Around Britain: Part 8

sarabande

Visit site
good video and editing as usual, N. You are stirring pangs of regret that I didn't do the same at your age !

Don't forget to take off the bling round the neck if you get caught in a thunderstorm /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (as well as putting your camera, gps, and other electronics in a metal box, to stop them getting fried)

nathanlee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Don't forget to take off the bling round the neck if you get caught in a thunderstorm /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. That necklace was a fiver, I'm not even sure it's actually metal. It has, however, been everywhere with me for the last 2 years. If necklaces could speak... lol

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
It looks like you tiller pilot bracket below the tiller is wobbling slightly relative to the tiller. If so, this will give Sinbad a harder time and will also use more juice. Can you attach it a bit better?

I was sailing a DF1000 a few years ago and the autopilot was all over the place. The cause - backlash in the mechanical connection. After fixing it steered in a straight line.

nathanlee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It looks like you tiller pilot bracket below the tiller is wobbling slightly relative to the tiller. If so, this will give Sinbad a harder time and will also use more juice. Can you attach it a bit better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Long story short, it was 5 inches forward of where it is now (according to instructions), fixed solid, and didn't steer the boat well at all, so I've moved the whole affair back so it has more contorl over the tiller. This seems to have worked, but I've only screwed the bracket on, not, as yet, bolted it. That is on the to do list though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nathanlee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Excellent video. I hope you get your camera fixed.

For your next trip you might want to look at a different method of self steering.

Check this out

http://www.steersman.net

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a plastimo Navik on the boat, I just can't fit it as yet.

panthablue

www.steersman.net
OK - well good luck with the Navik. I will be interested to know how you get on with it. Some people say that some windvane systems do not perform well in high winds conditons, and when sailing directly downwind.
Your round Britain trip could be an excellent oportunity to report on it - perhaps.

jimmynoboat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I dropped my camera from the mast head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind the camera what did you do about the spoon? I need to know! Has anyone ever survived such a critical equipment loss at sea?

nathanlee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dropped my camera from the mast head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind the camera what did you do about the spoon? I need to know! Has anyone ever survived such a critical equipment loss at sea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I should have covered that in more detail. I've been reading the excellent book "storm tactics" recently, but there is no material I could find with a detailed analysis of such severe cutlery loss as I encountered.

I will document my experience here, in the hope that other may be aided should it happen to them.

After the initial realisation that the spoon was gone, I have to admit that I was struck with panic. One can prepare for the extremes of the sea for a lifetime. but until something like this actually happens, I don't believe you can know how you will react. I knew I had to deal with the situation quickly since my sedimented brew was fast become void of heat.

I set about trying to jury rig a spoon, and a first look around the boat lead me to my drogue chute. Realising I wasn't thinking clearly, I dived into the galley locker and pulled out a sponge. I thought that if I soaked up the coffee into the sponge, then rinsed it out back into the cup, this would serve to mix the fluids. I would have probably worked, but I worried that that coffee may become dangerously tepid in the process.

Finally, a moment of clarity struck me. The knife! I could use a butter knife to skull the coffee into a fully dissolved mixture. It worked, and so I then finally felt relaxed enough to close the safety flap on the DSC mayday button.

I have since bought a new spoon, but I would strongly suggest that any person going to sea, should make sure they carry a spare spoon onboard. I hope you never suffer the fear of being forced to use it, but it's foolish to sail without a backup, just in case.

CPD

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I set about trying to jury rig a spoon, and a first look around the boat lead me to my drogue chute. Realising I wasn't thinking clearly, I dived into the galley locker and pulled out a sponge. I thought that if I soaked up the coffee into the sponge, then rinsed it out back into the cup, this would serve to mix the fluids. I would have probably worked, but I worried that that coffee may become dangerously tepid in the process.

[/ QUOTE ]
mmmmmmmm, a solo sailor ..................... Donald Crowhurst ............ mmmmmmmmm

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I have since bought a new spoon, but I would strongly suggest that any person going to sea, should make sure they carry a spare spoon onboard. I hope you never suffer the fear of being forced to use it, but it's foolish to sail without a backup, just in case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put it on a lanyard round your neck or add it to the bling? Just watch out for burns after use /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sr04

Visit site
Once back in the Irish sea Nathan you will find that the spoon becomes surplus to requirements. The short choppy seas as you beat to windward soon evenly distributes the contents of your mug, though not neccessarily in the mug.

Sailing_Matt

Visit site
I've only just discovered your video diary.

Excellent work, nice to have a down to earth account with all embarasing moments which we all do rather than a perfectly executed sail with the bad bits edited. I will have to try a bit of trance music on my next long passage, I can see it goes well.

Kind regards

Matt

nathanlee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I will have to try a bit of trance music on my next long passage, I can see it goes well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Matt, I appreciate that, but I must offer warning on the trance music. The stuff on my videos is 90% home grown and rolled by my own fingers. Off the shelf "dance" doesn't work over videos. The kicks are too prominent.

I only put those tracks on since they are obviously royalty free, unless I sue myself, and I think I only got away with it by the skin of my teeth, if at all. I'd take a leaf out of Dylan Winter's book, and go with that style of music. It suits sailing much, much better.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif