Chandler in Miami Beach?

G

Thank you to my dear client who requires me to go to Miami Beach next month.

Naturally, my thoughts turned immediately to LOW LOW US prices for boatie products.

So does anyone know of discount marine stores in the Miami Beach area?

TIA

G

There is a Boaters World phone (305)-278-9878 at Colonial Palms Plaza which is on the South Dixie Highway (The 1 South) it is a few miles south of Miami on the road to the Keys. (There is one in Key West (or is it closed now?

West Marine seem to be overtaking BW and they have a store at the intersection of The 1 -where it is called Biscayne Boulevard and NE 163rd street which is the road from the airport to NORTH Miami Beach phone (305) 947-6333 There is another in Westchester and a third in Downtown Miami on the south Dixie Highway not far from Boater's World. They are all in the Greater Miami Yellow Pages. I much prefer West Marine as they are usually operated by real "boaters"

Steve Cronin

G

I drove past WestMarine, I think in Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood last week. The place, (Miami/Fort Lauderdale that is) is absolutely stuffed with boating companies. You should have no trouble with help from Yellow Pages or Web equivalent. From what I gather not all is cheaper though. Take a UK M/O catalogue.

There are chandleries in the marina at South Beach as I remember. Not sure about their prices though. Depending on where else you go, you could be in for a cab ride of between 10 and 20 USD each way, unless you have a car.

80 degrees F with a constant breeze. Good trip!

G

There are 2 BoatUS stores and 3 West Marine stores in the greater Miami area. Their websites have details regarding exact locations and telephone numbers so you can pick the one closest to where you are staying. The websites are: www.westmarine.com and www.boatus.com.

Since you are looking for bargains, don't forget that both BoatUS and Westmarine have price matching policies. This means if an item is listed in a competitor's catalog at a lower price, you can get that item at that lower price. I routinely check catalog prices for larger purchases and get the item at the store closest to me at the lower price of the two. Prices printed privately from a website catalog also will let you get the lower price.

Happy shopping in wonderful warm weather.

G

Whenn you arrive in the USA you can call West Marine toll fee on 1 800 262 8464 and ask them for the phone 3 and address of the store closest (or easiest access)to where you are staying.

They accept Visa, Mastercard, West Marine card (10% off first purchase of over US$200.00 or more), Nevus, American Express and JCB credit cards.

I can hear the cachunk of the credit card.

West Marine also offer internet specials and clear outs so if you are there for a couple days you could possibly get a good deal delivered to you.

I also visited Boaters world and found West Marine had a better selection. The shops do not necessarily stock the whole range but they can get it very quickly if you ask.

"Captain Harry's" seemed best for fishing equipment but carried very very litle in the way of general chandlery.

Try not to overfill your case with bulky items eg lifejackets like I did and have to buy another one.

Let us know how you fared.

G

I`m based in the cayman islands, i use west marine all the time very good service, products and stores you can find them on their web site www.westmarine.com the one on south dixie highway i can recommend I`m not sure whether you can get duty free goods ask them you then fill a form on your way out at US customs and they will return your duty

good shopping

alan

G

A few years ago, I bought a Westerly Conway in Ft. Lauderdale and in the process of outfitting the boat learned that West Marine would discount its already low prices (effectively selling at wholesale through its Port Supply subsidiary) for folks who had just purchased a boat and were planning extensive (read: expensive) upgrades. Don't know if the policy still stands or whether the circumstances apply to you, but thought I'd pass this along, just in case ....

G

Thanks to you all, and thanks thanks to Byron! NM

§

G

Great boats Byron
I also sail a westerly Conway sloop ....love it,also have had mine for 4 years and am going to keep it, they are like hens teeth (hard to find)
Dave
PS we could form a fan club lol.

Dave