Calmac vocabulary

oldharry

Visit site
More than half the fleet over 25 years old.... what happened to their rolling investment programme? Small wonder they are having problems with worn out equipment. I am reading that they have not even kept up a proper maintenance programme on some of their older vessels, which seems incredible when they are providing essential 'lifeline' services to the Islands. Makes you wonder how much longer we will see the familiar CalMac colours flying round the Islands?

As for the ''collision with the seabed'... they ran aground! Why cant they admit it? A sad chapter in the History of CalMac.

SaltIre

Visit site

alan_d

Visit site
The use of language to obfuscate true meaning is a curse of our modern age. At least they didn't encounter "buoyancy issues resulting in a negative floatation event".
Yes. I see the government have at a stroke got rid of the curse of health inequalities (by rebranding them as "health disparities").

D

Deleted member 36384

From ferry issues to politics. The Old Forge thread is to be deleted because of the drift from a pub buy out to the politics that allowed the buy out.

You can’t really talk about Calmac issues, beyond a bland statement that a service is unavailable, or alternative transport methods, without encroaching on politics.

As this thread does neither should this not be in the ship forum anyway, as it has nothing to do with sailing?

ctva

Visit site
So, without getting in to banned territory, who is ultimately responsible for the non-functionality of the mobile road replacement network?

afterpegassus

Visit site
Don't worry, the 2 ships at Fergusons will be ready soon.............

It is a debacle. When I first started using CalMac nearly 40 years ago, all the ships in the fleet were built on the Clyde. Now it seems we are incapable of doing that, no wonder they will be looking abroad for the next ones.
I'm sure the Suiliven ( which my neighbour skippered for many years) was built in Norway.
As for the phraseology - well, its hardly confined to Calmac is it?

Humblebee

Visit site
Slight thread drift but...
"The Good Lord made the whole of this land
And all that it contains.
Except of course the Western Isles
And they belong to MacBraynes!"
Sorry, couldn't resist it.

ProMariner

Visit site
Spending so much on wages and bonuses, am surprised they can afford ships too. The solution is simple, increase the subsidy, but get rid of all the pesky expensive accident prone labour intensive ships, what were folk thinking when they moved to islands anyway.