Inverter advice

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I would suggest you tell Victron and Sterling that their products are not suitable because they have plugs and see what their replies are :)

Datasheet-Phoenix-Inverter-VE.Direct-250VA-1200VA-EN.pdf (sunshinesolar.co.uk)
Pro Power SB Pure Sine Wave Inverters | Sterling Power Products (sterling-power.com)

I would suggest, with respect, that you pay attention. First, you might want to re-read post #18

Once you have done so, you can read the Victron installation instructions, in particular,
The AC output is isolated from the DC input and the chassis. Local regulations may require a true neutral. In this case one of the AC output wires must be connected to the chassis, and the chassis must be connected to a reliable ground: see appendix A

You can also take a look at the Sterling installation instructions, in particular:
Neutral earth bonding. All of these inverters are neutral earth bonded.This is where the neutral is tied to the earth terminal giving 230V across the live and neutral (more in keeping with the actual mains configuration) but also 230V from live to earth. This allows an RCD to safely operate and conform with hard wire installation requirements on vehicles and boats.

So rather than me contacting Victron and Sterling, you might like to do so, quoting this thread. Although, that seems pretty pointless, as they have both already confirmed that what i have said above is correct.

FYI the coloured highlighting is mine.

Reactions: pvb

scr0che

Visit site
Hi,

I'm in need of a little more advice on the inverter install.

I have a Victron Phoenix Inverter Smart 2000VA - 12v, with remote Phoenix Inverter Control on/off switch. Looking at the manual and a wiring diagram here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...nverter-Smart-1600-5000-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE.pdf
https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...charger-12-50-1-inverter-375W-MPPT-100-30.pdf

1) Earthing - installation manual states the 'chassis of the product must be connected to ground, to the frame (of a vehicle) or the ground plate or hull (of a boat)'.
I'm unclear as to what to connect to what. Wiring diagram suggests chassis earth should go to negative bus - which is in turn connected to boat ground? Does that
sound correct? Which size cable should I use, central negative bus is ~1m away? I'm also unsure of what it means in appendix B when it states 'floating output',
and if that is relevant for me?

2) Are circuit breakers needed between my radial circuit (2 outlets) and the inverter? Any advice on which one/where to buy? I can see from the wiring diagram it does
suggest at least one is needed?

3) Battery connection - just confirming negative should go to my 500A shunt? Positive - see next questions re fusing and isolator!

4) Isolator switch between the inverter and battery - my intention is to provide the inverter with it's own isolator switch (300A?) before it goes on to an existing ANL
fuse (the fuse then has a cable on to the battery), currently 200A which will need to be upgraded to a 300A fuse. Does thus sound correct?

5) Fusing - the manual recommends a 300A, does this need to be a special type or is an ANL 300A one suitable? As above, I assume I can connect the islolator to the
existing fuse coming from the battery?

6) As per the manual, I'll need to use 70mm cabling. Currently the cable from my ANL fuse to the battery is 35mm. Should this be replaced with 70mm? Since the cable
from the fuse (via the isolator) will be 70mm?

Thanks for any advice, I'm a very competent and confident DIY'er, just need confirmation and a few pointers to learn how to do this safely and correctly.

Steve...