Winter Sailing

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
I always think of that as going up the Wallet. because that's the way the tide flows when it's flooding.

Hope you have a great sail, whichever way is up!

Peter

Now you've confused me even more... maybe I was going sideways :oops:

Anyway, it was a great winters day sail, now in Brightlingsea for the night before heading up, down, right, east tomorrow :ROFLMAO:

johnalison

Visit site
Now you've confused me even more... maybe I was going sideways :oops:

Anyway, it was a great winters day sail, now in Brightlingsea for the night before heading up, down, right, east tomorrow :ROFLMAO:
For me it has always been ‘up to London’ but I know that the temptation to use ‘up north’ is strong. I’m hoping that you mean north-east, unless you are well stocked-up with euros.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Boat comes out next week. I never keep it in over winter. I strip take everything out of it which ensures that next year I can re assess what goes back to avoid unnecessary junk that always accumulates if one is not careful. Every year the cushions are bought home , cleaned & stored , ready for next year. I see little point in leaving the boat in the water. The number of days when it is not blowing a hoolie, not freezing cold & when there is water to get in & out of the marina are pitifully few. I certainly do not want to sail with ice on the decks for starters. Been there done it had the "T" shirt- never again thankyou.

I see little point in leaving running rigging & sails exposed to the elements for such little use. So sails get removed & if necessary I take them to the sailmaker for overhaul along with the covers.

The engine has now been winterised. Fresh water drained off. Batteries charged up.
Once ashore the saildrive oil will be changed & remove the prop for cleaning & anode change.. I will clean the topsides & give it a polish for the winter
All that will be done in the next 2 weeks & there will be only 4-5 days needed to get the boat ready for re launching.
Plenty of jobs to do over the winter at the sailing club & home so it all works well.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
As a Cambridge graduate, it's up to Cambridge and down everywhere else!

I thought you were good with maps :ROFLMAO:

Bit of a fred coming in here tho.
We always say "North Up" on a plotter and radar. North points up to the top on maps and charts, So I guess that's why I always reference north as up and south as down.
Also, the north pole happens to be at the top!

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I thought you were good with maps :ROFLMAO:

Bit of a fred coming in here tho.
We always say "North Up" on a plotter and radar. North points up to the top on maps and charts, So I guess that's why I always reference north as up and south as down.
Also, the north pole happens to be at the top!
And as a Yorkshireman, I say "down South"! South, of course, starts at Sheffield.

And maps of Antarctica are fun this way! The conventional orientation is with the Greenwich meridian up - of course, the South Pole is in the centre, so every direction is North! And if you're at (say) McMurdo station on Ross Island, West Antarctica is East and East Antarctica is West! The more sensible names "Lesser Antarctica" and "Greater Antarctica" are only used by pedants.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
And as a Yorkshireman, I say "down South"! South, of course, starts at Sheffield.

:ROFLMAO:

And maps of Antarctica are fun this way! The conventional orientation is with the Greenwich meridian up - of course, the South Pole is in the centre, so every direction is North! And if you're at (say) McMurdo station on Ross Island, West Antarctica is East and East Antarctica is West! The more sensible names "Lesser Antarctica" and "Greater Antarctica" are only used by pedants.

That hurts my head, turn left.,, which left ? o_O

ex-Gladys

Visit site
For me it has always been ‘up to London’ but I know that the temptation to use ‘up north’ is strong. I’m hoping that you mean north-east, unless you are well stocked-up with euros.
The railways use the terms "Up" and "Down" lines... Up go towards London, Down go away... Other lines are defined in the relevant "Sectional Appendix"...

As for graduates of the Fenland Polytechnic, my learned colleagues from the banks of the Isis know you go up to Oxford....

diverd

Visit site
Mine will stay in the safety of the marina over winter, where its safe and reasonably warm, it has done for many years now. My on land storage is inland north east Scotland, where it gets properly cold, and engine damage is likely, even with good attention to winterising. This year was a disaster, with outbuildings collapsing and lots of general damage, so its safer in the relative warmth of the marina. So it stays in the water till March / April /lockdown ish then its home for a clean up and major service. I have recently bought a small yacht, to add to the powerboat, and it really has to stay in the marina, but the plan is to get the antifoul and anodes redone in spring. Both are basically winterised now, with covers on everything and well battomned down, all mooring lines checked and in some cases doubled. I will visit mopre or less weekly and if we get the right spell of weather i will certainly try to get out for some local sailing or fishing.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Gnomonic?
I would call those specialized; they're for a specific purpose (planning Great Circle routes), and have terrible properties for anything else. The Polar Sterographic projection of the Antarctic chart is a standard for that part of the world, and has pretty sensible properties. It's conformal (i.e. preserves shapes, like Mercator), and actually distorts areas and distances less than Mercator does. But it doesn't have the property of Rhumb lines being straight, that's peculiar to Mercator.

Last edited:

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I would call those specialized; they're for a specific purpose (planning Great Circle routes), and have terrible properties for anything else. The Polar Sterographic projection of the Antarctic chart is a standard for that part of the world, and has pretty sensible properties. It's conformal (i.e. preserves shapes, like Mercator), and actually distorts areas and distances less than Mercator does. But it doesn't have the property of Rhumb lines being straight, that's peculiar to Mercator.
Thank you. In light of your informative expert reply:
I am fairly sure I was asked a question in my YM Theory about the possible uses of gnomonic charts, and one of the supposed purposes of gnomonic projections was for navigation in polar regions, I never quite understood why...(another ostensible use of gnomonic charts given was very large scale harbour charts..again, why?)
I get the Great Circle = straight line on a gnomonic, but am suspicious of the other claimed purposes..probably because I am admittedly A Bear of Very Little Brain when it comes to the esoteric upper echelons of the science of chart projections...and am wading out of my depth..

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Thank you. In light of your informative expert reply:
I am fairly sure I was asked a question in my YM Theory about the possible uses of gnomonic charts, and one of the supposed purposes of gnomonic projections was for navigation in polar regions, I never quite understood why...(another ostensible use of gnomonic charts given was very large scale harbour charts..again, why?)
I get the Great Circle = straight line on a gnomonic, but am suspicious of the other claimed purposes..probably because I am admittedly A Bear of Very Little Brain when it comes to the esoteric upper echelons of the science of chart projections...and am wading out of my depth..
Well, I can certainly state that Gnomonic maps are NOT used for Antarctic mapping, and I can conceive of no reason why they should be, except that they are the simplest polar projection - but have such awful properties that no-one would ever use them! I'd have to look it up to be certain, but I'm pretty sure they are neither conformal (I e. Preserve shape) nor equal area. They distort distance and scale enormously.

The only routine (non-navigational) use of them is in plotting the boundaries of tectonic plates, which are commonly great circles.

I just checked and I was right - it is neither conformal nor equal area.. As these are the two mutually exclusive "useful" properties a projection can have, it pretty much rules out the Gnomonic projection for any normal use. Mercator is conformal.

Couple of definitions:
conformal means that the scale is the same in every direction at any particular point (it may vary from point to point). It basically means that the local shape of objects is preserved.
equal area means that the area of objects is conserved. The well-known (but neither unique nor well-regarded by map-makers) Peter's Projection is such a projection. There are many others far better than the Peter's Projection!

Last edited:

steve yates

Visit site
Bethfran gets launched today, still needs to be wired and am putting a diesel heater in her. Back north to work tomirrow but should get a gap sometime nov or dec to get that done, then new sails will arrive, hopefuly in dec andshe’ll be sailing again from jan finally. That will be 4 years since her last sail and she’ll look like a completely different boat.