Is there a real shortage of secondhand boats?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I would have thought that any apparent shortage in supply is a result of sellers waiting till they can tart them up and buyers can come and see them, as opposed to a sudden influx of buyers napping everything up.
What was on the market prior has by now mainly been bought as there are not much alternatives available.

That seems the most plausible explanation.

Bajansailor

Visit site
I did a search on Yachtworld for sailing yachts in the Caribbean under 40', and built before 2010, and 107 boats 'came up' - a very motley range indeed!
Nine of them are listed as 'Sale pending'.

(Sail) Boats For Sale
You can easily modify the search to include additional or different constraints as required.

Edit - I just did another search, and removed all the constraints - just sailing yachts in the Caribbean - and 731 yachts came up, with the largest (and most expensive) being the 141' Grand Banks schooner 'Columbia' in Antigua with an asking price of GBP 10 million.
(Sail) Boats For Sale

However I appreciate that it is difficult for folk in Europe to view boats out here now, and I cannot see the situation getting better any time soon.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Maybe not everyone's taste, but <1984 boats avoid all the VAT trouble.
No it does not. If you import into the UK (or from the UK to the EU) you have to pay VAT on the current value. The pre 1985 stuff is irrelevant as VAT is a tax on a transaction and importing a boat is a "chargeable event" in the VAT rules jargon.

Only virtue of (most) old boats is that they are low value so VAT is less money, but still 20% plus.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
No it does not. If you import into the UK (or from the UK to the EU) you have to pay VAT on the current value. The pre 1985 stuff is irrelevant as VAT is a tax on a transaction and importing a boat is a "chargeable event" in the VAT rules jargon.

Only virtue of (most) old boats is that they are low value so VAT is less money, but still 20% plus.

Should I choose to return to the UK (and bring my 1977 boat with me), no VAT would be due.
And I have that in an e-mail from HMRC.

Adios

Visit site
Should I choose to return to the UK (and bring my 1977 boat with me), no VAT would be due.
Is the difference that its already your boat? Did they ask for proof that you already owned it?

I wonder who would notice if you bought a boat in the EU and sailed it back and just used it. And who would notice if you sell it privately that it wasn't always in the UK? I guess it might arise if nervous buyers start requiring proof of vat status. I the highly unlikely event someone boards looking for drugs etc are they interested in the vat status? They'll probably assume you're coming back on a round trip and not even ask. Will be funny if smugglers evading the vat man now do it with an empty boat.

Bobc

Visit site
As most of you know, I'm a Bavaria owner and am also quite involved in the Owners Association, and I have seen a significant tightening-up of used Bavarias available. Not too many years ago, someone looking for a popular sized Bavaria (32-38ft) might have had the choice of 5-10 boats at any time in the UK. Now they either seem to have only 1 or 2 to choose between, and I now regularly see wanted adverts appearing, even for the bigger ones (44, 46, 49, 50). So I would say that it has definitely gone from a buyers market to a sellers market.

TernVI

Visit site
It's always been the case that people re-locating back to the UK have been able to bring some possessions with them.
Cars, furniture, art, antiques....
Very different from just importing the goods.

Zing

Visit site
There’s a dramatic reduction of for sale stock. By about 2/3 by my reckoning compared to 2010 when I last bought. Prices are now 10% higher than back then for the same boats, but they are 11 years older.

God bless the money tree.

Tranona

Visit site
What relief are you claiming?

There is nothing about age of boat in the VAT rules - but quite a bit about reliefs, but age of boat is still not relevant. Helpful if you could explain specific circumstance that HMRC have advised on.

Bobc

Visit site
There’s a dramatic reduction of for sale stock. By about 2/3 by my reckoning compared to 2010 when I last bought. Prices are now 10% higher than back then for the same boats, but they are 11 years older.

God bless the money tree.
I agree. I put the insured value of my boat up by about 10% last year, as the ones for sale were about that much more expensive than they were 10 years ago.

Tranona

Visit site
Yes. Boats like mine are changing hands at over 80% of what they cost new in 2015, maybe influenced by an equivalent new being about 40% higher than I paid!

D

Deleted member 36384

I follow Rival boat stuff. Anecdotally sales of second hand Rivals are very rapid. Recently, an unseen Rival on a mooring that the owner advertised as unattended for 2 years, “sold as seen”, was bought in a bidding match on eBay. The price was low but others have also sold rapidly as well suggesting that demand is healthy, even at the lower price range for sound hulls. I believe the boat on eBay was bought by a European for £6400, Rival 32.

Adios

Visit site
I'm starting to wonder if Brexit might have come just in time to save all our boats disappearing abroad

Aardee

Visit site
A couple of weeks ago the broker I bought Grace May from 2 years ago called me out of the blue to ask if I was interested in selling. Not upgrading, just selling as he was so short of stock. A friend is looking to but a yacht around 35' and he's really struggling to find anything, which certainly wasn't the case pre-Covid & "the B word"

Adios

Visit site
A couple of weeks ago the broker I bought Grace May from 2 years ago called me out of the blue to ask if I was interested in selling. Not upgrading, just selling as he was so short of stock. A friend is looking to but a yacht around 35' and he's really struggling to find anything, which certainly wasn't the case pre-Covid & "the B word"
It makes sense that there is no stock now. Buyers have nothing better to do that shop which they can still do online, I presume surveyors can still work? while sellers haven't been able to do any of the things needed before putting them up for sale so haven't. Most boats sell in spring and autumn, I guess this springs boat exchanging will just be delayed and compacted into a period just after the lockdown is lifted.

Hermit

Visit site
I have just put my boat on the market. We were thinking of upgrading in a few years to something a bit more 'long-distanceable' than our 34' Feeling. But, after seeing something we like, the broker almost bit my hand off to list mine as he has a real shortage of boats but plenty of people looking to buy.

Last week he sold a First 345 at about £25k unseeen by the buyer. Basically, subject to survey and a final check she floats and engine works when launched as soon as allowed. He had about 4 or 5 other very interested buyers (who he will now direct to mine hopefully!)

mrming

instagram.com
As above I sold our trailer sailer, but we also bought it’s 32 foot replacement during lockdown. Brokers and surveyors can still work. I viewed around 6 boats remotely via video calls and ultimately purchased one which needed a few jobs doing at a good price. I then got her into a nearby yard to have the work done. When it’s allowed I’ll sail her round the corner to home. In my case we were upgrading for this summer anyway, but it’s likely the possibility of a boat for UK based holidays this summer could also be heating up the market a lot.