Birchwood Challenger 360 - wanted

Rosepetal

Visit site
We looked at one last weekend and we were more impressed with it than most boats we have seen but this one was already under offer. I have looked for the ‘YBW boats for sale and wanted’ but I can’t find anything. Is it no longer available? And if anyone has a 360 please PM me :)

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
There's one on The Yacht Market - it's in Liverpool, maybe that was the one you looked at?
Same one on Yacht World + one in Malaga.
Another one on Apollo Duck in Hampshire.

Rosepetal

Visit site
We saw the one in Hampshire. The one in Liverpool has faults and I don’t know enough about mechanical things to make a judgement call. It’s a long way from us but if it looked a better deal we might go and look at it. And I really wouldn’t know how to buy a boat that isn’t in the uk, it seems an even bigger leap of faith!

Switch

Visit site
I used to own a Birchwood 370 (2004 model). It was well built and a lot of boat for the money. I always liked the look of the 360. Good luck with your search.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Probably best to look at something else similar. Go to any of the brokers sites and put in your top budget and see what comes up. Apollo Duck, Yacht World, Yacht Market, Boatshed.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
We saw the one in Hampshire. The one in Liverpool has faults and I don’t know enough about mechanical things to make a judgement call. It’s a long way from us but if it looked a better deal we might go and look at it. And I really wouldn’t know how to buy a boat that isn’t in the uk, it seems an even bigger leap of faith!
The Princess and Fairline of that age are great boats , Princess 360/388/380/410 or Fairline Corsica/ phantom 37 under 40ft .

oldgit

Visit site
The Princess and Fairline of that age are great boats , Princess 360/388/380/410 or Fairline Corsica/ phantom 37 under 40ft .

+101% ...........................all the above boats feature a solid hull design which has a reputation for seakeeping second to none and of course both the builders mentioned are still in business today.

Rosepetal

Visit site
+101% ...........................all the above boats feature a solid hull design which has a reputation for seakeeping second to none and of course both the builders mentioned are still in business today.
I will take those recommendations seriously. I have looked at the Princess 360 but it seemed so dated but I could feel how solid the build was and, of course the companies are still in business!
I do need an aft cockpit and transom gate for less able family members.

oldgit

Visit site
While not wishing to start fight, there seem to be boats where the most important bits to both designer and buyer are all above the waterline.
There are others to whom the stuff you cannot see, below the waterline, are just as important.

About four years ago a lady wanted a change of boat, they had a Princess 33 flybridge on shafts., they went everywhere in it, boat was used all the time., however they she wanted something a bit more modern and a bit less early 1970s caravan.
They went to look at a very popular swish modern "Melted Ice Cream" boat and the lady instantly fell in love with the blingy shiney shiney interior ankle deep white carpet ............and the deal was done.
This particular boat was not one of the best handling examples of the marque and very difficult to manoeuvre in close confined spaces ie. a marina , due to light construction and windage, the out drives did not help much either .
It got a bit pasting in the MBM review of the time as being a bit tippy and a suggestion that bow thruster might make the boat less of challenge .
First outlay was bow thruster to be able to control the boat when mooring.
The second serious outlay was the replacement of both outdrives shortly afterwards.
After one or two unfortunate engine break downs the couple lost confidence in the boat and it lay unused for some time, Covid has finally convinced them to sell it and call it quits.
Apparently needs work on the outdrives before it can be sold. !