MAN have nailed it in 1 .

Portofino

Visit site
what exactly will happen then is the Q though!

I fear it will be ban on new built of certain types/sizes without hybrid propulsion fullstop.
I v.much doubt an older boat wont be able to enter a port without hybrid propulsion and anyway how are they going to police that? And say you do have such crap and something fails in the system (wont be the first time) and you're left with diesel propulsion only, wont you be able to go back to your birth?
I think we are simply dreaming...
You will be billed for entering a low emission zone with the wrong propulsion .
Just like cities now with cars .London .Nothings banned they use cameras to police it .
A camera somewhere and in the port or AIS or some other obligatory tracker knows who’s where and when .
The cost of berthing a “ e “ boat significantly reduces compared to a trad diesel only .

Nothing is banned in the ports .Gov s just jump on dirty diesel s as a tax cash cow .

BruceK

Visit site
Dirty diesels?

I'd like to point them to the pristine waters of Conwy chock a block full of dirty diesels. So dirty it has world renown mussel farming beneath us, blue beach certification and of such high quality they are introducing near extinct species of oysters and the like as their best chance of breeding and developing a healthy population to reintroduce elsewhere. All this when you have the pristine waters of Anglesey and the Menai nearby. Dirty diesel my two buttock cheeks. Hysteric backlash more like.

Edit Boats have negligible impact. The problems with coastal cleanliness is almost wholly down to agricultural wash off and sewage dumping.

Last edited:

Zing

Visit site
Check out the modes. Every which way .

MAN Smart HYBRID Experience with up to 2,500 hp

Also “ECA “ s ………Emission Control Areas . Yup we thought weed and or seahorses restriction where a impingement .Well how about in the near future this bay ( even whole island ) is a ECA ?

The direction of travel in bigger boats .
I don’t get it. You can achieve the same thing with a clutch and motor on the drive shaft, by installing a high capacity efficient auxiliary alternator and by upgrading the batteries. The advantages gained are minimal, so that’s why no one bothers and they won’t with this either. This is not like a car where there is considerable energy to be regenerated from deceleration. I don’t think they will sell many.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Dirty diesels?

I'd like to point them to the pristine waters of Conwy chock a block full of dirty diesels. So dirty it has world renown mussel farming beneath us, blue beach certification and of such high quality they are introducing near extinct species of oysters and the like as their best chance of breeding and developing a healthy population to reintroduce elsewhere. All this when you have the pristine waters of Anglesey and the Menai nearby. Dirty diesel my two buttock cheeks. Hysteric backlash more like.

Edit Boats have negligible impact. The problems with coastal cleanliness is almost wholly down to agricultural wash off and sewage dumping.
Which bit of my post #34 did you not get ?
The last bit I said this …….it’s all about Greta and carbon emissions.That’s the driver not wild life .

“In the global carbon scheme leisure boating is a none event , tiny fraction of a % .How ever it’s the social conscience thats going to trigger the “ e “ boat hybridisation proliferation.Yes it will be miniaturised down by the rest of the field of marine engine manufacturers .

Politically electable governments will facilitate this as a creation of ECA s will be a vote winner .“

Portofino

Visit site
CA0F39D4-9AB3-4AC1-A743-D9434DF0C920.jpeg
Sales of theses “e” boats make this less likely in the buyers mind .

They can tell friends at N London dinner parties “ our boats a hybrid e boat “

That wild fire has nothing to do with me .

BruceK

Visit site
Which bit of my post #34 did you not get ?

Dont be so vain. I dont read every diatribe of yours, I just made a rebuttal of the concept that boats were the culprits for dirty harbours and estuaries. That we were a undeserving soft target and not a rebuttal of anything you may or may not have said which I tbh gloss over.

Portofino

Visit site
Dont be so vain. I dont read every diatribe of yours, I just made a rebuttal of the concept that boats were the culprits for dirty harbours and estuaries. That we were a undeserving soft target and not a rebuttal of anything you may or may not have said which I tbh gloss over.
Here you are again running another thread . Off on your tangent .
Who said , introduced the marina shell bit ?
This has little to do with marine life .The pic I posted is fire we are told by Greta et al , it’s all due to ( in a roundabout way ) to excess carbon emissions .
Thats the “ dirty diesel “ tag not some marine shells .
As you say the marine estuary biodiversity destruction is well understood , from farmlands etc not the few leisure boats dotted about .
Nothing to see with the hybridisation creep and direction of marine leisure power options about to be unleashed on the market .
A receptive market I bet awaiting a green nod .

It’s all about carbon footprint perception.I choose perception carefully .This may be differ from reality.

BruceK

Visit site
English is obviously not your first language but let me reiterate, I wasnt responding to you. I wasnt even reading your drivel. I can normally get the gist from the first few words and length of diatribe.

Bouba

Visit site
It’s not the Lounge guys. This is our shop window into the wonderful world of boating. Don’t let everyone know what it’s really like....

prinex

Visit site
This electric powered boat has a range of 50nm at 20 knots.

Candela C-7 - Candela

On the website they have a picture of San Francisco with a 50m radius circle on top, bit cheesy move as it implies every marina you arrive will have recharge stations etc. Once you factor in that you need to come back and you want a bit of margin you effective range goes down to maybe 15-18 miles. But I can see how in Switzerland where they have lakes (no waves) and money this could be a nice toy.

prinex

Visit site
Actually why they dont we have diesel motor boats with hydrofoil ? The efficiency here is not the electric engine but the hydrofoil, due to the much higher energy density of diesel it should be possible to have a 50 foot with hydrofoil with much smaller engines (and maybe a electric boost to get the hull out of the water if needed).

Or is the usual complexity, moving parts in the water etc which would also apply to the Candela.

vas

Visit site
with the usage patterns of typical mobos, it's fair to expect it NOT to be able to lift if left for a month or two stationary.
The diver that cleans my boat once a year or so, is cleaning the foils, shafts and props of the resident hydrofoil liner every fortnight. If not, thing wont be able to rise. that's what he told me, no reason he'd lie to me.

prinex

Visit site
with the usage patterns of typical mobos, it's fair to expect it NOT to be able to lift if left for a month or two stationary.

True but this is also valid for the Candela. I mean all things being the same beside the diesel vs electric engine the Candela will have the same issues. There are solution to keep a boat that size dry while at dock (involving submerged pontoons and air and all) but it looks all a bit silly to me.

Bouba

Visit site
As I’ve said before, when Elon Musk finally gets his electric big trucks to market then we will have a ready made solution for boats.
And when marinas start installing Elon Musk’s storage batteries and chargers we will have a practical electric boating experience.
So, not for a long time....