm sure that enquiries to NASA will bear fruit.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
It was a modified unit from NASA that emits a pulse output via a modified electronic interface unit. I only have the part number EML-2, but I think that's the original NMEA emitting unit; the unit I have has all the hallmarks of being a prototype, including incorrect documentation that required several emails to clarify! However, I'm sure that enquiries to NASA will bear fruit.

Thanks .. might be in the market for that but in no hurry .... I have a feeling my paddle wheel sensor does water temperature too though :unsure: ... does the NASA unit do temp?

CPD

Visit site
Would you be happy to share a sketch of the modifications to the standard unit you used to make it work ?. Many thanks ....

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I'm not really sure how I missed this thread .... but there are dozens of others where I have posted about my experience with the CruzPro SOG-1 and SOG-2.

The SOG-2, in particular, is just plug and play into the Raymarine ST60 system. Unplug the paddlewheel as you will never need it again, or, if you don't have a paddlewheel, simply plug the SOG-2 or SOG-1 into your ST60 and you will have the full functionality of the ST60 system (distance log, real wind speed etc) without a paddlewheel.

CruzPro SOG1 GPS NMEA 0183 to Paddlewheel Speed Pulse Converter.

CruzPro SOG2 GPS NMEA 0183 to Paddlewheel Speed Pulse Converter.

It couldn't be simpler. :)

Richard