Povoa de Varzim - Portuguese Residency

nortada

Visit site
The 5 year residence actually states the holder is a citizen of the EU which of course we won't be after 31/12 so, most likely not an option next year. Permanent residence ID which lasts 10 years also says the same so, it will be interesting to see what will happen at renewal. Fortunately, those of us married to a citizen have more rights when applying for citizenship (if needed) than others.

Read somewhere on here that, whilst it is possible to hold multiple residencies, you can only be a citizen of a single country; don’t know if that is true or not but I would not wish to renounce my British citizenship.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Read somewhere on here that, whilst it is possible to hold multiple residencies, you can only be a citizen of a single country; don’t know if that is true or not but I would not wish to renounce my British citizenship.

My wife has dual citizenship. UK and Portugal not a problem but, it is I'm told with some countries.

GHA

Visit site
You'll likely be automatically have both Irish and UK citizenship if born in Northern Ireland.
Nice having a choice of passports cruising, one with EU on it :cool:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Having looked into multiple residents issue,it looks like it's perfectly ok.. ie to keep using and extended 6 months visa in different EU med countries will work, you will just have to have a more exiting cruise

nortada

Visit site
Having looked into multiple residents issue,it looks like it's perfectly ok.. ie to keep using and extended 6 months visa in different EU med countries will work, you will just have to have a more exiting cruise

Hi Rob,

In Portugal registration and temporary residency are the same thing, issued by the câmara but it is my understanding, in Spain, you register with the police but get residency from the junta? Possibly one of the folk in Spain will be able to correct or qualify this. Just highlights, whatever Brussels may think, countries do their own thing.

Because of it's location most people who come to Portugal are in transit or intend to spend most of there time there, with an up to 90 day summer cruise in to Spain or further east. For them, no need for any visa hassle so temporary Portuguese residency is the easiest solution.

Post the Transition Period it will be interesting to see if multiple visas are still possible or will the Schengen Data Base detect and prohibit this option. Somehow I doubt it.?

Likewise getting residency could be a whole new ball-game.

Visit site
Thanks Guys for clearing this one up.

What is the advantage of citizenship over residency?
It depends on your circumstances, perhaps not a lot for a liveaboard but it makes integration easier if you live in a village. It gives you the upper hand when the (rare) resentful yob says "Go to your own country". It gives you the right to vote and hence the right to join in a conversation criticising the government. In other words a feeling of belonging.

emandvee44

Visit site
A few months ago I asked the British Consul if it was possible to be officially resident in 2 EU countries at the same time. he replied (in writing) that it is not permitted.
M.

Visit site
A few months ago I asked the British Consul if it was possible to be officially resident in 2 EU countries at the same time. he replied (in writing) that it is not permitted.
M.
There is confusion here between residence .and nationality. I have dual nationality but am resident in Portugal so my basic fiscal obligations are to Portugal and this is where I vote.
I am also entitled to two passports but don´t have either because (at the moment ) my Portuguese ID card takes me anywhere that I care to go.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
M.
I assume this is the British Consul in Spain? Well he is wrong because, like many others, I have Portuguese residency and UK ordinary residency. I can vote in both Portugal and UK local elections. My tax responsibilities are where I choose to have them.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Well he is wrong because, like many others, I have Portuguese residency and UK ordinary residency. I can vote in both Portugal and UK local elections. My tax responsibilities are where I choose to have them.

My wife has dual nationality and is resident in UK and Portugal, I'm a UK citizen with residence in both countries. Tax residence for both of us is UK.

Dual residents 2018 (HS302)

Last edited:

emandvee44

Visit site
Perhaps I should have explained more fully. I am a UK citizen and I have residencia in Spain - I was asking if I could also have official residence in another EU country (other than UK) at the same time. The answer from the Embassy (sorry it was not the Consul) in the country where I asked the question, face to face as it happens, at an expats meeting was no.
M.

nortada

Visit site
Perhaps I should have explained more fully. I am a UK citizen and I have residencia in Spain - I was asking if I could also have official residence in another EU country (other than UK) at the same time. The answer from the Embassy (sorry it was not the Consul) in the country where I asked the question, face to face as it happens, at an expats meeting was no.
M.

So you have ordinary residency in the UK and Spanish residency but would like residency in yet another country - why?

In which country did you ask the question and I assume the briefing you were at was being run by UK embassy staff?

To mitigate the problems of lock-down, many of the (non-UK) EU flagged boats in Lagos got Portuguese residencia. Obviously they were still residents in their home countries. If you pitch up in Portugal, I suspect you to would be able to have Portuguese residency.

If you plan to be in a number EU countries for more than 90 days you are required to REGISTER your presence. In Portugal when you register you will be given 5 years temporary Portuguese RESIDENCY.

Think (like so many things), it depends on which country you are in so it is possible that Spain has a different policy to Portugal.

greeny

Visit site
You could......................Get 5 yr temporary residence in Portugal. Then go to Spain and do the same there, I know the system will be slightly different but it must be do-able as many have done it. Then sail to France and apply and get temporary 5yr residence there.
Bob's your uncle and you've now got 4 current residencies in Europe - UK, Portugal, Spain and France.
Or any combination of the above that suits your circumstances. :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Times running out though, only 5 months left before obtaining residencias may get slightly more difficult for UK citizens.

nortada

Visit site
Think we have drifted a long way from Portuguese residency in Povoa de Varsim.?

You could......................Get 5 yr temporary residence in Portugal. Then go to Spain and do the same there, I know the system will be slightly different but it must be do-able as many have done it. Then sail to France and apply and get temporary 5yr residence there.
Bob's your uncle and you've now got 4 current residencies in Europe - UK, Portugal, Spain and France.
Or any combination of the above that suits your circumstances. :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Times running out though, only 5 months left before obtaining residencias may get slightly more difficult for UK citizens.

You could but got to ask the question, why would you❓

Residency in one Schengen Zone country will give you unlimited time in that country, plus 90 in 180 days total in any (all) other Schengen Zone countries.

I would be interested to hear of any set of circumstances that the above wouldn’t cover.

Re Spain when I made enquiries if you spend less than 183 days there in any one year you lose your residency

Given there are no boarders between Spain, Portugal or France, (or for that matter all of the Schengen Zone) how is Spain going to know where you are❓

This raises the broader question of tracking Brits within the Schengen Zone after 31/12/20❓

Last edited:

emandvee44

Visit site
So you have ordinary residency in the UK and Spanish residency but would like residency in yet another country - why?

In which country did you ask the question and I assume the briefing you were at was being run by UK embassy staff?

My other half is from a EU country and we have a house there. You are correct, we attended a pre-Brexit briefing there by the Ambassador, earlier this year. For very little cost I thought it might be beneficial to be officially resident in that country as well.

In reply to JB I do not think that is right. We are resident in Spain, but not fiscally resident, which kicks in if you spend more than 183 days per calendar year in the country.
M.

nortada

Visit site
My other half is from a EU country and we have a house there. You are correct, we attended a pre-Brexit briefing there by the Ambassador, earlier this year. For very little cost I thought it might be beneficial to be officially resident in that country as well.

In reply to JB I do not think that is right. We are resident in Spain, but not fiscally resident, which kicks in if you spend more than 183 days per calendar year in the country.
M.

Thanks for clearing this up✔️?

jordanbasset

Visit site
Given there are no boarders between Spain, Portugal or France, (or for that matter all of the Schengen Zone) how is Spain going to know where you are❓

This raises the broader question of tracking Brits within the Schengen Zone after 31/12/20❓
We normally spend 5 months in Spain over winter, getting the ferry direct to and from Spain, so they would know I assume

jordanbasset

Visit site
M.
This is an email reply I had from lawyers

' www.sun-lawyers.com

Good afternoon xxxxx

My colleague xxxxx has asked me to contact you.

I can see from your initial email that you are wanting to continue staying in Spain during the winter months.

If you are to apply for you residencia, you will then have to be here a minimum of 183 days as otherwise you will revoke your residencia and what with the high probability of passports going to get stamped, it will be easy to prove.

I you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would like a meeting via zoom or even a telephone consultation, we can arrange this.

Have a great afternoon!
Un saludo cordial,
Kind regards,