First of January coming up

syvictoria

Visit site
Yes, but I cannot copy and paste anything except what I write. I can copy it with my laptop and a mouse which is not available for a few days. I am on a tablet android at the moment which is new to me. However I will describe the path I took to try to answer your question a few minutes ago. Go to British Citizens tab at the left of the opening pages. Select How to apply for residence status. On that page scroll down to about a third of the way down to a paragraph that says "when we have received your application" it will also say "During the time that you are waiting on a decision, you have the same rights as a European Union citizen and can continue to live, work, and study in Sweden" This is as close as I can get without copy and paste to simplify the answer. Note though that this is specific to a British citizen renewal of residency. Also note the wording in this case is for European citizen rights rather than Swedish citizen rights. I can assure you that those words are used further in the application process. Maybe on one of the application pdf's in English. Believe me they are on many pages but there are a lot of them. "A residence permit has the same rights as a zswedish citizen. By implication they also mean European Union citizen.
Sorry for all the words. I am beginning to realise that I have lived abroad for too long and I have lost the ability to write English concisely. Some of you could have said post 38 in half a dozen words. And made sense.

Thank you very much for taking the time.

To aid others, the link is:
How to apply for residence status

When we have received your application
You will receive a certificate that you have submitted an application for residence status. During the time that you are waiting on a decision, you have the same rights as a European Union citizen and can continue to live, work and study in Sweden.

syvictoria

Visit site
My interpretation of the above (#41) is, very regretfully, different I think, at least in this particular context.

Does this mean that you have the same rights as an EU citizen, period? Or does it mean that you have the same rights of an EU citizen whilst in Sweden?

What do others think?

nortada

Visit site
My interpretation of the above (#41) is, very regretfully, different I think, at least in this particular context.

Does this mean that you have the same rights as an EU citizen, period? Or does it mean that you have the same rights of an EU citizen whilst in Sweden?

What do others think?

Drifting back into this discussion, I think ‘it means you have the same rights as an EU citizen, whilst in Sweden’.

Another point, one assumes that this whole matter was covered before 1/1/21, when all Brits were EU Citizens but of course this changed on 1/1/21 when all Brits ceased to be EU Citizens. New game, new balls.

Some Brits retained citizenship in individual EU countries that gave them extensive rights across the EU; just like before 1/1/21.

Other Brits had residency in an EU country that gave them extensive rights in that country but limited residency privileges in the EU overall.

Of course, the majority of Brits are now just third country nationals and like all aliens can spend up to 90 days in 180 in the EU or with a visa longer.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site

What do others think?
It sounds to me more like the second sorry to say .
And if your a brit ( no longer a EU citizen ) in Sweden now it doesn't apply at all .
Correct me but once again Citizen and residency are getting mixed up.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Well it seems you got back to the boat OK. Those saltwater crocodiles are hungry because no fish in the sea. You were alone and the only target for miles. You were lucky. Don't scoff. It is just as easy for a crocidile to nip over from Panama than it is for that twit iwho did it in a 12 foot boat.

Thread drift just to annoy nortada.
We where out yesterday too walking along the beach , probably a few dozen other couples including a few men and women in blue with guns , our excuse was if we got stop that we could exercise but they where more interested in chatting to each other then anything else .
Thank god we in sicily :)

BurnitBlue

Visit site

What do others think?
When you asked for a link or page number from migrationsverket i could not find the phrase under dispute " resident status has the same rights as a Swedish Citizen" but could only find the phrase I sent you (#41). I thought this was because I was using my tablet which was new to me and not my laptop with the convenient mouse. I returned to the migrationsverket later and spent two hours searching for it again but still could not find it. Then the penny dropped. A small print message ar the bottom of the British pages stated that they had been updated on 01-01-2021,

The pages I was using for information were only applicable until 31-12-2020 when UK was effectively still in the EU and I made the mistake of thinking these rules were still good under the WA agreement. Not so, the phrase "residency status gives the same rights as a Swedish Citizen" has been dropped along with a few others. This may appear obvious to others but not to me. After 25 years living in Sweden I was used to believing everything I read on Government sites because they are accurate to the point of nausea. They are always accurate wheras I live in the future they live in the "here and now". I made a big mistake. Sorry.

I apologise to everyone for giving false hope. My mistake. Sweden is in line with the views other posters got from their sources. Residency rules are bound inside the state of residence. Sweden, in my case.

Tony Cross

Visit site
@BurnitBlue - Thanks so much for your efforts.

Whatever an individual's opinion and expectations of Brexit, or how it's successes and failures are judged in the future, one consequence is very clear from day 1. The freedoms of each and every UK national have undeniably been reduced. It's all very sad.
True. As an EU citizen I could vote in local elections in Greece. As a legal resident alien I cannot. Nor can I vote in elections for Greek MEPs. I have never (as an EU citizen) been able to vote in Greek national elections of course.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
When you asked for a link or page number from migrationsverket i could not find the phrase under dispute " resident status has the same rights as a Swedish Citizen" but could only find the phrase I sent you (#41). I thought this was because I was using my tablet which was new to me and not my laptop with the convenient mouse. I returned to the migrationsverket later and spent two hours searching for it again but still could not find it. Then the penny dropped. A small print message ar the bottom of the British pages stated that they had been updated on 01-01-2021,

The pages I was using for information were only applicable until 31-12-2020 when UK was effectively still in the EU and I made the mistake of thinking these rules were still good under the WA agreement. Not so, the phrase "residency status gives the same rights as a Swedish Citizen" has been dropped along with a few others. This may appear obvious to others but not to me. After 25 years living in Sweden I was used to believing everything I read on Government sites because they are accurate to the point of nausea. They are always accurate wheras I live in the future they live in the "here and now". I made a big mistake. Sorry.

I apologise to everyone for giving false hope. My mistake. Sweden is in line with the views other posters got from their sources. Residency rules are bound inside the state of residence. Sweden, in my case.
Good try :) you given us some hope then did a Boris on us and took it all away again :)

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Good try :) you given us some hope then did a Boris on us and took it all away again :)
Sorry again. I was not allowed to vote in the referendum because of my absence from UK for so long, but I did support it and still do despite the hassle in the future. As I believe in Democracy I would also have supported the result if it had gone the other way..

Millions of fellow Brits voted to leave. The fact that is was inconvenient to a minority who own yachts and second homes outside UK, however large, is not important in a black and white, in or out decision. I have two houses and two yachts spread around the EU which will cause me problems. I will just have to get on with it.

atol

Visit site
Going down the citizenship route myself via my mother who is eligible for an eu passport after 8 years of residence,once she has the passport her children should be eligible too,without needing to be a resident or born there

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Going down the citizenship route myself via my mother who is eligible for an eu passport after 8 years of residence,once she has the passport her children should be eligible too,without needing to be a resident or born there
I suppose it depends on the country you wish to join as a citizen. I am extremely nervous of picking up a Swedish citizenship even though I have been a resident for 25 years. Sweden is known for going it's own way whether nuetrality or quaranteen restrictions etc. A very large country with a small population. Despite their hunger for viable immigrants, the population has hardly grown. The tax reach is draconian because of the small population supporting the rail and road infrastructure. Low temperatures wreck the roads and the home and office heating bill is very high.

But that is not my main reason. It is that Sweden is not convinced it was a good move to join the EU. The fact they opted out of the Euro with no plans to join is an indication. It can take 3 years to get citizenship. The EU may survive but maybe not with Sweden as a member. Three years is a long time at their beck and call when either EU could crashes, or Sweden may exit leaving me high and dry.

Then there is tax. No need to dwell on that. A Swedish passport would put me permanently in the firing line. Irish passport would be gold dust being such a short distance to UK and civilization.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Be careful, many EU countries do not consider children over 21 to use a citizen parent a legible reason for citizenship. Unless proven dependency or handicap requiring parental care, of course.

Last edited:

atol

Visit site
Be careful, many EU countries do not consider children over 21 to use parent elegible reason for citizenship. Unless proven dependency or handicap requiring parental care, of course.
thanks ,still looking into it,my son was born in cyprus,another eu country,(not the one in question),which had he got a passport would have made him eligible for national service,so there are down sides

jordanbasset

Visit site
Sadly we decided to sell our boat that we kept in Greece, Brexit (whether you agree with it or not) didn't make it practicable to do what we liked to do. That is spend the summer in Greece and the winter in Spain. Residency was a non starter for us as we never spent more than 183 days in either country, so we took the pragmatic decision to sell the boat. Obviously a sad decision for us the boat sold 2 months ago), but life goes on and many people are a lot worse off than us

• Sad
Reactions: RAI

nortada

Visit site
Sadly we decided to sell our boat that we kept in Greece, Brexit (whether you agree with it or not) didn't make it practicable to do what we liked to do. That is spend the summer in Greece and the winter in Spain. Residency was a non starter for us as we never spent more than 183 days in either country, so we took the pragmatic decision to sell the boat. Obviously a sad decision for us the boat sold 2 months ago), but life goes on and many people are a lot worse off than us

So are you UK bound from here on?

jordanbasset

Visit site
So are you UK bound from here on?
In the future we will hopefully have 3 months in Spain during the winter (on land) and spend some time in various EU countries (as well as others)in the summer, mostly on land. I do not think we will go back to sailing in the UK, we were spoiled with the warm weather and warm seas. So for the future our sailing is likely to be a couple of weeks chartering some where warm

sailaboutvic

Visit site
In the future we will hopefully have 3 months in Spain during the winter (on land) and spend some time in various EU countries (as well as others)in the summer, mostly on land. I do not think we will go back to sailing in the UK, we were spoiled with the warm weather and warm seas. So for the future our sailing is likely to be a couple of weeks chartering some where warm
Well you know where we are

kingfisher

Visit site
Much of the confusion here is because Schengen and Freedom of Movement are not the same.

if you have residency in a Schengen country, you can travel to any other Schengen country unlimited for tourisme or business. BUT schengen does not cover living and working. Living and working is covered by FoM. So a UK resident from Sweden can visit Spain, but he cannot work there: he then needs to apply for a Spanish work permit. He can also not get social security there. He can’t reside there. Different countries have different definition of what makes you “a resident”.