Wightlink St Faith and the River Ouse.

ashtead

Visit site
An interesting design feature of st Faith is when they use the ramps for mizzen decks the weight seems too much so cars all have to back up to reduce the weight so the ramp can be lowered . Still sports the interior beloved of British leyland for retro enthusiasts

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpeg
    IMG_0204.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 14

Baltika_no_9

Visit site
The Faith used to have mezzanine decks (assuming that's what you mean by mizzen). She used to but not now. St Clare still has mezz decks. The problem you mention however is correct for the Clare.

Last edited:

ashtead

Visit site
It must have been the Clare then 20 mins to fix the issue on unload -half term holiday week and not a sign of Victoria being in service and no excuse of windy conditions but the ramps are definitely suspect somehow on Clare . One feature which has improved though is the food with more island produce .

Baltika_no_9

Visit site
It must have been the Clare then 20 mins to fix the issue on unload -half term holiday week and not a sign of Victoria being in service and no excuse of windy conditions but the ramps are definitely suspect somehow on Clare . One feature which has improved though is the food with more island produce .
If it was February half-term then the VoW was probably in refit (as she is now as a matter of fact).

ashtead

Visit site
I am not a ferry operator but you might have thought more DFL travelling at half term I guess but appreciate it needs servicing sometime just perhaps not when more might be visiting 🤔 -was busy in cowes and Seaview .

Baltika_no_9

Visit site
I’m sitting on St Clare right now. I have never seen them use a mezzazine deck, didn’t know she had one.
It is frequently used.

From the Wightlink website " Our second-largest ferry, St Clare is capable of two-tier boarding..."

There was a failure in the mezzanine deck mechanism a few days ago and perhaps that is why at the moment it is not in use.

Edit
About 30 seconds into this (from September 2023) shows the two car decks clearly in use as she approaches the Camber.

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
It is frequently used.

From the Wightlink website " Our second-largest ferry, St Clare is capable of two-tier boarding..."

There was a failure in the mezzanine deck mechanism a few days ago and perhaps that is why at the moment it is not in use.

Edit
About 30 seconds into this (from September 2023) shows the two car decks clearly in use as she approaches the Camber.
Thats the upper deck, not a mezzanine. However, as I was on the lower deck this morning, I did see a mechanism in the ceiling, and of course she has doors halfway up the walls. I say again, I have never seen it used. I have made about 500 silent crossings. I have travelled on the upper deck many times, including when an internal ramp was used to get to it. St Clare and Victoria share the upper deck ramp, built when V came into service. And the upper deck is in service today.

Last edited:

Baltika_no_9

Visit site
Again I don't wish to argue. I agree you cannot see the mezzanine in the video, my apologies, it was of no value in the discussion here. However I do not agree though that the mezzanine is never used. I have just spoken to someone at WL who knows the vessels very well. I asked if the mezzanine was used, his verbatim reply: "Two decks is normal operation and then we go 'in triple' for busy days". (Me) - So the mezzanine is used? "Yes very frequently during the summer. Friday to Monday every week I'd say during the summer at least. More so during the school holidays"

I have no reason to doubt this person's word. Equally I wholly accept that when you say you've never seen it in use that that's a fact too.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I don’t do much of my travelling on summer weekends, I’d be sailing of course. They can obviously only use the mid deck when they’ve got no high vehicles. The height limit is probably about 3.5 metres both on the mid deck and beneath. There’sca little space in front and behind, but in fact that’s unusable because of loading logistics, you’d have to drive under it one way or another. So it’s a no no for the festival, too many trucks of gear c9ming and going. Very limiting for WL.

Baltika_no_9

Visit site
Yes it is limiting that's for sure. In fact the Clare can't load full height HGVs at any time due to the presence of the mezzanine even in its stowed position. Anything bigger than a medium sized van can only be booked one of the other vessels but she can shift a lot of other traffic.