Possibly the prettiest Kim Holman design?

srm

Visit site
I was assessing its ‘wetness’ from the fine entry, relatively low buoyancy f’wd and the ease with which any wave you plough into will sweep the deck and end up over you in the cockpit.

Ah, the wisdom of the armchair sailor.

For nine years I sailed a McGruer designed 8 metre cruiser/racer based in the far north of Scotland. 42ft on deck 30ft waterline, 9ft11inch max beam over the tumblehome, and low freeboard. She was sailed frequently and extensively during the northern season as I ran her as a charter yacht, including a couple of crossing between Shetland and Norway in F8 conditions.

Only once did she plough into a wave in the way you describe and that was while ghosting in calm water inside the Norwegian islands with minimum steerage way. One of the Hurtigruten ferries passed fairly close at full speed. We rose smoothly over the first wash wave but scooped up the face of the second onto the foredeck. Hardly typical sea sailing conditions.

DFL1010

Visit site
Ah, the wisdom of the armchair sailor.

For nine years I sailed a McGruer designed 8 metre cruiser/racer based in the far north of Scotland. 42ft on deck 30ft waterline, 9ft11inch max beam over the tumblehome, and low freeboard. She was sailed frequently and extensively during the northern season as I ran her as a charter yacht, including a couple of crossing between Shetland and Norway in F8 conditions.

Only once did she plough into a wave in the way you describe and that was while ghosting in calm water inside the Norwegian islands with minimum steerage way. One of the Hurtigruten ferries passed fairly close at full speed. We rose smoothly over the first wash wave but scooped up the face of the second onto the foredeck. Hardly typical sea sailing conditions.

Not sure I'd go as far as calling John Morris an armchair sailor!

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Accepted, but it does read as if he is happily passing judgement without the benefit of first hand experience of sailing such vessels in the conditions that he is choosing to criticise them.
Hmm. Perhaps I have. I’ve certainly sailed several similar vessels and some were very wet indeed. I’m delighted to be corrected if I’ve made an error in this instance though.

Reactions: srm

Ruggr88

Visit site
Breeze is owned and maintained by my incredibly hard-working parents. She raced in the Suffolk Classic Regatta at the weekend, coming 6th overall (out of 32). Here's a cracking shot of her taken by the regatta photographer:
Breeze of Yorkshire, Suffolk Classic Regatta 2022

And another: Breeze of Yorkshire, Suffolk Classic Regatta 2022, photo 2

I can confirm that even in east coast short chop she was dry in the cockpit (maybe the breakwater of crew on the rail helped?) ... but if staying dry is a priority then perhaps a big, tall doghouse or a nice, comfy boat on the hard is the right option? ;)

Sister ship, Whisperer, is currently in Elephant, Hamble.
An interesting snippet and couple of old photos of her: Whisperer

NealB

Visit site
Breeze is owned and maintained by my incredibly hard-working parents. She raced in the Suffolk Classic Regatta at the weekend, coming 6th overall (out of 32). Here's a cracking shot of her taken by the regatta photographer:

I can confirm that even in east coast short chop she was dry in the cockpit (maybe the breakwater of crew on the rail helped?) ... but if staying dry is a priority then perhaps a big, tall doghouse or a nice, comfy boat on the hard is the right option? ;)

Thank you for those spirit-lifting pics!!! :love:

steveeasy

Visit site

Whisperer keeps my Twister Helix in good company at the yard. Very deceiving below decks, spacious and accommodating. such a great design in all ways. both look fab on the water.
Steveeasy