Cardiff Bay - Antifoul of Choice

steveej

Visit site
About to get my boat lifted and wondered what Antifoul is recommended by the locals?

I have been using Hempel Performance Cruiser all this season but the boat used to be in Plymouth. Would like to stick with it as the price is reasonable and it should stick better.

Cheers

graham

Visit site
Seems that the black freshwater slime sticks to any antifoul.

If the boat is in regular use I think being out in the saltwater kills of the slime to some extent.

I have seen plenty of people using Hempels in cbyc so it would seem to be popular.

Allan

Visit site
I used to go to one of the then two chandlers in the Cardiff area and ask for their cheapest antifoul. As Graham says, use the boat enough and it will stay reasonably clean. I used one coat all over and another on the bow and keel fronts. I did this every two years, which seemed enough to me. Leaving the boat standing too long in either fresh or salt water will encourage growth. Note that the harbour authority are obsessed with keeping the salinity in the bay as close to zero as possible. It can appear higher up the rivers due to the wash off from the old slagheaps further up the valleys. There used to be outputs from the sensors on the bay authority website.
Allan

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Although not there I use
Islands 44 Plus H Antifouling TBT Hard Ablative Black 1 gal
Store Price: $385.00

X antifoul.jpeg
This is a harder copolymer paint specially produced for powerboats and mega yachts which move quicker through the water and need a paint which ablates at a slower rate, maximizing usage. Not for sale in the USA.
While not for sale in the USA, I don't know if it is allowed in Cardiff Bay.