Lewmar VX2 vertical windlass

mainsail1

Visit site
I had one installed earlier this year by Hamble yacht services to replace an old Lewmar vertical windlass. The chain keeps jamming both on down and up ( nope it is not twisted). Anyone else had a problem??

Neeves

Visit site
A quick and maybe instant answer is to look at the invoice. The invoice should (or might) define the specification of the gypsy, DIN or ISO. If they are cowboys this information will be missing but all gypsies are marked by reputable manufactures as to the chain for which they are designed. You might need to take the gypsy off, its is usually easy, check the servicing directions, The specification for the gypsy is cast or engraved into one or both of the gypsy discs. For your chain check Vyv Cox's website - he has the dimensions for both specifications - its just a very simple question of measuring link size.

The specification for your chain should also be embossed into the links - unless you have nefarious Chinese chain (which is commonly very good quality) but for some obscure reason they appear reluctant to emboss the chain with its Grade, G30 or G40, size and spec (ISO or DIN) - nor are they sufficiently proud to define the manufacturer - (there's nowt as queer as folk). Not necessarily every link is marked - you may need to search a good few links (and there may be no marks). If the chain isn old you may have worn the marks off - look at the bitter end, less wear.

If you kept the old windlass you could check its gypsy size.

If you bought the chain originally the specification should be on the invoice.

Gypsies are extortionate and as you advise you told the installer that the chain was 10mm and they said they would check - if you have the wrong gypsy you should receicve the correct one - Free of Charge!

Let us know the outcome and if you feel you are being screwed you can name and shame the dealer/installer.

If you find Vyv's website invaluable - you could also buy his book :) - or is this SPAM.

Jonathan

Shuggy

Visit site
Beaten to it... I replaced my windlass a couple of weeks ago and discovered I had DIN chain by measuring it.

mainsail1

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am looking into the possibility of the wrong sized gypsy. As some will know Lewmar now make the gypsy of some kind of plastic which is a disappointment to me. It used to be metal which seemed more robust.

mainsail1

Visit site
I have now measured the chain and the gypsy is the correct size.
Lewmar boast in their advertising that they have redesigned this windlass.......well they seem to have made it into a heap of expensive junk!.

mainsail1

Visit site
I took the boat to Hamble to meet the Lewmar man. At first he was baffled by the problem but then he got a mate to bring the wrong gypsy down from the office. The "wrong" gypsy is a 10mm DIN and he fitted it.
Well, for some reason it worked and it appears that the windlass does not jam the chain now.
I have measured the chain myself with a vernier gauge and agree with the yard that it is 10mm ISO. The Lewmar man could not explain why the smaller DIN gypsy worked on what should be larger chain.

Last edited: