French canal maintenance

Goodroaming

Visit site
Hi All,
Some may have seen this on noonsite earlier but I thought I would provide a link. The article discusses the canal conditions from one sailor’s perspective. Perhaps others have different experiences. I had hoped, optimistically that the vnf might use the time for improvements and repair. I really should also join the DBA to see if there is some discussion there too….

France: Navigating the Canals and Rivers in a Small Yacht | Noonsite

@Grehan

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Inaccurate and misleading. I suspect Mr French had not done his homework before embarking on the 'Bourbonnais' route/passage. 1.6m draft (in salt water?) was always going to be near the limit and there is plenty of advice (my own included) that yacht keel type drafts can be problematic - i.e expect problems.
See Canal and River Routes Through France //Options and Timings - "Will I get Through?"
" . . . Can you accept (with equanimity?) making the attempt, but then meeting the insurmountable and having either to turn back or get lifted out and transported? . . . "
He would possibly have fared better taking the 'Champagne' (Saone-Marne-Seine) route as I would also have advised.

chamac

Visit site
I did that route with an Oceanis 400 in 2006. 1.75meters.
At the time word was that it was 2.0 meters due to commercial craft "dredging" it.
Did scrape the bottom around Briare but otherwise it was ok. It was mid summer too.
Unstepped the mast in Port Napoleon and back on in Rouen. Used two timber X's to carry it with us.
Even then commercial barges were scarce on the canal sections.
Overall a fantastic trip. Sad to hear its gone like that.

Goodroaming

Visit site
Inaccurate and misleading. I suspect Mr French had not done his homework before embarking on the 'Bourbonnais' route/passage. 1.6m draft (in salt water?) was always going to be near the limit and there is plenty of advice (my own included) that yacht keel type drafts can be problematic - i.e expect problems.
See Canal and River Routes Through France //Options and Timings - "Will I get Through?"
" . . . Can you accept (with equanimity?) making the attempt, but then meeting the insurmountable and having either to turn back or get lifted out and transported? . . . "
He would possibly have fared better taking the 'Champagne' (Saone-Marne-Seine) route as I would also have advised.
I appreciate you weighing in Grehan. It will be interesting to hear others recent accounts. The writer did sound unprepared. Such a shame- and that it was significant to write it and post it to noonsite. The reports of the weeds do make me nervous (watching all the youtubers going through) as that seems serviceable while the draughts arnt really- except I guess where silt builds. There has been a charming return of wildlife locally where Precovid traffic had scattered them. I hope to hear reports of more birds/fish etc but perhaps that’s too optimistic. Keen to hear more canal experiences. ?

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
I did that route with an Oceanis 400 in 2006. 1.75meters. . . At the time word was that it was 2.0 meters due to commercial craft "dredging" it.
Did scrape the bottom around Briare but otherwise it was ok. It was mid summer too. . . .. Overall a fantastic trip. Sad to hear its gone like that.
Thanks Chamac - I don't get enough info. from folks who are at the limit or beyond, and made it through . . . enjoyably, even!
TBH It's been a 'long time' since 2m was a viable draft for the traditional canals, so the 'word' was dangerously misleading.

NOTE: In the late C19th many canals were re-engineered to provide standardised dimensions including a depth of 2.20m and with locks 39.00m long by 5.20m wide, in order to accommodate barges 38.50m x 5.05m x 1.80m draught (the so-called ‘Freycinet’ standard). Much of the network still offers these dimensions, with the notable exception of the Canal du Midi and some other smaller waterways and locks, which were never enlarged. Many waterways also no longer reliably offer the full 1.80m draught along their length, as maintenance dredging programmes are delayed for lack of funding, or because 1.60m (or even less) is considered sufficient where commercial traffic has disappeared.
From Practical Navigation //Waterway Depths, Heights and Widths -
To go back to Mr French and 1.6m, his Bourbonnais route is indeed one where commercial traffic has disappeared, which is why we recommend the Marne-Saone route where there are still some (albeit very few now) commercials navigating.