Pretend I a Newbie. 2nd Thought, Don't Pretend!?!

noneother

Visit site
Looking Around to see if situation is doable, so whats the going rate for someone or more to Sail a boat from Massachusetts to the tip of England and further if possible? Is it possible to do it for free (like I said Newbie)? What would be expected by a crew of someone who cannot sail but wishes to learn on the way, but can also cook. As I'm a complete novice (I'm sure experience on a motor boat or narrow boat, isn't applicable) I'm willing to listen and learn but due to a learning disability, repeated directions are appreciated. Just need to find a sailboat cooker/oven and gas hookup. Anyways it could be soon but probably later, so any pointers to anything is appreciated by anyone?

T.I.A.

Yours
noneother

zoidberg

Visit site
I reckon it's likely doable, but this is probably not a good time of year for that trip. Most owner/skippers would be looking for individuals who could stand a watch and understood enough of living safely in the environment not to be a burden on others.
Should you be thinking of next year, then you have time to learn some skills which would be needed on a boat crossing the cold and stormy North Atlantic.

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
I sometimes need crew (I'm a delivery skipper) and always look for people who can stand a watch. It's the difference from being part of the crew and being a passenger. Recommend you get some sailing in home waters first; an Atlantic crossing, especially W to E, is not something a complete novice should undertake without a few miles under their belt.

As Zoidberg says though, it's perfectly doable once you've got a bit of sea time.

Last edited:

chrishscorp

Visit site
You need to do some much smaller trips first to find out if you are going to be seasick, it can affect many of us some of us it will just pass some can really suffer and the only cure can be to be put ashore, a transatlantic trip is not really the place to find that out.

You would hopefully learn quite a bit on some smaller coast hopping trips on a sailing boat.

Have you looked at the Jubilee Sailing Trust they would try to give you as much or as little support as you needed
A Sea of Possibility | JST

noneother

Visit site
Personally. I had planned to follow the shore until I reach Faro, Portugal, but in hindsight it looks like getting some training maybe better but there is none till next summer so I will save until then, I just hate that all the boats for decent prices that meet my requirements, (Big enough for my cat, 6.5 inch headroom, and large enough to live on long term) are across the pond, (Atlantic) down the West Coast of the U.S.A. I do appreciate the help given on the forum, thank you all.