Is there a meteorologist in the house?

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Since we are performing one of the biggest experiments of modern history, the question becomes pertinent.
What is the effect on weather from so little flights?

Discounting all other environmental factors like the reduction of particulates in the atmosphere, 9/11 has shown that the reduction of contrails has an immediate effect on temperature with a difference of 2 degrees being measured.

The question now is, since a large number of planes are grounded all over the world what effects can be predicted or anticipated and how it will affect the weather short and long term???

9/11 saw flights grounded over the USA for 2 days and Canada for 3.
We have now most carriers with an at best minimal flight schedule for over a week and without end in sight.

So...Is there a meteorologist in the house?

Last edited:

BrendanS

Visit site
Since we are performing one of the biggest experiments of modern history, the question becomes pertinent.
What is the effect on weather from so little flights?

Discounting all other environmental factors like the reduction of particulates in the atmosphere, 9/11 has shown that the reduction of contrails has an immediate effect on temperature with a difference of 2 degrees being measured.

The question now is, since a large number of planes are grounded all over the world what effects can be predicted or anticipated and how it will affect the weather short and long term???

So...Is there a meteorologist in the house?
Yes, Frank
https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?forums/climate-change.102/

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site

Yes, those are indeed interesting but my interest and curiosity is not on pollution in the atmosphere but disruption to the weather patterns by the lack of contrails in the upper atmosphere and the difference in temperatures that comes with it.
9/11 cause some minor changes to weather patterns, now we have a prolonged period of contrail reduction and I’m wondering to what extent can that alter the weather patterns and if it continues, if previous models for the long term will be accurate. Lower temperatures of 2 degrees is a very big change.

matt1

Visit site
A study was done after the ashcloud (longer than 9/11) and I recall it concluded the weather had been much better in the UK due to less clouds being seeded from vapour trails. I was stuck in Vegas the whole time but folks back home told me it was stunning wall to wall cloudless weather in the UK