boat insurance for France?

elioti

Visit site
Hi, would like some info about boat insurance for a uk registered boat in France. Phoned various companies and have been told you cannot get basic third party insurance if you boat is in France unless you have a survey? Is there anyone that will insure for this. My Friend has just purchased a colvic watson that is in the canal du midi, and it has not had a survey, and told he cannot get basic third party insurance! Also, i have a nelson 34 that i may want to take to France, is currently in the uk. Without a survey, presume i cannot get insurance either? Understand, for insurance for the value of the boat, but for basic insurance? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

jfm

Visit site
Hi, would like some info about boat insurance for a uk registered boat in France. Phoned various companies and have been told you cannot get basic third party insurance if you boat is in France unless you have a survey? Is there anyone that will insure for this. My Friend has just purchased a colvic watson that is in the canal du midi, and it has not had a survey, and told he cannot get basic third party insurance! Also, i have a nelson 34 that i may want to take to France, is currently in the uk. Without a survey, presume i cannot get insurance either? Understand, for insurance for the value of the boat, but for basic insurance? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Very surprised to hear this. I can understnad survey to check vlaue/condition if you are fully insuring the boat, but not 3rd party risks

I have had UK reg boats in france (med) from 2002 to the present, insured by Pantaenius, and never had a problem or needed a survey. The fact that the boat has been in France rather than UK has never resulted in any special conditions (and the insurance covers me to cruise to other countries anyway)

Good luck

aquapower

Visit site
Most Insurance companys now insist on a survey once the boat is over a certain age, even third party only insurance will require this as there is still a risk to cover and they will want to minimise any posible claims that could be caused by boat not being up to standard.

sychristina

Visit site
pantaenius

You will never have a problem paying Pantaenius. The problem is they have an excellent history of NOT paying claims. Myself included. Eight years of wasted premiums. Nice way to make money. I now know of at least 20 people who have had this /similar experiences with them.

Regards

Jim@sea

Visit site
The days when you could buy a load of rubbish, insure it over the phone for a lot of money and either set fire to it or have it stolen have not yet arrived in France.
I bought a 20 year old boat in France from a Boatyard. I wanted to Insure it (Axa France) the boatyard said that I had to have a survey for 3 things, 1. To prove it exists and 2.The survey gives a valuation. 3. The boat has to be registered so the registration number appears on the survey and then on the insurance. Perhaps it dosent matter if the boat is UK reg or French Reg, they have to put something down.
Its a French thing.
PS> France is also different with Trailers, each trailer has its own Registration Number, not like the UK where you just put the one thats on your towing car.
PPS. You also have to be very careful in France with insurance as it is renewed automatically. Ringing them up an saying that you have sold the boat or brought it back to the UK dosent work (I know I lived there) you have to send a letter (possibly registered) to cancel it.

Last edited:

Croc

Visit site
Sorry to hear so many bad words about Pantenius.... very popular insurer in the Dragon fleet... excellent claims service we found...very straighforward on refund of premiums when I sold a boat in mid year.... oh and they extended cover for racing in Uruguay (from a standard UK and Europe Coastal Waters policy) for UK sailors and boats FOC.
I liked them but they were not competitive for some of the other classes I sail.

bendyone

Visit site
My standard UK insurance covers me keeping my boat in Calais at no extra cost. Had a survey done when I brought the boat and as long as I say with them no further surveys required. In fact the new owner of my old boat took over the insurance without a survey being needed.