hydraulic steering - what oil?

dalex

Visit site
Apologies in advance for the dull post.
What do you folks pour into the helm pumps?
Do you ever check the level?
Mine are Teleflex-Morse Seastar 1's. The website quotes aviation hydraulic oil but I dont recall seeing that stuff anywhere in the uk.
The website says an alternative is Dexron 2 but says steering performance will be impaired if you use this. They also say that in an emergency, any non-toxic, non-volatile fluid can be used.
What are your thoughts on this please?

DoubleVision

Visit site
I have a Seastar system and use normal automotive automatic transmission fluid. If its good enough for the power steering and gearbox in my car its good enough for the boat I recon. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

pheran

Visit site
Not a very scientific answer but in all the boats I have had, the hydraulic fluid has been either red or white. I just establish which and top up with a drop of the same. Shouldn't need to do so often - a drop in level usually indicates a leak somewhere in the system.

andyball

Visit site
atf will work - you may find the steering a little heavier than it should be. Depends what viscosity fluid the makers recommend . Vetus specify 22 for example, whereas I think atf is typically 35'ish.

My vetus system runs fine w/atf - altho in really cold periods it's slightly noticeable that a lighter weight'd be better praps.

John_d_Smith

Visit site
Mine uses Hydraulic oil which is clear and is described on the can as type 15, not sure if this means 15cst but it's definately not ATF in mine.

dalex

Visit site
Thanks all for your thoughts. I never thought to check the colour of the oil. The steering does feel a little heavy considering I have power steering. I'll dip the oil and see what the colour it is as it's a bit too far down to see with mk 1 eyeball.
I only thought to check it as the steering seemed a bit different in the number of turns from left to right compared to the opposite direction.