Edward William/Northernreef Insurance - Advice

Resolution

Visit site
Many perfectly reputable companies with a Chinese background or clientele have names like that; it's a different culture.
I was immediately reminded of Hong Kong’s Honest Motors Ltd and, in this context, Sincere Insurance Ltd. Both well established and reputable companies in my day.

c.buck

Visit site
Just to throw a spanner into everyone's negative comments. I've been with Edward William for two years. I've had a claim on my current Ion Group wording through them when we hit something underwater. No issues with a claim all paid out. At the end of the day, that's what I expected and paid my premiums for.

Happy yachting! May 2021 be a better year on the water than this year for you all!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Just to throw a spanner into everyone's negative comments. I've been with Edward William for two years. I've had a claim on my current Ion Group wording through them when we hit something underwater. No issues with a claim all paid out. At the end of the day, that's what I expected and paid my premiums for.

An interesting contrast with your previous posting:

Not sure I trust any insurers as far as I can throw them... used to be with Pantaenius, and then shopped around. Went with a Lloyds backed insurer through Compare Yacht Insurance .com and wouldn't look back! Will be interesting to know what happens to my renewal after brexit, and will be sure to have a look around again.

since neither "Edward WIlliams" nor "Ion Group" (who appear to be based in Costa Rica) seems to have any links with Lloyds.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Intriguing....
To be fair, the forumite does seem to have an interest in boat insurance and it was the sole topic in posts this year until his/her last post today. I imagine boat insurance must just be a special interest and that explains the use of legal terms such as proximate cause in one post. It appears that a particular company must have given good service as their website is mentioned in most posts. Perhaps this website pointed the him/her to Northern Reef.

I wonder why someone with interest in Insurance had a bad experience with Pantaenius but did manage to find a small company with a truly terrible track-record and decide they'd be a good bet.

Last edited:

c.buck

Visit site
Fair comments, as I'm not an expert, just trying to get involved in something I vaguely grasp.

In the interest of shedding (no pun intended) further light, I can also tell you about having a great experience with Fastnet Marine back in 2012 on a shredded mainsail after broaching during Cowes Week. We were pinned down for a good 2 - 3 minutes - they paid out, subject to the excess, on a new for old basis. I think the coverage was with Allianz or Zurich, and was hands down the best cover available, but unfortunately they don't offer their own 'product anymore'. She's now insured with Liberty, who seem great, but can't say I've had a need for it to be tested with a claim.

And my running gear claim after a grounding on the rib perhaps wasn't complex by any stretch of the imagination. A new lower unit and prop on the 80HP outboard hardly broke anyones bank. If it was a lightning strike, with electronics fried, you'd never know if I'd be singing their praises.

I can't comment on Northernreef, they do have a shed load of bad press though, so I'd say steer far clear.