DAME award winner VOLVO PENTA assisted docking

Hurricane

Visit site
Maybe its me but whenever I've watched a pod driven boat docking, there always seems to be a lot of "revs" going on.
Then the boat lurches - not much but it just doesn't seem smooth.

Whilst using shafts, I never put more revs on than the "first position click" on the throttle controller.
The result is really smooth slow control of the boat.

Am I wrong or is the software that is driving the pods too aggressive?

Elessar

Visit site
It’s about the operator H and the mechanics of it rather than the software.
If the operator is skilled at boat handling it is possible to do it smoothly.

But there is no feedback.
And because you have no clue where the legs are, or where they will need to go to do what you are asking next, there is a variable length of time to reaction.

So there is a tendency to overdo the joystick, then back off etc. You’ll see people taking IPS boats sideways making the whole thing rock because of this, or the lurching you describe.

And it’s not about the pods either.
Just dock it like a stern drive boat and click the joystick on to swing the bow or whatever as you would use a bow thruster.
Then when you touch the throttles again the joystick turns off and the throttles get priority.
Click the joystick back on to pin it to the dock if you’re being blown off.

It has its uses. But if the joystick is the only tool in your box you’ll come unstuck.

Last edited:

Switch

Visit site
Like I said earlier, slow deliberate inputs are required, if the boat starts to rock or lurch you're over doing it. In that situation, hands off the joystick for a few moments, let the boat settle, it will soon tell you where it's going (like any boat) then you can react accordingly.

Hurricane

Visit site
It’s about the operator H and the mechanics of it rather than the software.
If the operator is skilled at boat handling it is possible to do it smoothly.

But there is no feedback.
And because you have no clue where the legs are, or where they will need to go to do what you are asking next, there is a variable length of time to reaction.

So there is a tendency to overdo the joystick, then back off etc. You’ll see people taking IPS boats sideways making the whole thing rock because of this, or the lurching you describe.

And it’s not about the pods either.
Just dock it like a stern drive boat and click the joystick on to swing the bow or whatever as you would use a bow thruster.
Then when you touch the throttles again the joystick turns off and the throttles get priority.
Click the joystick back on to pin it to the dock if you’re being blown off.

It has its uses. But if the joystick is the only tool in your box you’ll come unstuck.
This is progress??????

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I agree with all of this joystick malarkey, both pro and con, and especially with @Elessar on the 'don't rely on it' recommendation...! (He knows why :).... ) I'm a newbie to motor boats, got a joystick equipped 44' boat with outdrives. It's perfectly possible to manoeuvre it smoothly with no churning of the water, but you have to be confident that you know what the reaction will be. If you're not, the tendency is to over-do it. So use short clicks of minimal power to make one correction ... wait... another correction... wait... which of course is the right approach with any berthing task. That said, inexperience is sometimes in charge and the easy comfort of the joystick has come to my rescue more than once.

Next boat will be shafts.

Elessar

Visit site
This is progress??????
It allows the unskilled to get on and off the dock in benign conditions. So maybe it is for some.

When I drive my friends boat I can’t say I never use the joystick. Especially as he has no bow thruster. I click it on for a few seconds and turn it off again.

I far prefer the instant feedback of two throttles in my hand.

edit - this came up after scala’s post which I hadn’t seen when posting and he is most definitely NOT in the unskilled category - for the avoidance of doubt that wasn’t aimed at him - I know he can do manoeuvres most can’t without using the joystick.

Newboy6458

Visit site
For those who are keen on using the aircraft fly by wire metaphor, I have very unhappy memories of my unskilled simulator partner struggling in the simulator on my (our?) Airbus conversion course ?????

SC35

Visit site
For those who are keen on using the aircraft fly by wire metaphor, I have very unhappy memories of my unskilled simulator partner struggling in the simulator on my (our?) Airbus conversion course ?????

They are different things.
In an Airbus, you are asking the computer how you'd like to fly the aircraft.
In something like a 737 you are actually flying the plane, MCAS not withstanding.

Newboy6458

Visit site
My point is technology itself is not the answer. Training understanding and operator competence in both normal and failure modes are still a prerequisite.