Netherlands Staande Mastroute

rbmatthews

rubytuesday39.wordpress.com
Following on from our circumnavigation of the UK, we carried on and did the southern half of the Netherlands Staande Mastroute, starting at Vlissingen in the south, passing through Zeeland, South Holland and North Holland where we left the boat for the winter. Covid and Brexit permitting, we hope to carry on next year, but are still debating whether to take the outer route round the Frisian Islands, or carry on with the northern section of the Staande Mastroute to Delfzijl.

The problem with the latter, I think, is that it might be a bit shallow for our 2 m draft, but we are interested in others' experiences and advice on this. We would be quite keen on visiting the Frisian Islands anyway. Ultimate destination is the Baltic where we hope to explore for 2-3 years or whatever it takes.

For anyone that is interested, our blog of the Staand Mastroute trip, photos, musings and ramblings en route is at 2020: The Staande Mastroute

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
I have done the route many times, to and fro from the Baltic, but with a draft of about 1.5m. The shallowest bits tend to be from the Lauwersmeer to Delfzijl. The gat from Delfzijl to Norderney is marginal but we followed a boat drawing about 1.8m and bumped our way through, though it is straightforward going west. There are many places of interest in the Frisians, so I wouldn't worry too much if this becomes your route. The Frisians are very popular especially at weekends, so try to avoid turning up on a Saturday!

Fossil

Visit site
If you want to go quickly, go outside. Even if you can get through on depth - and 2m is right on the practical limit - you will find that the inside route has very many bridges, and you will have to go slowly, and/or wait for them to open. And each bridge opener will dangle his or her fishing line with the traditional clog on the end for a monetary contribution, so take plenty of small-change euros!

Having said that, the inside route can occupy a very pleasant few days, particularly if you are interested in wildlife and especially birds.

Another potential holdup in summertime is the proliferation of festivals, processions, marching bands, boat races and other such folklorique happenings in the towns along the route. These can be fun, interesting and instructive, but you can also get solidly held up for 24 hours or more if the bridges stay down. And the noise of disco music or drunken songsters on the canal bank can play havoc with sleep (don't ask how I know this!).

But we used to love going to the islands and spent many happy holidays up there when we kept our boat in the Oosterschelde. We often took the Standemastroute the whole way and treated it as part of the holiday. A particular favourite was the night convoy through Amsterdam, which is a boating experience you will never get anywhere else.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I did this trip (outside with 2m draft) in reverse in 2018. I think you will struggle with depth having 2m draft.
The outside route is straightforward although the swatchways from the deep water in to the ports on the islands need careful navigation.
I spent 3 years based at Greifswald after commissioning a new Hanse and loved the Baltic, especially the Stockholm archipelago and Gothenburg to Oslo.