Mercury 3.3 gear lever

Crowblack

Visit site
It's stuck in the casing - I've checked all the other bits of the gear mechanism and all OK.

So how do l get the plastic lever out ?

I've removed small plate to gain access to grub screw which secures it to arm to rod down leg but although arm moves on lever shaft - - the spindle of the lever appears very stiff in the casing.

Is it just the grub screw that retains the lever and it's just pull very hard or is there something else I'm missing - anybody done this ?

David

VicS

Visit site
It's stuck in the casing - I've checked all the other bits of the gear mechanism and all OK.

So how do l get the plastic lever out ?

I've removed small plate to gain access to grub screw which secures it to arm to rod down leg but although arm moves on lever shaft - - the spindle of the lever appears very stiff in the casing.

Is it just the grub screw that retains the lever and it's just pull very hard or is there something else I'm missing - anybody done this ?

David

Common problem. Lack of provision to lubricate and corrosion.

Nothing else holding it although there are a couple of O rings in there.

Hot water, patience and gentle persuasion.

Watch out for the detent ball and spring

Mercury shift lever.JPG

Bobc

Visit site
Wiggle and pull, wiggle and pull. I noticed last weekend that the one on my engine has just started getting stiff again.

jwilson

Visit site
Wiggle and pull, wiggle and pull. I noticed last weekend that the one on my engine has just started getting stiff again.
Yes - wiggle and pull, some Plus-gas, gentle tapping on non-handle end. Don't break the handle off! Very very common. Aftter first time you'll clean and grease it more often.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Yes - wiggle and pull, some Plus-gas, gentle tapping on non-handle end. Don't break the handle off! Very very common. Aftter first time you'll clean and grease it more often.

Yes, broke first one on my Mariner 3.3 despite careful lubrication with grease mentioned in manual. I even tried removing, sanding off some plastic and replacing O-rings. It still became very stiff and then snapped off. Replacement also became stiff after a short while. I guessed that the plastic was reacting with the grease and slowly expanding. Pure guesswork as it was the correct grease. I removed the lever, cleaned off all traces of grease and lubricated with silicone grease. That seemed to work and I haven't even bothered to remove the lever for further lubrication. I think it has been fine for past 3 years and still moves easily.

I vaguely remember using a flat screwdriver as a lever to help removal. I think it fitted into a gap at the end of the lever and I wiggled the gear selector whilst levering lightly with the screwdriver. I remember it being difficult to remove but haven't done it for about 7-8 years.

Annual greasing with Quicksilver 2-4-C didn't help during first 2-3 years, unless I misread the manual and that wasn't the correct grease. Silicone grease certainly worked for the last 9-10 years.

EDIT:
Just noticed that diagram in post by VicS shows 2 numbers for lubricant. I'm guessing No.7 is 2-4-C and No.95 could be silicone. My service manual only shows one lubricant for O-rings (Marked A and identified as 2-4-C Marine Lubricant 92-90018A12).

Last edited:

Crowblack

Visit site
All is now well following above advice - shifts into gear easily with a satisfying clunk.

VicS advice followed plus "wiggle and pull" greased with 2-4-C and also had to replace one o-ring (the outside one)

Method on "wiggle and pull" was to grip lever with a mole wrench liberal use of WD and clock and anticlock wiggle - it worked for me !

Lesson learnt is make it a service item to grease at least every couple of years or as soon as resistance at the lever is felt.

Thanks again to all.

David.

graham

Visit site
Hi Vic found this on search and fixed my seized up tohatsu 3.5 gear change in half an hour this afternoon .Thanks for all your info online about outboard motor fixes.

VicS

Visit site
Yes, broke first one on my Mariner 3.3 despite careful lubrication with grease mentioned in manual. I even tried removing, sanding off some plastic and replacing O-rings. It still became very stiff and then snapped off. Replacement also became stiff after a short while. I guessed that the plastic was reacting with the grease and slowly expanding. Pure guesswork as it was the correct grease. I removed the lever, cleaned off all traces of grease and lubricated with silicone grease. That seemed to work and I haven't even bothered to remove the lever for further lubrication. I think it has been fine for past 3 years and still moves easily.

I vaguely remember using a flat screwdriver as a lever to help removal. I think it fitted into a gap at the end of the lever and I wiggled the gear selector whilst levering lightly with the screwdriver. I remember it being difficult to remove but haven't done it for about 7-8 years.

Annual greasing with Quicksilver 2-4-C didn't help during first 2-3 years, unless I misread the manual and that wasn't the correct grease. Silicone grease certainly worked for the last 9-10 years.

EDIT:
Just noticed that diagram in post by VicS shows 2 numbers for lubricant. I'm guessing No.7 is 2-4-C and No.95 could be silicone. My service manual only shows one lubricant for O-rings (Marked A and identified as 2-4-C Marine Lubricant 92-90018A12).

7 is Loctite 271

95 is 2-4-C but I think I would use silicone grease