Yacht legs in the Bristol Channel

MikeCalypso

Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, have done some sailing around the Bristol Channel in an Achilles 24. I now have a 30' fin keeler with 1.6m draught. It came with a very good pair of yacht legs. I'm looking for advice on where these could be used in the Bristol Channel - either visitor moorings or anchorages. It would obviously have to be very calm conditions but I'm more interested in where has a suitable sea bed. Would it be possible to use the visitor moorings in Ilfracombe? Dry out in Watermouth or Tenby? Any other spots?

Emmark

Visit site
Not really answering your question but I’m to new to sailing myself with a fin keeler, where are you based?
I’m in Swansea.
I’m looking to do a overnight stay the other side of the Bristol Channel some point this summer.

MikeCalypso

Visit site
Not really answering your question but I’m to new to sailing myself with a fin keeler, where are you based?
I’m in Swansea.
I’m looking to do a overnight stay the other side of the Bristol Channel some point this summer.
Lot of good past threads on where to go. If you don't want to anchor then Watchet is your best bet. Otherwise all the other stops can be good depending on conditions. Get the Blue Book or the Imray Bristol Channel Pilot book for more details.

graham

Visit site
Watermouth is a great place to try out your drying legs especially if you can get right in behind the breakwater.

Minehead also firm sand but its more usual to lean against the wall there.

Make sure you have decent sized feet to spread the weight.one leg sinking in can be a calamity.

MikeCalypso

Visit site
Watermouth is a great place to try out your drying legs especially if you can get right in behind the breakwater.

Minehead also firm sand but its more usual to lean against the wall there.

Make sure you have decent sized feet to spread the weight.one leg sinking in can be a calamity.
Thanks for the tips. Yep I'll give Watermouth a go, been keen to get in there for a while as it looks really pretty.

Birdseye

Visit site
Never had legs but would see them as just a longer version of bilge keels. On which basis you would be OK on the south shore west of Watchet provided the bottom was level in the spot you chose and there was no junk on the sea bed.

The Welsh coast is much more mixed.

In both cases the location must be sheltered - I wouldnt try using the legs on Cardiff Sands!

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Loooooooooong time ago, I visited Ilfracombe in my Four 21. We dried out alongside a classic wood hulled single keeler. The legs looked to be brand new. They also looked like softwood. Ilfracombe then had a thin layer of mud. As the tide dropped, one leg dug, in dug in, dug in until it bent and the boat rolled over onto it. A most harrowing experience to watch and listen to.
The cockpit was open with a very low freeboard. There was an obvious possibility that the rising tide would fill the cockpit before the boat floated.
A whip round in the harbour produced an impressive array of large fenders and small inflatables that did the trick with refloating.
The surveyor, who visited between tides, found no damage.
Lesson learned;- strong legs, preferably slightly splayed, pads on the bottom and choose a landing spot free of mud (ask around before landing).

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Sorry not going to be a great help on the Bristol Channel as have only sailed in that area a couple of times, on a friends bilge Keeler, but I did sail a long Keeler with Yacht Legs on the West Coast of Wales for about 22 years, (Invicta 26) with its home mooring in the drying harbour of Aberaeron in all weathers, (see images) and in that time have moored in various drying harbours including Porthmadog harbour, Cardigan, Solva and Tenby.
If the legs are from the Yacht Leg company then they will meet the criteria suggested by Graham Wright in #7, but don't worry too much about mud as long as the bottom is fairly level, but of course this applies to a bilge Keeler as well.
Looking at the current state of Watchet it may be sensible to avoid the pontoons and go against the harbour wall.

DIDO  - 20.jpgIMG_1349.jpg

Allan

Visit site
Sorry not going to be a great help on the Bristol Channel as have only sailed in that area a couple of times, on a friends bilge Keeler, but I did sail a long Keeler with Yacht Legs on the West Coast of Wales for about 22 years, (Invicta 26) with its home mooring in the drying harbour of Aberaeron in all weathers, (see images) and in that time have moored in various drying harbours including Porthmadog harbour, Cardigan, Solva and Tenby.
If the legs are from the Yacht Leg company then they will meet the criteria suggested by Graham Wright in #7, but don't worry too much about mud as long as the bottom is fairly level, but of course this applies to a bilge Keeler as well.
Looking at the current state of Watchet it may be sensible to avoid the pontoons and go against the harbour wall.

View attachment 159690View attachment 159691
If that's Dido, I think you'll find she may be for sale again soon.
Allan

Praxinoscope

Visit site
If that's Dido, I think you'll find she may be for sale again soon.
Allan
Hi Allan
Yes it was Dido, lovely boat, I saw a photo of her a couple of years ago and she looked a bit sorry for herself.
EC7EF4E0-A220-4C77-A956-3EE9F17B243A.jpeg
Dido in La Caruna a few years before I sold her.

Last edited:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Yacht legs essential in Watermouth and Green Bay (Scilly), and useable in Solva, Ilfracombe, close-in Oxwich Bay, outside Porth Cawl or mid Cardiff Old Harbour, if you dont want to anchor off lean against wall etc. However used Breton style a single leg on outside helps wall leaning without the bother of halliard to quayside.

You will pound to bits in outer harbour at Ilfracombe at half tide, but once you have tamed the surge with 15m springs the inner wall is Ok

Legs are no use in fact possibly dangerous in mud, as not enough area to stop asymmetric sinking in semi solid mud

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Never really had any problems using legs on my Invicta 26 in mud as the long keel tended to stabilise the boat with the legs just adding additional support, But, it's a real pain trying to clean the mud off before bringing the legs on board.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
+1 for yacht leg company legs - I bought mine off a certain v c of this forum and they have enabled me to dry my long keeler out in many spots. Makes up for having to sell my bilge keeler which I thought better suited to the Bristol Channel - but I am now away in better cruising grounds with only Scilly as the common point

Attachments

• IMG_3908 Green Bay -Scilly.JPG
    IMG_3908 Green Bay -Scilly.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 12

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I think that the Yacht Leg Company have unfortunatey ceased to manufacture yacht legs, but I agreewith oldanofthehills #12 they are 'the bees knees'.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Interestingly, numerous boats in Brittany have legs, and they are mostly metal, with wood mainly for classic wooden boats. Although some metal legs seem a bit homemade many are neatly constructed so there must be some cottage industry there. Some of their legs have handy steps built on a bit like mast climbers, but I dont know if any have anything like the wonderful sprocket and pin quick fit system of the yacht company products - I never saw a leg in use with owner on board to make the enquiry