How to mount an aux outboard on a swim platform?

BruceK

Visit site
A regal 1950 lsc

Yes you could but the OP's boat is significantly bigger, i.e. significantly heavier by a factor of 4 plus but most importantly he has a lot of windage whereas you will have hardly any by comparison. Smaller boats are perfectly capable of using an aux. I have used them myself as per below . Not really viable on a sports cruiser at the OP's size and bigger though.
This was an 8 maybe making half throttle before bogging down managing 3 knts against the wind on a 800 kilo boat

diverd

Visit site
Yes, i realise all this, the OP asked how it could be done and i answered his question, the exact product is available, i also struggled to find one for a swim platform and initially made my own, however i found the one i posted a picture of, so, yes that are available and possible. I see some of them can take 20hp, and that will move most things. My last boat was an approx 6 ton yacht, with an 8 hp putboard and 40 hp inboard, it had massive windage but managed to manouver with the outboard, slowly, but once moving it as adequate to move me to safety. I downsized and this is ideal for my needs. It probably would not go against the tide some days and in some places, but in a problem it would be quite adequate to go with the tide to a place of safety, and this is what i was wanting. I dont know the OP's situation, perhaps it is similar.

BruceK

Visit site
The question of moving the OP's boat I already agreed to. A small OB would push it to some degree, you only have to lean on a boat to move it. That's not the problem, the problem is to have the torque to make adjustments quickly or you just have an uncontrolled moving mass still at the mercy of the prevailing elements. A yach is another beast altogether because you have a keel and rudder to maintain directional control. The two are no way comparable

diverd

Visit site
Yes, i realise all this, this is the smallest boat i have owned, and i have had boats for the last 40 years. I was simply answering the question, the exact product he is looking for is available. I dont know where or how it will be used, not looking for an arguement i was simply trying to be helpful.

BruceK

Visit site
Sorry, not trying to be argumentative myself. Just discussing for the OP's benefit so he can make a balanced and informed choice

simonfraser

Visit site
yard my boat is in is v happy to supply and service an aux OB
however speaking to their mechanics they recon you'do better looking after the main engine

uh, BruceK made the same point !