Drinking water

VicS

Visit site
I'm happy to drink water directly from the tank, likewise from my VW campers' tank. Before each time I fill up, I'll have drained the tank completely for peace of mind.
A couple of drops of bleach is sometimes recommended.
It would probably be a different matter if getting water from dodgy sources though.
ITYWF that about 2 cc of a thin domestic bleach per 10 litres of water is about the same as the recommended dose rate using Milton. The water should be fit to drink without unpleasant taste after about 1/2 hour

geem

Visit site
Its interesting how many people are happy to drink water containing bleach. For health reasons this is something we would never do on the boat. I know the dose rate is small but I really dont want to do it. If we had to chlorinate the tank it would be to sterilise it then the contents of the tank would be dumped, refilled, dumped then filled again.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Its interesting how many people are happy to drink water containing bleach. For health reasons this is something we would never do on the boat. I know the dose rate is small but I really dont want to do it. If we had to chlorinate the tank it would be to sterilise it then the contents of the tank would be dumped, refilled, dumped then filled again.
When I recommissioned my last boat after about five years ashore I used Puriclean powder on the tank, just in case. Even after emptying and refilling five times, the water from the tap still made my lips go slightly numb for another tankful. It didn't taste bad, just made my lips go numb.

bobtooke

Visit site
Dosing with supermarket bleach? Please please please don't do that. Most commercial retail sold bleach contains all sorts of other chemicals such as surfactants and perfumes. You wouldn't want to drink Fairy liquid or your wife's Chanel no5 would you?
If you can get a hold of proper freshwater DWi approved Sodium Hypochlorite solution or another Chlorine based and approved product, that's fine to use (at the right levels) but please make sure the tank is clean or it may all be a waste of effort.
Cleanliness is the key. Cleanliness of the supply, loading, storage and pipework systems. Unless your tank and the piped system is free of any contamination or biofilming, dosing with Chlorine alone is unlikely to make it completely safe to drink.

Last edited:

Big John

Visit site
We drink water from the tank, no filters other than the coarse one on the jabsco water pump, but I dose it with Aquasol. Seems to work well. Been using it for over 5 years. We just empty the tank completely each winter.
Highly recommend the Aquasol liquid as this does not leave a chlorinate taste to the water as against the Aquasol tablets and for extra protection we have a jabsco charcoal filter just before the taps. " Jabsco Aqua Filta Complete"