Anyone know these twits?

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I had to read it on Devon Life, as the Wail does not like adblockers.

Looks like the Helm was "looking for trade" as he spotted them, did they issue a mayday? If not why was the ILB launched?

The Exe has a lot of moving sandbars at the moment, suspect they were caught out and landed on one as it is early in the season.

I've no idea who the "saved lives" are, although the Exe is local to me.

awol

Visit site
At what point did they 'have to be rescued'?
Boat runs aground - the water will return within 12 hours at most.
Once you refloat, you return to your mooring/berth.

Just going by the article, I fail to see why a 'rescue' was necessary.
Your "12 hours" can extend to weeks if whoever runs the tides (or is it the sun and moon?) so decrees.

cherod

Visit site
i wonder if they left the boat willingly and or who would take care of the boat when the tide comes back in.

SaltyC

Visit site
If not in danger, leave them there. Film them, publicise and ridicule them, hopefully with no food but some water (Drinking). Yes, I know we can all run aground however the majority may suffer due to the mentality of the 'it doesn't apply to me minority' Or is that too harsh as we are now being threatened with not being allowed out for exercise because of Covidiots?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I recognise the boat but not the owners. I have a mooring not too far away. I can no doubt find out who they are, but that won’t achieve anything. Just a pair of idiots. But did they need rescuing? I doubt it.

wwarw00

Visit site
Did they need rescuing - I don't know for certain but probably "yes".

The reports say they were bouncing off various buoys coming down the Exe. Didn't see that but they were coming down at a lick probably under sail and motor.

They took the unmarked "inshore passage" between Dawlish Warren beach and the Pole Sands i.e. not the marked channel. They did this on a falling tide and then ran aground - with waves breaking around them and F6 gusts predicted that night.. When they ran aground the sails were left flogging for a long time with the genoa looking like it was wrapped around the forestay (the sails didn't come down until the RNLI boarded the boat).

We were about to ring the coastguard. Put yourself in the position of the lifeboat crew who saw all this and tell me this is "touting for business".
If this sounds harsh, then that's because I'm viewing it in the context of "stay at home".

For info, the boast was presumably anchored by the RNLI (or maybe the boat crew) but is in the surf line most of the time and has been dragging its anchor heading eastwards towards Exmouth beach.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Credit to the Wail for coming up with the expression "caught on the ocean floor". First real laugh today.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I heard a Japanese woman on TV talking about looking at the ocean. It sounded very odd; until I realised that of course in Japan it was true.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I heard a Japanese woman on TV talking about looking at the ocean. It sounded very odd; until I realised that of course in Japan it was true.
The Japanese for a sea, うみ (umi) is often used as a synonym for かよう (kayō), which is the word for an ocean. Both mean bodies of water, rather that the wet salty stuff itself which is かいすい (kaisui). At least, that's as far as my Japanese gets me. Happy to be corrected.

cherod

Visit site
Did they need rescuing - I don't know for certain but probably "yes".

The reports say they were bouncing off various buoys coming down the Exe. Didn't see that but they were coming down at a lick probably under sail and motor.

They took the unmarked "inshore passage" between Dawlish Warren beach and the Pole Sands i.e. not the marked channel. They did this on a falling tide and then ran aground - with waves breaking around them and F6 gusts predicted that night.. When they ran aground the sails were left flogging for a long time with the genoa looking like it was wrapped around the forestay (the sails didn't come down until the RNLI boarded the boat).

We were about to ring the coastguard. Put yourself in the position of the lifeboat crew who saw all this and tell me this is "touting for business".
If this sounds harsh, then that's because I'm viewing it in the context of "stay at home".

For info, the boast was presumably anchored by the RNLI (or maybe the boat crew) but is in the surf line most of the time and has been dragging its anchor heading eastwards towards Exmouth beach.
would now not be the time to call for assistance .

johnalison

Visit site
The Japanese for a sea, うみ (umi) is often used as a synonym for かよう (kayō), which is the word for an ocean. Both mean bodies of water, rather that the wet salty stuff itself which is かいすい (kaisui). At least, that's as far as my Japanese gets me. Happy to be corrected.
Ah so.

C08

Visit site
i wonder if they left the boat willingly and or who would take care of the boat when the tide comes back in.
I was once anchored at Aberdaron when a blow was forecast. I moved to the other side of the bay for a bit of shelter and dug the anchor well in, let out all my chain 50M in about 5m depth and fitted a 10mm 30ft snubber. Sat watching the snubber stretching nicely when a lifeboat appeared. Insisted I needed rescue and I go with them, I had quite an argument with them and it ended abruptly when they said if my anchor dragged I would be straight onto the rocks and I noted I was lying nose in to the rocks! I think the problem is the public advise the coastguard about a boat in distress, the lifeboat is called and they are loath to go home with "no lives saved" when they may be under pressure from their bosses to have a result?

cherod

Visit site
recently spoke to some coast guards watching a sail boat make its way comfortably back into harbour after refusing " help " from them, i asked did the skipper call for assistance or did another person call ,, their answere was that it was the skipper him self ,,, later turned out it was not , it was a non sailor from shore . wonder why they said that .