Irish paddleboarders swept into Atlantic survive by clinging to lobster buoy

Quandary

Visit site
The hero here is the fisherman who found them, he claimed that knowing when they had set adfrift he was able to go to where they were found using his knowledge of he tides, well done!
Some real curmudgeons here, a warm day, a bit of fun on the water and they made a mistake, not everyone is a marine genius?

Slowtack

Visit site
I stand corrected.............one of the young ladies stated today that she always brought her phone when paddleboarding.................except that one time.

Slowtack

Visit site
The hero here is the fisherman who found them, he claimed that knowing when they had set adfrift he was able to go to where they were found using his knowledge of he tides, well done!
Some real curmudgeons here, a warm day, a bit of fun on the water and they made a mistake, not everyone is a marine genius?
I would agree..........the rescuers are deserving of high praise. Also praiseworthy are the two young ladies..............its how they dealt with the problem once offshore thats deserving of praise. Kept their heads, tied the boards together, stayed calm through a night of thunder, lightning and rain, didnt exhaust themselves in fruitless paddling, tied to a buoy, awaited rescue.

prv

Visit site
Mobile phone on a paddleboard
??? would you carry one on a sufboard or windsurfer?

I always take my phone out on my paddleboard. To take photos, to contact others I may be meeting up with, to check on the tide, to buy an icecream, potentially to make a “minor” call for help (like ending up ashore away from my car, calling a friend to give me a lift back), and yes, if necessary to make a distress call to the coastguard. I know in this part of the world I’m not going to be anywhere without signal.

I don’t blame these girls for not having one, though. As Dom says, they only expected to go for a gentle paddle a little way off the beach. And the notion that they should have been equipped for offshore work with PLBs and suchlike is clearly nonsense.

Pete

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Are there any ropes on a Paddle Board then ? so they could tie onto a Pot as they floated by ; think that there are straps so good on the Girls for doing that, yea going out as darkness arrives is not a good idea

prv

Visit site
I take about twenty feet of paracord on mine in case I want to tie up to a pub jetty or something, but worst case you’d have the leash that normally attaches the board to your ankle to ensure it doesn’t blow away if you fall off.

Pete

Achosenman

Visit site
I always take my phone out on my paddleboard. To take photos, to contact others I may be meeting up with, to check on the tide, to buy an icecream, potentially to make a “minor” call for help (like ending up ashore away from my car, calling a friend to give me a lift back), and yes, if necessary to make a distress call to the coastguard. I know in this part of the world I’m not going to be anywhere without signal.

I don’t blame these girls for not having one, though. As Dom says, they only expected to go for a gentle paddle a little way off the beach. And the notion that they should have been equipped for offshore work with PLBs and suchlike is clearly nonsense.

Pete
Any body of water is potentially dangerous as demonstrated in the Solent by the sad events recently. I used to carry my mobile whenever I used to go out on a jetski. (standup) They didn't have PLB’s back then so a phone in a bag was it. I accept I’m in the minority, but then my crew wear life jackets, they get a full safety brief when they first join the boat, we carry flares and a life-raft...all serviced and in date...it will never do?

I think what we have is a demonstration of the differing attitudes about personal responsibility to safety. I have spent my lifetime doing potentially dangerous things on land and water. So far, I’ve never needed rescuing. I’ve instigated plan “B” on one or two occasions and that has reinforced the notion that self rescue is the default. Going equipped to call for help is not hard, not expensive and just might be the best choice you ever make. Normally you never see a young person not holding a phone, texting or taking selfies...

RupertW

Visit site
Your botinf
Any body of water is potentially dangerous as demonstrated in the Solent by the sad events recently. I used to carry my mobile whenever I used to go out on a jetski. (standup) They didn't have PLB’s back then so a phone in a bag was it. I accept I’m in the minority, but then my crew wear life jackets, they get a full safety brief when they first join the boat, we carry flares and a life-raft...all serviced and in date...it will never do?

I think what we have is a demonstration of the differing attitudes about personal responsibility to safety. I have spent my lifetime doing potentially dangerous things on land and water. So far, I’ve never needed rescuing. I’ve instigated plan “B” on one or two occasions and that has reinforced the notion that self rescue is the default. Going equipped to call for help is not hard, not expensive and just might be the best choice you ever make. Normally you never see a young person not holding a phone, texting or taking selfies...
Your boating sounds a bit grim. I’d give up sailing if had had to wear a life jacket or harness except in extreme conditions or at night. Agree with the safety briefing though - mine consists of “Only two things can kill you on a boat, getting your head in the way of the boom and falling overboard. Everything else I will show you as we go along”.

dom

Visit site
They didn't have PLB’s back then so a phone in a bag was it. I accept I’m in the minority, but then my crew wear life jackets, they get a full safety brief when they first join the boat, we carry flares and a life-raft...all serviced and in date...it will never do?

Once they’ve fitted liferafts to their paddle boards , a harpoon gun might be a sensible addition in case they meet Jaws? :rolleyes:

No wait, wasn’t it a fire extinguisher and a revolver? ;)

Achosenman

Visit site
Your botinf

Your boating sounds a bit grim. I’d give up sailing if had had to wear a life jacket or harness except in extreme conditions or at night. Agree with the safety briefing though - mine consists of “Only two things can kill you on a boat, getting your head in the way of the boom and falling overboard. Everything else I will show you as we go along”.

That's your choice. As for grim, I'm sure you are trolling for a rise, so I will ignore it.

Achosenman

Visit site
Once they’ve fitted liferafts to their paddle boards , a harpoon gun might be a sensible addition in case they meet Jaws? :rolleyes:

No wait, wasn’t it a fire extinguisher and a revolver? ;)

I've dived many times with sharks. I've never found the need for anything other than a camera. ?

FairweatherDave

Visit site
I think these people have done loads of SUPers a big favour.....well I hope they have. The sheer number of SUPers now on the water must have a significant percentage who simply don't appreciate the risks of an off shore wind. I hope the word spreads. Many people see no difference between a nice flat sea with no wind and a nice flat sea with no wind (except 100 yards offshore there seems to be a ripple...).

dom

Visit site
I think these people have done loads of SUPers a big favour.....well I hope they have. The sheer number of SUPers now on the water must have a significant percentage who simply don't appreciate the risks of an off shore wind. I hope the word spreads. Many people see no difference between a nice flat sea with no wind and a nice flat sea with no wind (except 100 yards offshore there seems to be a ripple...).

Having been involved in the scoop-up end of the business, I’d have hit a double-like icon if it was available. ??

dom

Visit site
I've dived many times with sharks. I've never found the need for anything other than a camera. ?

So have I, managed recreational dives with certain shark breeds, sure, with others no friggin chance !!

If you outsourced safety to a reputable company all is good; without that, be really careful!

Few nasty paddle boarder eating sharks off the West Coast of Ireland mind :)