Flag etiquette

G

I normally fly a curtesy flag from the starb spreader when cruising in France. I have just joined the CA and I'm not sure if the associotion flag also goes there presumably under the curtesy flag? What about flying a Q flag?

G

Not sure about CA flag, but I would personally fly the CA flag below the courtesy flag. You don't need to fly the Q flag when going from one EEC country to another. You'll need to fly one if you visit the Channel Islands and then your first port of call back to the EEC.

G

CA Bulletin

Welcome to the CA Your are obviously a very new member. If you can get hold of a copy of the bulletin from the end of last year or the beginning of this (sorry I can't remember the exact date) there was a very good article on flag etiquette.

Hint for JJ worth republishing in YM???

G

I personally would not fly any flag under the courtesy flag.
Fly your Cruising flag from the port spreader.
Some South Pacific countries are a little touchy on this. I remember getting into trouble not flying "B" whole refuelling in one country.
Good luck BrianJ

G

A related proble; I am Uk citizen living in Rep. of Ireland. Should I fly a red ensign and Irish curtesy flag in Irish waters and a red ensign only elsewhere?

David

G

As i understand it, it is not your nationality but the country of registration of the boat which dictates which ensign is flown. In UK, for instance, I have been told that technically you are not permitted to fly the red ensign unless you are reistered on the SSR or part 1.

G

Set me wondering...

I don't have any spreaders (unstayed mast) where should I fly my courtesy flag? I thought of hoising it from the masthead to about where the spreaders would be but then I thought it looks as if it's at half mast. Any bright ideas?