Lack of use engine pic .

Portofino

Visit site
24E73AE2-308F-4B3A-B9AB-0B92E6A5D190.jpeg
Thought folks might be interested in this awaiting to start boating ?

This is from another group ( Diesel engine maintenance) it’s a pic of a Yanmar 110 Hp that’s been left on the hard in Greece ( I think ) for 1 1/2 years .Heads been removed because the cylinder corrosion has ceased it , it will not turn over even with breaker bar .....and be careful there as excess force could fracture a ring so the guy has not acted like a gorilla.

Plan is pour a 50/50 mix of ATF / diesel about an inch above each piston and leave to soak a few days .

Now with a 4 T engine you would have thought only the cylinders exposed with open valves would get damp air in ?
Both ends the inlet and exhaust?
Buts it’s got all 4 .

Portofino

Visit site
The brain teaser is how a four pot ended up with that much corrosion in all 4 pots .
For those unfamiliar only two of the cylinders would have valves open , or two would have been fully closed when it stopped .
Was a newish engine btw
Any suggestions ?
There are 2 possibilities btw .

For one possibility Cerebral clue “Bodge flow Tm “.......moot point on here with a few ;)

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
The only use for that now is for an anchor.
It’s got liners apparently and could be re lined + new rings an engine out jobbie .
Some suggest after freeing it up a light rubbing with wire wool or some thing , to remove the surface rust ( and the head not shown ) clean up reassemble....only a new gasket after all then run it .The suggestion is if carefully done you will not damage the honing ? Others are not so sure and hence reline it .

vas

Visit site
dunno but I cannot believe that's due to staying on the hard for 1.5years.
During my rebuilt, both engines (and generator) stayed still, not even cranked for 4yrs. IVECOs fired up on first turn of the key, bloody yanmar always had problems with (air in fuel), finally sorted just this winter...
are you sure they didn't spray seawater instead of diesel before lockdown? :rolleyes:

LBRodders

Visit site
All four ?
Wouldn’t only two be corroded with sea air seeping through either open inlet or open exhaust valves .

No prizes for guessing the state of the turbo .

[Sea] water contamination of lub oil - cooler failure?

Whilst in this instance this is extreme , for me end of season service / winterisation / layup maintenance is a must.

vas

Visit site
[Sea] water contamination of lub oil - cooler failure?

Whilst in this instance this is extreme , for me end of season service / winterisation / layup maintenance is a must.
it's the best bet I recon.
Mind, unless winterisation means change of oil as well, you'd probably miss the oil cooler failure and end up in the same condition 6m later...

LBRodders

Visit site
it's the best bet I recon.
Mind, unless winterisation means change of oil as well, you'd probably miss the oil cooler failure and end up in the same condition 6m later...
If there was water in the oil, I would hope that it was noticeable in a level check.

dpb

Visit site
The brain teaser is how a four pot ended up with that much corrosion in all 4 pots .

I am not at all familiar with these engines, but in other makes a failed 'wet exhaust joint' where the water leaks back into the exhaust manifold could cause this. Leaking into the open valves first but eventually effecting all cylinders. Such a leak could be so small not to be noticed when using the engines regularly prior to storage.
Hard to believe just from damp air entering during storage. I just dismantled a motorcycle engine that had stood in a garden for 12 years with no protection. The insides were fine.

Portofino

Visit site
I am not at all familiar with these engines, but in other makes a failed 'wet exhaust joint' where the water leaks back into the exhaust manifold could cause this. Leaking into the open valves first but eventually effecting all cylinders. Such a leak could be so small not to be noticed when using the engines regularly prior to storage.
Hard to believe just from damp air entering during storage. I just dismantled a motorcycle engine that had stood in a garden for 12 years with no protection. The insides were fine.
Getting warmer but nothing has failed with the Yanmar side .

vas

Visit site
btw, not sure about other's bodgeflow, mine picks up water from the fresh water tank onboard BEFORE the pressostatic pump. So NO pressure, just the hydrostatic of the water (which is lower than the top of the engine in my case)

also difficult to persuade me that an engine with an rubber impeller will allow pressurised water up the block, through the exhaust riser and back down the turbo and exhaust valves (obvs only half in a 4cyl). Unless of course riser vs exhaust exit are so badly designed in this installation in which case it was a failure waiting to happen and nothing to do with fresh water flushing as part of winterisation (if they did that!)

V.