Middle Sea Race results?

Mudisox

Visit site
I am not sure that once a boat has crossed the finishing line, therefore finishing as per the definition, the Race Committee can change the rules of the competition.

flaming

Visit site
I am not sure that once a boat has crossed the finishing line, therefore finishing as per the definition, the Race Committee can change the rules of the competition.
I have a sneaky feeling that this is going to end up in appeals. I rather think the Race Committee have made a mess of this, and I'm not 100% sure that the Jury's decision isn't challengeable.

DFL1010

Visit site
I have a sneaky feeling that this is going to end up in appeals. I rather think the Race Committee have made a mess of this, and I'm not 100% sure that the Jury's decision isn't challengeable.

If it's a properly appointed IJ under Appendix N, then their decisions cannot be appealed (R70.5). They may be reopened under R66, however I'm not sure what new evidence could potentially be found here, and I'd think it'd have to be a really quite strong argument for the jury to decide that they made an error.

flaming

Visit site
If it's a properly appointed IJ under Appendix N, then their decisions cannot be appealed (R70.5). They may be reopened under R66, however I'm not sure what new evidence could potentially be found here, and I'd think it'd have to be a really quite strong argument for the jury to decide that they made an error.
True... There are some very pissed off people now though. However futile an appeal might be, I have a sneaking suspicion that it might happen.

Laser310

Visit site
was the harbour actually closed.., by say the harbour master..., or did the RC just decide it was too rough for boats to finish there?

Walther

Visit site
However futile an appeal might be, I have a sneaking suspicion that it might happen.
It’s not a question of an appeal being ultimately futile. The issue is that there is no right of appeal, or any appeal panel entitled to hear it.

Would somebody care to explain and/or send a link to the decision being talked about, as that seems to be missing from this thread
My previous post (#4) contained a link.

dunedin

Visit site
It’s not a question of an appeal being ultimately futile. The issue is that there is no right of appeal, or any appeal panel entitled to hear it.

My previous post (#4) contained a link.
Nope, #4 just says that a protest by one boat was rejected on appeal - for reasons related to rules on finishing lines, without clarifying what the race committee actually did that upset the protestor

Walther

Visit site
The hot link in post #4 is to the decision. If you dislike its brevity (typical of International Juries), I cannot assist you with that.

blade

Visit site
Sounds like this one is going to reverberate around the sailing community for some time to come. I had originally seen that Sunrise was the outright winner, and then later shown as 2nd - didn't know why until saw the protests lodged on the RMSR website.

Laser310

Visit site
Sounds like this one is going to reverberate around the sailing community for some time to come.

everyone will move on.

it's not as if many races have a provision in the SI's for choosing one of two finish lines.., after the race has started...

so, while it sure looks bad.., it's not as if there is much applicability generally.

Wing Mark

Visit site
everyone will move on.

it's not as if many races have a provision in the SI's for choosing one of two finish lines.., after the race has started...

so, while it sure looks bad.., it's not as if there is much applicability generally.
Almost every race can be shortened at any mark,
But not after boats have passed that mark.

I wonder if many bets had been placed on the outcome?

Shortening to the last completed lap is acceptable in amateur mickey mouse club racing.
But then all handicap racing tends towards Mickey Mouse when anything off-message happens.

Walther

Visit site
Sounds like this one is going to reverberate around the sailing community for some time to come.

While that seems a bit overstated (few people in sailing are terribly interested in offshore racing), I do agree that it will leave a bad taste in the mouths of this year’s competitors, and may deter boats from entering in future Muddle Sea races.

Clearly the International Jury thought the RC’s decision was defensible under the SIs and the RRS: which is fine, but only goes so far. Shortening the course after many (most?) of the boats had already finished was bound to cause confusion and upset, and seems at best ill-considered. Huge black mark for the Royal Malta.

What is the name of the Principal Race Officer? I wouldn’t choose to compete on any future courses under his or her control.